👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
They will likely base it on a production manual, but like the 86 they will essentially create a 'new' trans based on feel that suits Tada's preferences.
Similar to the GRMN Mark X which used a reworked version of the RA62/63 from the IS250/200d/220d.

Wasn't the manual transmission from the FRS/86/GT86/BRZ a Toyota transmission? I know for a fact the automatic was a Toyota transmission. I just find it funny that the automatic was before used in big, luxurious cars in the mid 2000's and then slapped that same transmission in a 2012 car.
The automatic and manual transmissions are both supplied by Aisin, and are from the same families as transmissions provided to Toyota for the Altezza (AZ6 manual, also used by Nissan and Mazda) and IS250 (automatic). While Aisin is a part of the Toyota group of companies, and they were used in Toyotas as well - and were clearly used because of the Toyota part of the partnership, Subaru is the one sourcing them and as such they are stamped with Subaru on the casing.

The differential is an actual Toyota unit, manufactured by Toyota. It uses the LSD from the IS300 and the case and ring & pinion from the IS250 AWD (newer models use a 4.3:1 gearset).

This brings up an interesting point, clearly Subaru is the OE for the transmissions in the BRZ/FR-S/86. They are supplied to Subaru by Aisin, but based on earlier designs that Aisin developed for and with Toyota and are also sold to other OE's. Just because a part says Subaru on it means that it's a Subaru part, or a Toyota part. There is a lot that goes into engineering something, and of course there will be a familiar design language used, etc., but a Toyota engineer can easily spec a part from the BMW parts bin; alternatively, Toyota could work with a manufacturer on a design and it could say BMW on it. The Supra has a ton of BMW parts bin stuff on it, and stuff BMW developed for the Z4 and other cars, but unless a part was used by BMW for a good amount of time before the Z4/Supra project got rolling, it's impossible to know what came from where. A lot of people will point at various parts labels on the car as meaning it is or isn't a Toyota because of situations like this.

Arguments will go on about this for years, so buckle up.

Jeff
Sponsored

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
Ok, so official release day, everything that has been leaked is confirmed. But No info on the manual?

Is this something that has been covered, but I haven't read it?
Is the 4cylinder coming to the US?

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
No manual at this point.

Jeff

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Given that the Japanese are speaking about the 4cyl already, I'd say 4cyl either isn't coming this year or may not end up coming to the US at all.

IIRC the 4cyl speak is all AT though atm.

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
Manual is what I am waiting if possible. Hopefully by that point it gets a real spoiler and a targa option. Highly doubtful but one can dream.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Given that the Japanese are speaking about the 4cyl already, I'd say 4cyl either isn't coming this year or may not end up coming to the US at all.

IIRC the 4cyl speak is all AT though atm.
I was thinking the same thing. It's kind of odd how Toyota Europe and Japan have announced the 4 cylinder Supra, but not a word from Toyota USA.

mkivdreamer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda S2000
Could someone explain how the possibility of a manual and a 4 cylinder are related?

I have been waiting for this car for so long, but the lack of a manual is a real disappointment. Everyone knows the most sought after mkiv is the 6 speed TT. To not offer a manual makes no sense.

Unfortunately it’s not a Supra to me without a manual. I’ll likely pass if it doesn’t happen.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Could someone explain how the possibility of a manual and a 4 cylinder are related?

I have been waiting for this car for so long, but the lack of a manual is a real disappointment. Everyone knows the most sought after mkiv is the 6 speed TT. To not offer a manual makes no sense.

Unfortunately it’s not a Supra to me without a manual. I’ll likely pass if it doesn’t happen.
Because the 4 banger Z4 20i in Europe already comes with a MT, whereas the I6 is auto only.

The Comedian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Subaru BRZ
I feel like they should have started production 50/50 auto/manual to see where customers are opening their wallets to.

I'm betting this would be a 70/30 take MT/AT

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I came away very impressed today all things considering. Of course I still want to see how the GRMN top tier cars play out but the #1 thing that instantly makes even an A90 Supra base model a no-go is the lack of a manual transmission.

I get it that BMW felt a drop-top convertible 2-seater with 382hp didn't need a manual for some reason. That's their business. But Toyota's variant of this co-developed car is a much more hardcore sports machine that is downright weird lacking a manual. Especially if it will be the LAST pure internal combustion engine high performance Toyota sports car.

TSS 2.0 and the cost to get that to work with a manual... yeah, I understand the need for this safety functionality of it but at the end of the day I really love driving a manual vehicle and until absolutely no more are sold... that's the kind of transmission option I am always going to gravitate towards. Even in rush hour traffic I'm still happy I have a stick shift.

I don't care how good the A90's ZF 8HP is with its 4.1 second 0-60. I wouldn't spend $50k+ on this car when anything else that is comparable with a proper manual is on sale.

So... I really like what I saw today and I am still interested in news and the other variants and special improvements that Tada-san wants to make along the way, how the aftermarket community will react, how the car will be raced, etc.

But for me, I won't even remotely consider an non-manual A90. It's a shame because I'm pretty much sold on this car otherwise. Life is too short to not have the style of fun you want to have with a fun car :)

Last edited:

Redphaser

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Golf R 6MT, 2006 Lotus Elise
I'm a bit torn on this. I could easily make the "it'll be my daily driver so auto is a better choice for traffic" argument, but I've daily driven manual for almost 6 years now and haven't personally had an issue. I love driving manual and most of my cars have been manual.

Initially, I was super bummed about not having the option for the Supra since it's on the top of my list when it comes to what I want my next car to be. But as time moves on I find myself not caring quite so much about it. Had it been a Dual Clutch transmission I would honestly be perfectly fine with no manual, but a "standard" torque converter auto didn't sit well with me, at least at first. I did google around a bit and read some info on the 8-speed ZF they're using and seeing the specs and learning more about it on it put me more at ease.

If they offered a manual I'd probably still lean that way but I don't think I'll lose any sleep at this point getting the auto (especially if I find a way to keep the Lotus Elise, that's going to be the kicker I think).

Right now I'm in the boat of "Manual would be awesome, but I'm fine without it."

Other than that I'm loving what I've seen so far :D

Status
Not open for further replies.