GR Supra resale values: Is the Supra gonna depreciate like the germans? / Expected Depreciation

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I mean Turbro disgrees lol.

There are always the exceptional 'right place, right time' deals that skew the average. So said a different way, per my personal experience 'in the community' since ~2000 and having bought 5 and sold 4 along the way.... At any point in history a clean, decent mileage TT 6sp at/below mid-20's would have been an exceptional buy.
Sponsored

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
There are always the exceptional 'right place, right time' deals that skew the average. So said a different way, per my personal experience 'in the community' since ~2000 and having bought 5 and sold 4 along the way.... At any point in history a clean, decent mileage TT 6sp at/below mid-20's would have been an exceptional buy.
Of course there are exceptions, but I am not saying necessarily the cleanest or best Supra. I won’t argue the better examples went that cheap, but overall depreciation for the MKIV was very significant.

john_galt

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
i feel like german cars have new versions with bigger changes more often so the cars are bound to depreciate more when newer ones keep coming out. supras not so much

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
You guys are completely ignoring the influence of the media and "Youtubers" on sales at this time and age. There is a reason why every other new "car guy" was buying a GT86. This car alone made a few Youtubers famous (ex. TJ Hunt). He started as a Justin Beiber wanna-be and now he's a million dollar company owner in just a few years thanks to his BRZ videos. Just look at his car collection now and how many people show up at his pop-up shops wherever he goes. The MKV is no GT86, most of the demographic who could afford a new GT86 will probably settle for a used one making it hold it's value.

The rumor is TJ is going to be one of the very first to receive his A90 and he has attended at least one "secret" event by Toyota to promote this car last year. If he and a few others do the same move, they would be doing Toyota more marketing than any other advertisement platform could.

Not to mention the +1000hp MKVs we will see by the end of the year running 8s at the track and all the engine swaps (2JZ or not). 1320 video would be all over the car just how they turned the GTR into what it is today.

The Z4 will get non of this, which is why it will be forgotten like the older models. Before you know it, it will turn into what the SC/IS300 has become, a source for spare engines and parts. While the MKV will hold it's value thanks to all the hype it's going to make.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
I agree with BRX. Especially if they limit production of the mkv like I've been told.
The aftermarket for this car is going to be insane and that is really what is going to make the mkv special. It will be an easily modded inexpensive platform.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Ha funny.

If everyone found out years ago, how would it impact the used car market years from now?

That is still a legitimate question... BMW will know how to work on the car better than a Toyota tech who is just seeing this engine for the first time.

Also, WE (forum guys) have known for years because we have been following the car. The other 99% of the general public are clueless. I cant tell you how many times people approach me about the new Supra and are completely clueless that its built by BMW. THOSE are the general public I speak of that will be buying the car... So yes, after the public finds out it will take a hit.

People may not be cross- shopping a Camry and Supra, but Toyota's are known for reliability and longevity with minimal maintenance and low costs. If you think that wont play a factor into the sales then you are delusional my friend. I used the M depreciating in value, but overall all German manufacturers Audi, BMW, Mercedes all have horrendous re-sale values.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
That is still a legitimate question... BMW will know how to work on the car better than a Toyota tech who is just seeing this engine for the first time.
Out of the dozens are dozens of partnered vehicles, when has that ever been the case?

Also, WE (forum guys) have known for years because we have been following the car. The other 99% of the general public are clueless. I cant tell you how many times people approach me about the new Supra and are completely clueless that its built by BMW. THOSE are the general public I speak of that will be buying the car... So yes, after the public finds out it will take a hit.
You say this like a PSA is going broadcast and suddenly people will be opening their eyes quick to sell their car like it's stock is falling. This is a gradual phenomenon that doesn't result in a 'hit.'

People may not be cross- shopping a Camry and Supra, but Toyota's are known for reliability and longevity with minimal maintenance and low costs. If you think that wont play a factor into the sales then you are delusional my friend.
Don't put words in my mouth, I did not say it wouldn't be a factor. M models are not known for reliability with minimal maintenance and they have the same depreciation rate as Toyota as whole, so what does this say about the car market that you're over-generalizing?

I used the M depreciating in value, but overall all German manufacturers Audi, BMW, Mercedes all have horrendous re-sale values.
That is only remotely relevant if you completely disregard what this car is and it's market and should not be treated like german cars overall. This car isn't an off lease 320i without any options or packages.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m feeling the automatic version is going to depreciate. The Supra will only become a legend once it will be made available with a 3.0-liter I6 manual transmission. Please don’t disappoint us enthusiasts, Toyota.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Incremental progress/improvements year over year will put downward pressure on each prior MY. Case in point, if the 2021 MY gets the B58D as purported here then the 2020's will take a big hit. If/when a manual is introduced.....

I keep seeing comments about how the aftermarket will be yuuuuuge..! The turbo BMW aftermarket has had 13+ years to mature, so aside from the Supra nameplate I'm not sure I see much distinction.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
How about companies like HKS. They already have MKV parts testing for only the supra. How about all these companies that already have a car on order just for engineering/manufacturing aftermarket parts.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There will be new traditionally JDM players in the BMW tuning arena in order to stay relevant, i.e., HKS Pretty standard stuff here so far.

upload_2019-6-27_16-42-13.png

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Incremental progress/improvements year over year will put downward pressure on each prior MY. Case in point, if the 2021 MY gets the B58D as purported here then the 2020's will take a big hit. If/when a manual is introduced.....

I keep seeing comments about how the aftermarket will be yuuuuuge..! The turbo BMW aftermarket has had 13+ years to mature, so aside from the Supra nameplate I'm not sure I see much distinction.
Maybe in the U.S., but don't forget that EU countries will never get the B58D as it cannot meet their emission regulations, from my understanding. Therefore, the U.S. may have a stronger aftermarket for the B58D, but the B58C should in theory rule elsewhere.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
In my opinion, the price is dropping not because way it is. If current market was as it was in 2019 spring/summer, all 2020 supra could've been sold out and people may not had to give it up. However, car sales are way down in current market (Covid-19) due to economic crisis. So dealers have high inventory as well as 2021 models are coming in soon. They need to clear the lot for new inventory for perhaps for more practical cars which will sell. Hence dealers may not order as many 2021 models and we may not see any discount like what we see today on 2021 models. So the current price doesn't represent depreciation but more like market value. who knows, the used supra price may stay as is 'til next year.
Sponsored