šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Should give both options, auto for fastest possible lap times, manual for more engagement and let customers chose what they prefer.
I mean... for $112k + markups I'd like to see both options for the ultimate MKV. We'll see. I'm just still happy that any manual version of the car is coming at all but there should be a manual I-6 version on offer somewhere in the lineup.
Sponsored

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
All of this is great news, but I'll need to see it before I believe it. I agree with others that it'll only be available to the 4cycl car. Makes sense since the Z4 20i across the pond already runs it to the same motor (B48) the 4cycl Supra uses. Just change the gearing a bit due to the power/TQ difference. Also, the console area would have to be rearranged a bit to accommodate the placement of the shifter.

Plus, it'll help the 4cycl Supra appeal better. IMO 42k with the only bonus of weight reduction isn't going to appeal to many ppl in the US. A manual should help boost more interest to the MKV in general.

veloist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 MR2 NA, '20 BRZ tS, '20 Supra LE
I'd want to see a poll or survey from actual MKV owners about how they'd feel about their car being a manual or the powerplant with a manual.

While manual cars are more enjoyable in the element of driving experience, I personally feel that a manual is much more suited for a car with a more linear acceleration rather than the peaky punch that the Supra gives.

To be honest I was thinking that the car would be better with a manual when I babied it during its break-in miles (under 4K RPM). After the break-in period I appreciated the automatic especially because the car's peaky characteristic. I guess it helped that at the time I had a manual MK7.5 GTI to accommodate my "purist" side as a driving enthusiast, but I did end up trading that car and went back to a BRZ because I missed the higher-revving NA engine.

For me the real reason manual transmission is more enjoyable is because you can rev match downshift and heel-toe. I actually hate shifting under heavy acceleration.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Another way to look at it is that the current Supra MKV owners all were fine enough with an automatic that they bought the car instead of another sports/muscle/GT car that does offer a manual.

Itā€™s the people who were considering an MKV against other cars but instead went for, say, an M3/M4 manual, C7 Corvette manual, Porsche Cayman manual, Lotus Evora, 370Z 6MT, Mustang GT350 or Camaro SS.... anything manual with similar performance and tuneability... and who bought one of those or any other enthusiast manual car instead... who should be polled about a potential manual MKV.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Another way to look at it is that the current Supra MKV owners all were fine enough with an automatic that they bought the car instead of another sports/muscle/GT car that does offer a manual.

Itā€™s the people who were considering an MKV against other cars but instead went for, say, an M3/M4 manual, C7 Corvette manual, Porsche Cayman manual, Lotus Evora, 370Z 6MT, Mustang GT350 or Camaro SS.... anything manual with similar performance and tuneability... and who bought one of those or any other enthusiast manual car instead... who should be polled about a potential manual MKV.
I think most manual shoppers would lean towards an M2 competition. Similar performance and price point.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think most manual shoppers would lean towards an M2 competition. Similar performance and price point.
Agree, thanks! I momentarily blanked on that obvious one. The M2 Competition is definitely a direct competitor.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Y

^^ you hit the money on this. I knew a guy crying about how he is waiting for a 6 speed to come out but he even if it did, he couldnā€™t afford one! People crying about the bmw crap, they drive shit boxes.
yep, people want manuals but they either can't buy them or use them properly

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Is it weird that I love the 8 speed auto and made me want the car even more? Lol
I'm the same way. When I buy a performance car, I want performance parts.
My biggest gripe in my STI always was the lack of a DCT/auto. A Camry could beat it because it did have one. Makes no sense!
IMO in today's world, mid range models can have manuals. A WRX, a Civic SI, a 2.0 Supra, sure. But an STI, a Civic Type R, a 3.0 Supra, the "ultimate" performance versions, should always have a DCT/auto. Because with a manual it just isn't a performance car anymore. It's gimped. It's like asking an Olympic sprinter to go run in flip flops lol.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Is it weird that I love the 8 speed auto and made me want the car even more? Lol
After 20+years driving stick, I am glad I moved into supra 8 speed automatic.

Yes manual still connects you to the car, but with city covid traffic outta control, I'll take the auto and my ageing left foot agrees.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
If true, a manual transmission is going to boost the sales of this car...at least at its initial offering. Iā€™m holding out for the 6MT straight six, GRMN or not.
I'm intrigued about the torque numbers on the 500HP Supra
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.