Is it worth it to buy a 2020 Supra now?

RollTideRoll

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hello, new member here excited to get my hands on a new Supra.

The question is it worth it to buy a discounted 2020 supra right now with how the economy is going down the drain and all, get the new 2021 supra which will most likely be around the same price as the 2020 version (at most 3-5k more msrp) with a slightly better engine, or wait even longer for the Supra GRMN version, which will be the top end supra not including the GT4 Supra if that ever reaches the NA market?

I would love to get a discounted 2020 supra but seeing how I will just be going stock the extra 50 horsepower is nice with the b58d engine.

I wish we had more info on the GRMN version, it should be less than 100k (hopefully because the GT4 Supra is 195k) , but more than 60k--still in my price range. The carbon fiber elements as purported sounds amazing.

If I can get a new 2020 supra for 40k at 0% that would convince me seeing I've seen huge price slashes on the 2020 supra, some I've seen as low as 48k brand new (a few more months of this virus should decreaae decrease prices even lower), demand is down and these dealerships are getting desperate to sell their inventory (I've read some at 7 months of inventory).

Right now it is the best time to buy a new car it seems...

I know I'm rambling, just need some advise.

TIA!
Sponsored

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, get one slightly used for around 40k. If you plan on having 1k+ HP then wait for the 2021 otherwise the 2020 is the better deal

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If you asked this back in Feb, would have been a different answer, but supposedly 2021 will get to dealers in June. Month or so away.. if covid hasn't delayed things.
I'd reach out to your Texas dealers to see if they know anything, if members here don't have further insight. I know Toyota halted production like everyone else, dunno about Magna, however I know some OEMs haven't changed their SOP dates, so maybe it'll launch on time.
If dealers say, delayed, not until September or something and if you really want to drive it this summer with a nice discount then buy now unless you want the A91 edition blue..
People already have 800-1000whp with B58c.. can't speculate if tuners/suppliers would drop support for it. Would be super awkward...
My 2cents

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The GT4 Supra runs the B58C. 420hp in an enduro race trim.

Speaks volumes of Toyota's confidence in the B58C heat management

Jā€™s Mk5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Phantom Premium

The question is it worth it to buy a discounted 2020 supra right now with how the economy is going down the drain and all, get the new 2021 supra which will most likely be around the same price as the 2020 version (at most 3-5k more msrp) with a slightly better engine, or wait even longer for the Supra GRMN version, which will be the top end supra not including the GT4 Supra if that ever reaches the NA market?

I would love to get a discounted 2020 supra but seeing how I will just be going stock the extra 50 horsepower is nice with the b58d engine.

I wish we had more info on the GRMN version, it should be less than 100k (hopefully because the GT4 Supra is 195k) , but more than 60k--still in my price range. The carbon fiber elements as purported sounds amazing.

If I can get a new 2020 supra for 40k at 0% that would convince me seeing I've seen huge price slashes on the 2020 supra, some I've seen as low as 48k brand new (a few more months of this virus should decreaae decrease prices even lower), demand is down and these dealerships are getting desperate to sell their inventory (I've read some at 7 months of inventory).

TIA!
Good luck finding a new 2020 for 40k. I just got the 3.0 premium phantom matte grey for 52k and that was about the best deal Iā€™ve seen.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

TIA!
To your question, it's a yes and no. If you can get at least 3-5 grand under hopefully 5, and want to deal with some headaches because of it being a first gen then sure. The car is fun, Toyota is trying to deal with some recalls like i.e (software bugs, head lights on some cars, rear backup camera, diff seal wearing at or around 1600 for which I'm going through at this moment), then sure go for it. I don't regret buying mine. It's still under warranty. As for the GRMN version I read that it's only software that is getting upgraded it's 47hp more. https://club4ag.com/tag/trd/
You only live once, so go for it. That's what I did.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
40k for a new 2020 is impossible. The best deal I found was 51k for a premium.
That's better than what I bought mine for. I bought mine for 58 minus taxes all over the place. Even for the new ones next year it would be expensive like the GRMN or GT. If that is true that it might be out?

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a second car that is a daily, then go for it. Less miles put on the Supra. I have the Supra as my daily, but I try to take Ubers, walk or ride a bike to put less miles on it for the issues that I'm starting to see. If it is in your budget as well and it won't break the bank then give it a shot and see if you can get a that price, I wouldn't recommend getting second hand even for this car. It's a risk.

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
If you have a second car that is a daily, then go for it. Less miles put on the Supra. I have the Supra as my daily, but I try to take Ubers, walk or ride a bike to put less miles on it for the issues that I'm starting to see. If it is in your budget as well and it won't break the bank then give it a shot and see if you can get a that price, I wouldn't recommend getting second hand even for this car. It's a risk.
I did read your other thread about the diff seal. It looks like a terrible issue. However, I am curious if you have faced any other serious issues as well?

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I did read your other thread about the diff seal. It looks like a terrible issue. However, I am curious if you have faced any other serious issues as well?
No, I haven't really faced major issues. Just the seal and bugs in system software that happens here and there. Bugs don't really hinder the function of the car or the driving of the car. I don't regret buying it despite some flaws. It's still fun and it's a badass car.

SwagBaybee

First Name
Willl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tacoma, Sonoma, BMW

TIA!
I've been entertaining the same idea for the past month myself. (I'm also a brand new member here btw). With the downturn in our economy AND an upgraded 2021 model around the corner (three weeks from the time of this post), it should be considered a criminal offense for dealerships to not sell the 2020 models with a decent markdown. There's also good chance you might find a private seller who is willing to part with his 2020 and take a 20+% lost in order to purchase a newer model.

The 2020 GR Supra is technically a brand new invention for Toyota, it is always a good idea to let car manufacturers to work out the bugs within the first two years of a new design. I think 2022/23 will the best years for GR Supra (although I'm already liking 2021)

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been entertaining the same idea for the past month myself. (I'm also a brand new member here btw). With the downturn in our economy AND an upgraded 2021 model around the corner (three weeks from the time of this post), it should be considered a criminal offense for dealerships to not sell the 2020 models with a decent markdown. There's also good chance you might find a private seller who is willing to part with his 2020 and take a 20+% lost in order to purchase a newer model.

The 2020 GR Supra is technically a brand new invention for Toyota, it is always a good idea to let car manufacturers to work out the bugs within the first two years of a new design. I think 2022/23 will the best years for GR Supra (although I'm already liking 2021)

20% loss for a premium wonā€™t bring the car down to 40k. Also itā€™s been stated 2021 models only have 400 available for delivery so I wouldnā€™t expect a massive amount of those to drive down pricing at dealers. Lowest price I have seen for a premium currently is 50k plus TTL. Going to drop the car to 40k is asking dealers to lower the car by 25% off MSRP which is insane for a first year car and getting 0% interest for a low volume car is even crazier. The high volume cars all have 0% financing.
Sponsored