👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica
Manual in the 6 cyl Supra wont hurt 86 sales!....not in turns of performance. The 86 is still a great car and a affordable entry level sports car. Also great for 1st car buyers in the second hand segment for price and learning to drive there first car. People that buy the 86 and want to get more serious performance, have to spend monies on supercharging/turbocharging the car, to get it were they want in terms of performance. I feel many would like to buy straight from the showroom with the performance built in and with only a few simple bolt on upgrades will improve the performance greatly without spending serious money to separate it further from the 86.
Sponsored

mkivdreamer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda S2000
I don't get why Toyota is manufacturing the 4-cylinder Supra in the first place. If its an attempt to come up with something between the 86 and the Supra, it would have made more sense to build a performance version of the 86... something which people have been clamoring for for ages. Only build the 6-cylinder Supra and the cannibalization problem is solved.

Does anyone know how the 4 cylinder supra pricing will compare with the 86 in Japan? It seems the problem could also be solved there by pricing the 4 cylinder supra at something like 40k USD. 28k vs 40k is a totally different buyer demographic.

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
I don't get why Toyota is manufacturing the 4-cylinder Supra in the first place. If its an attempt to come up with something between the 86 and the Supra, it would have made more sense to build a performance version of the 86... something which people have been clamoring for for ages. Only build the 6-cylinder Supra and the cannibalization problem is solved.

Does anyone know how the 4 cylinder supra pricing will compare with the 86 in Japan? It seems the problem could also be solved there by pricing the 4 cylinder supra at something like 40k USD. 28k vs 40k is a totally different buyer demographic.
It's easy to answer that,some countries like japan or all of Europe have laws against big displament engines or high horsepower or a lot of co2!I don't know why but that is the truth!Toyota is a big company and they want to sell even if it is a sports car with not much gains!And they want to sell worldwide,so they offer in these countries smaller engines which solves most of the problems in these countries!That is why USA probably won't have a 4cylinder or it will come later as a cheaper solution.

For example in my country the new Z4 m40i costs around 95000euro while the 4 cylinder is 60.000euro!That is a massive difference.(GT86 is 38.000euro)

TheFalls

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
It's easy to answer that,some countries like japan or all of Europe have laws against big displament engines or high horsepower or a lot of co2!I don't know why but that is the truth!Toyota is a big company and they want to sell even if it is a sports car with not much gains!And they want to sell worldwide,so they offer in these countries smaller engines which solves most of the problems in these countries!That is why USA probably won't have a 4cylinder or it will come later as a cheaper solution.

For example in my country the new Z4 m40i costs around 95000euro while the 4 cylinder is 60.000euro!That is a massive difference.(GT86 is 38.000euro)
That is very true and it applies to many Asian countries to limit higher displacement cars. Why? It doesn't really make sense as not everyone buys the 'big' engines.

What is really confusing is offering two different power levels in the two liter turbo offering.
One is 197hp and other one is 255hp.
Now this will affect the GT86 market for sure.

Still awaiting the pricing strategy in these markets.

It would be better to keep the GT86 and offer the two litre turbo 255hp for those seeking a more powerful GT86!

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
That is very true and it applies to many Asian countries to limit higher displacement cars. Why? It doesn't really make sense as not everyone buys the 'big' engines.

What is really confusing is offering two different power levels in the two liter turbo offering.
One is 197hp and other one is 255hp.
Now this will affect the GT86 market for sure.

Still awaiting the pricing strategy in these markets.
I think some countries use power as a way to determine taxes. Also, it’s because BMW already makes 2 versions of the 4 cylinder

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Allegedly the new M3 will offer a 454HP manual trans option. :hmm:
If they are serious about the GRMN version they should easily beat that.
Toyota/GR, this is your chance to redeem yourself or disappoint the car world a second time.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
"Car world" = 14 year old kids that have never owned or could afford any generation of supra, eat tide pods and like that Jake Paul miscreant

Anyone with half a brain knows you're better off with a RWD turbo chassis for 50K than not.

Look what the 86 did for the competition, even in terms of pricing.

Kcam

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Turbo Frs
"Car world" = 14 year old kids that have never owned or could afford any generation of supra, eat tide pods and like that Jake Paul miscreant

Anyone with half a brain knows you're better off with a RWD turbo chassis for 50K than not.

You're so right. Everyone is so quick to say this or that car is shit because it doesn't suit my expectations perfectly... Because they only think of one person when designing a car. Not profitability of a car. People forget why they discontinued the Supra the first time around. They built a car that most couldn't afford. Now they built one that people can afford and they still complain. If they built the supra 2.0 of the 90's it would of easily been in the 80k range. Not a very good business model.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
You're so right. Everyone is so quick to say this or that car is shit because it doesn't suit my expectations perfectly... Because they only think of one person when designing a car. Not profitability of a car. People forget why they discontinued the Supra the first time around. They built a car that most couldn't afford. Now they built one that people can afford and they still complain. If they built the supra 2.0 of the 90's it would of easily been in the 80k range. Not a very good business model.
Not to mention complying with regulations that killed its older brother

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mitsubishi lancer 5-speed (out of commission), 1991 Firebird Formula (out of commission), 2008 Toyota Camry
The R33 is my favorite GTR.

I'd take a manual B58.

I wouldn't buy an automatic sports car, it's not a sports car to me with an automatic.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid

Lovely comment.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's

hmmm...i had to google both tide pods and Jake paul....lost faith in humanity!

Status
Not open for further replies.