Is the HKS Super Turbo louder than stock?

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I may still grab one from Josh at Merkari, trying to see if I can quiet down the AWE Touring at start up so the local PD isnt so angry.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
I may still grab one from Josh at Merkari, trying to see if I can quiet down the AWE Touring at start up so the local PD isnt so angry.
I would think the only way to do that would be tuned and get a cold start delete since the valve opens on cold starts.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I would think the only way to do that would be tuned and get a cold start delete since the valve opens on cold starts.
Well, two things.
1. AWE doesn’t use the valve
2. Valve is closed on cold start

I’d have to get a tune, or put the stock exhaust back on for a bit.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Finally caved and ordered one. Will have a thorough write up and some videos when it arrives. AWE touring setups (yes both) will be for sale shortly.

Thanks to Mike @Extreme Power House for the quickly replies and great forum discount! Can’t wait to get this installed!

*Order cancelled, see page 3 for update

Last edited:

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Finally caved and ordered one. Will have a thorough write up and some videos when it arrives. AWE touring setups (yes both) will be for sale shortly.

Thanks to Mike @Extreme Power House for the quickly replies and great forum discount! Can’t wait to get this installed!
Thank you for the support, the exhaust is in stock and will probably ship tomorrow, or the day after in the worst case scenario

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT

Awesome! I look forward to the video as there isn't much on it.

Illest1Five

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra MT 45th Anniversary, '06 Impreza STI
I've have a HKS Super Turbo Muffler exhaust + AA Downpipe and ran the HKS with OE downpipe for a few months. Here is my assessment of it.

HKS + OE DP
  • Exhaust is pretty quiet and only slightly louder than stock, probably several decibels above OEM - according to HKS' blog, HKS STM idle is ~ 61dB and reaches 87dB (they aren't clear about their testing methodology or if JDM OE spec has different exhaust). OEM idle Is 58dB and reaches 85dB.
  • OEM exhaust is a little raspy, HKS is slightly deeper. The pops and burbles are slightly less audible from inside the car from the deeper tone.
  • It sounds like this: HKS GR Supra Project DEVELOPMENT Vlog Vol.7.

HKS + AA DP
  • When the valve is closed on a cold start, there is a slightly audible buzz from the exhaust gas trying to escape through the valved pipe at elevated RPMs. This wasn't noticeable with the OE downpipe but it's more pronounced with the AA DP. I'm not bugged by it but some might be. Everything sounds normal after the valve opens and RPMs drop.
  • The tone is slightly louder with the DP, slightly more raspy, but still deeper than stock. The pops and burbles are more audible inside and outside of the car.
  • If I had to estimate, it probably is somewhere in the range of 95-100db. At the track, I can hear the exhaust more with the windows open. With the exhaust only, I heard more wind noise than exhaust.
HKS STM is a good alternative if you don't your exhaust to be a cop magnet. It's not for everyone but I prefer a tamed exhaust to avoid attention from law enforcement.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I've have a HKS Super Turbo Muffler exhaust + AA Downpipe and ran the HKS with OE downpipe for a few months. Here is my assessment of it.

HKS + OE DP
  • Exhaust is pretty quiet and only slightly louder than stock, probably several decibels above OEM - according to HKS' blog, HKS STM idle is ~ 61dB and reaches 87dB (they aren't clear about their testing methodology or if JDM OE spec has different exhaust). OEM idle Is 58dB and reaches 85dB.
  • OEM exhaust is a little raspy, HKS is slightly deeper. The pops and burbles are slightly less audible from inside the car from the deeper tone.
  • It sounds like this: HKS GR Supra Project DEVELOPMENT Vlog Vol.7.

HKS + AA DP
  • When the valve is closed on a cold start, there is a slightly audible buzz from the exhaust gas trying to escape through the valved pipe at elevated RPMs. This wasn't noticeable with the OE downpipe but it's more pronounced with the AA DP. I'm not bugged by it but some might be. Everything sounds normal after the valve opens and RPMs drop.
  • The tone is slightly louder with the DP, slightly more raspy, but still deeper than stock. The pops and burbles are more audible inside and outside of the car.
  • If I had to estimate, it probably is somewhere in the range of 95-100db. At the track, I can hear the exhaust more with the windows open. With the exhaust only, I heard more wind noise than exhaust.
HKS STM is a good alternative if you don't your exhaust to be a cop magnet. It's not for everyone but I prefer a tamed exhaust to avoid attention from law enforcement.
This is perfect, thanks! Did you delete the in cabin noise as well?

cuzin.danny

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium 2003 G35 Coupe 6MT

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score