šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
How will that make the Supra stand apart from the competition with those changes when the M2 will likely have the same upgrades?
The 2021 is already better than an M2 on the track, and if you'd rather drive a boring looking sedan than a sexy 2 seater coupe, then I guess the M2 will do just fine. It's not JUST about numbers. Although an M2 is more money for similar performance. As is an equally equipped Cayman S.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The 2021 is already better than an M2 on the track, and if you'd rather drive a boring looking sedan than a sexy 2 seater coupe, then I guess the M2 will do just fine. It's not JUST about numbers. Although an M2 is more money for similar performance. As is an equally equipped Cayman S.
The 2021 is better than the current M2, but Iā€™m talking about the new M2 coming in 2022.

I never said anything about numbers, I just asked how they will be different

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 2021 is better than the current M2, but Iā€™m talking about the new M2 coming in 2022.

I never said anything about numbers, I just asked how they will be different
Looks mostly. Price tag too.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
And upcoming Z
Not a chance. The current 370z is as fast to 60 as a 2.0 Supra with 95 horsepower less. A 400z with equal power to a 3.0 Supra (since they're putting out 388 at the wheels, crank is well over 400) on the same shitty old platform the 350 and 370 have, plus that cheap shit interior, will never be a threat.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Looks mostly. Price tag too.
Price tag in which way? The M240i was only $5k less than the 40i Supra and assuming it increases in price like all cars do in the next generation, the Supra 3.0 and M240i should be around the same price. I would expect the same thing with the GRMN and M2 which is why my question arises

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Not a chance. The current 370z is as fast to 60 as a 2.0 Supra with 95 horsepower less. A 400z with equal power to a 3.0 Supra (since they're putting out 388 at the wheels, crank is well over 400) on the same shitty old platform the 350 and 370 have, plus that cheap shit interior, will never be a threat.
I agree but that doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t competitors

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Price tag in which way? The M240i was only $5k less than the 40i Supra and assuming it increases in price like all cars do in the next generation, the Supra 3.0 and M240i should be around the same price. I would expect the same thing with the GRMN and M2 which is why my question arises
M240i is not in the same league as an M2 lol. M240i gets a few M dress up parts. Nothing more.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would think the GRMN will be an M4 competitor. Both in price and performance. Im not expecting the GRMN to be less than $70k

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
M240i is not in the same league as an M2 lol. M240i gets a few M dress up parts. Nothing more.
Iā€™m simply comparing similarly equipped models to gauge potential price, I never mentioned performance anywhere.

I would think the GRMN will be an M4 competitor. Both in price and performance. Im not expecting the GRMN to be less than $70k
That doesnā€™t change my question though whether itā€™s the M2 or M4. They will still have to differentiate themselves on the market

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m simply comparing similarly equipped models to gauge potential price, I never mentioned performance anywhere.

That doesnā€™t change my question though. They will still have to differentiate themselves on the market
Same way the M2/Z4/Supra do now. Some are badge shoppers, having to have the BMW badge, some need a back seat, the Supra won't have the latest M2 engine or infotainment system, some want a convertible, and some want the Supra.

Same will go for the GRMN/M4 where even more people will go for the BMW badge I think. Plus it's more practical. I want the Supra/GRMN because the practical side isn't an issue for me. I'm hoping it'll be a street legal GT4 looking Supra.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Same way the M2/Z4/Supra do now. Some are badge shoppers, having to have the BMW badge, some need a back seat, the Supra won't have the latest M2 engine or infotainment system, some want a convertible, and some want the Supra.

Same will go for the GRMN/M4 where even more people will go for the BMW badge I think. Plus it's more practical. I want the Supra/GRMN because the practical side isn't an issue for me. I'm hoping it'll be a street legal GT4 looking Supra.
The 2 series and M2 will be more engaging than the current models like the rest of G generation BMWs which was the edge the Supra had. I think if the real only difference being the backseat, thatā€™s not enough to set them apart.

I just donā€™t see how you can have so many coupes with the same 30i, 40i, M/GRMN variants when coupes donā€™t sell. Mercedes just cut 7 coupes from their lineup because of this. Iā€™m not saying BMW or Toyota will cut their respective models, but I think itā€™s fair to show that too much model overlap is a bad thing.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 2 series and M2 will be more engaging than the current models like the rest of G generation BMWs which was the edge the Supra had. I think if the real only difference being the backseat, thatā€™s not enough to set them apart.

I just donā€™t see how you can have so many coupes with the same 30i, 40i, M/GRMN variants when coupes donā€™t sell. Mercedes just cut 7 coupes from their lineup because of this. Iā€™m not saying BMW or Toyota will cut their respective models, but I think itā€™s fair to show that too much model overlap is a bad thing.
Mercedes is an old fart brand. People shopping for coupes tend to be younger and if they want German, gravitate more towards Audi and BMW. I know I would. Older people mostly like 4 doors and SUV's.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Iā€™m glad for the coupes that are on the market though. They may not sell the way they used to but they do sell in a modest take rate depending on how a coupe is designed and targeted.

Excluding low to the ground wagons if you remove the sea of boring crossovers and SUVs (that arenā€™t purpose built off-roaders like the Wranger, Bronco, G-Wagen, etc.) many automaker lineups begin to look very thin.

Anyway a variant like an M and especially 200-unit rare GRMN are exceptions within the production of a coupe bodystyleā€™s volume run.

The bread and butter sellers are obviously the non-M versions of the same BMWs and the non-GRMN versions of the Supra.

I see it as unfortunate that Mercedes Benz just cut out quite that many coupes from their lineup. Yes, a couple of them were questionably superfluous but they went a just bit too far.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.