👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Word is, the manual transmission testing is not going very well :hmm:. Exec's not giving thumbs up (yet) because testing is not meeting strict Toyota quality standards. Not sure if this means mechanical, noise(s), feel, etc...:dunno: Will share more as I find out.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ Thank you for this update. I hope this is just a temporary bump in their testing... or a matter of subjective opinion.

This is the last generation Supra that can have a manual, so... if BMW can continue to offer one in the M3/M4 and 2 Series then Toyota should be able to as well.

Thank you PerformanceSound and please keep us posted if you hear more.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
^^ Thank you for this update. I hope this is just a temporary bump in their testing... or a matter of subjective opinion.

This is the last generation Supra that can have a manual, so... if BMW can continue to offer one in the M3/M4 and 2 Series then Toyota should be able to as well.

Thank you PerformanceSound and please keep us posted if you hear more.
The fact that Toyota is testing a manual is great! This at least let’s us know they haven’t completely flushed the idea. Hope they come up with a good solution....a good “beefy” solution.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The fact that Toyota is testing a manual is great! This at least let’s us know they haven’t completely flushed the idea. Hope they come up with a good solution....a good “beefy” solution.
As someone who regularly drives with a beefy but by today’s standards “crude” R154 manual with a twin-plate clutch I’m fine with a beefy manual slightly short of 100% perfection.

If anything I hope they can tune the ECU software to drastically minimize any rev-hang.

I agree that it is a very, very good thing that Toyota is testing a manual MKV! I want them to get it right and succeed!

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Since Toyota has ties with Subaru, they should use their STI transmission. It's a damn near bulletproof rod driven tranny that's a joy to use. And it can hold more than enough power.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Didn't they say even before release that they have been testing a manual A90?

Edit: Over a year ago https://drivetribe.com/p/toyota-has...6eWtS-iRqVT-4SP96Q?iid=DLrEyGt6QS-CvxDJ47NjCw
Yes. And since the platform was designed with at least one manual variant at launch (BMW Z4 2.0T manual 197hp for Germany) both companies left themselves a pathway to other manual variants.

According to A70 a long while back there was some manual Supra prototype being tested before the first model year launched but it didn’t get very far along through the process (prior to the first model year launch).

At that point in time the issue was whether or not a manual Supra could be made to work with Toyota’s mandatory Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 suite of technologies. A very high figure to develop a suitable manual that would be compatible was mentioned at that time.

I’d expect an existing BMW 6-speed manual gearbox to be adapted but I’d love for an even beefier design to be introduced.

If the TSS 2.0 compatibility vs the excellent feel that Tetsuya Tada and Akio Toyoda want vs Toyota’s reliability standards are the main challenges right now I hope they stick with it to make this happen. Especially on the 3.0L.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Since Toyota has ties with Subaru, they should use their STI transmission. It's a damn near bulletproof rod driven tranny that's a joy to use. And it can hold more than enough power.
That STI 6-speed manual box is excellent. However it would only work on an AWD front engine vehicle where that engine is relatively short (and probably only four cylinders).

Even the 2nd gen 86/BRZ will most likely continue to use the Toyota TL70 (modified Aisin AZ6) 6-speed box.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
At that point in time the issue was whether or not a manual Supra could be made to work with Toyota’s mandatory Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 suite of technologies. A very high figure to develop a suitable manual that would be compatible was mentioned at that time.

I’d expect an existing BMW 6-speed manual gearbox to be adapted but I’d love for an even beefier design to be introduced.

If the TSS 2.0 compatibility vs the excellent feel that Tetsuya Tada and Akio Toyoda want vs Toyota’s reliability standards are the main challenges right now I hope they stick with it to make this happen. Especially on the 3.0L.
TSS 2.0 exists with MT's, but of course they aren't using BMW hardware for any of it, so there would definitely be a development cost associated with it.

Reliability/quality/drivability standards are also things to be considered for sure, but I'd love if Toyota just said screw it and gave us whatever works that is plenty strong. I doubt there would be many complaints.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
That STI 6-speed manual box is excellent. However it would only work on an AWD front engine vehicle where that engine is relatively short (and probably only four cylinders).

Even the 2nd gen 86/BRZ will most likely continue to use the Toyota TL70 (modified Aisin AZ6) 6-speed box.
I expect you're right, though I would expect making a different case and output shaft with the rest of the internals could be done relatively easily. It's not going to happen, but it could be done, haha.

Jeff

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TSS 2.0 exists with MT's, but of course they aren't using BMW hardware for any of it, so there would definitely be a development cost associated with it.

Reliability/quality/drivability standards are also things to be considered for sure, but I'd love if Toyota just said screw it and gave us whatever works that is plenty strong. I doubt there would be many complaints.

Jeff
They have made TSS 2.0 work with the Corolla M/T and 86 M/T, yes. And the GR Yaris and soon the GR Corolla. Seems they can do the same with BMW’s hardware and safety suite.

I’m with you 100% on just using a strong manual transmission even if it’s not a “refined” experience. I’d consider a T56/TR6060 fine honestly if it were in BMW’s parts bin. Their manual that was used by EAG or from the upcoming M3/M4 would be fine.

Mitigating rev-hang in a modern manual car is the largest complaint that people have.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I expect you're right, though I would expect making a different case and output shaft with the rest of the internals could be done relatively easily. It's not going to happen, but it could be done, haha.

Jeff
It could be done, yes ; ) But I agree that isn’t going to happen. If Subaru/STI *did* allow/make a RWD version of that 6-speed though... look out!

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not sure if this video has been posted here before but it's the first that I have seen it. Just a taste of the 6-speed manual 2.0L spec that BMW Z4 buyers have available in Europe and what I still hope comes over to the Supra MKV.

Note that in this trim the Z4 2.0L keeps the larger brakes. It's not clear whether or not it gets an LSD of any kind or if has a conventional open differential.

2022 Supra 2.0L 6MT with the 255hp engine...?

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
I'm not sure if this video has been posted here before but it's the first that I have seen it. Just a taste of the 6-speed manual 2.0L spec that BMW Z4 buyers have available in Europe and what I still hope comes over to the Supra MKV.

Note that in this trim the Z4 2.0L keeps the larger brakes. It's not clear whether or not it gets an LSD of any kind or if has a conventional open differential.

2022 Supra 2.0L 6MT with the 255hp engine...?

Sounds like a dustbuster vacuum cleaner.
No thanks.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like a dustbuster vacuum cleaner.
No thanks.
^^ Replace the factory stock exhaust system. Problem solved. The exhaust note is getting subdued in many brand new performance vehicles especially within the EU and other countries. It's not limited to the Z4 and Supra.

It's a 6-speed manual Z4 and that's already far more interesting to me than any automatic Z4.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.