Is the US Supra louder and more powerful than the European version?

Zwitterion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes C43
Since the EU requires some special particulate filter thing known to decrease power output, how does both the US and EU version produce 335hp. Is it expected that the US model also comes with said filter? IIRC, Tada san announced in some vide that the car will sound better in the US due to less strict regulations. Can we expect power output to be closer to the 382hp claimed by the US spec Z4?

EDIT: Forgot to add, Motor Trend seemed to hint at the US spec Supra receiving the particulate filter, but I believe they are just guessing as I couldn't find a source.
Sponsored

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I haven't seen anything other than 335 for the car. However, I'm going to be dynoing it shortly after I pick one up, so hopefully that'll give us an idea of what we may be working with.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
particulate filter is not fitted to the Z4 or A90 in any market.

The 382 Z4 is the same engine with a different tune.

OP
OP
Zwitterion

Zwitterion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes C43
particulate filter is not fitted to the Z4 or A90 in any market.

The 382 Z4 is the same engine with a different tune.
Recently, Europe has switched over to a new, stricter, testing procedure for emissions called the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). As a result, companies like Volkswagen have been forced to lower the power output of cars like the Golf R to meet the restrictions.

And because of these strict guidelines, the European Z4 M40i will only produce 342 hp, 40 less than the US car.

This is what the internet says. I think this exact quote is from CarBuzz.com. But maybe the Supra is just tuned differently.

BlackJet

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
e90M3
that was proven to be misleading.
Not misleading. The Euro M2 Comp has particulate filters in the exhaust, the Euro M2C’s run 0.1bar more boost to compensate. If you buy a new M3/M4 now in Europe they also now are fitted with OPF’s. The Z4 will be the same way. Porsche will now start putting gas particulate filters on their new models in Europe. 718 GT4 will have them, when it hits Euro dealers. US is free of these restrictive filters. The US M2 Comp has a second set of cats, instead of the OPF’s. A lot less restrictive, exhaust sound and power output.

imoj1

First Name
Omran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95' Supra, '15 Maserati, '98 Skyline, '15 Mustang, M5
i heard in some of the official supra reviews in Youtube that Toyota was lucky to get the Supra with this Exhaust sound but only in USA
i live in Dubai, and we usually get the European version
as far as my research, i only found carwow video seems not in USA as he said it was in Spain, and the Supra has Toyota word above the supra logo on the back which i think its the European version because UK instagram is always posting the exact same version of that supra
in carwow video the exhaust really didn't sound loud with pops and crackles like the US version

im really afraid that only US supra will have entirely diffrent exhaust sound and system

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
It seem to be the trend that certain USDM cars equipped with louder exhaust than the European version. Aside from the exhaust particulate filter, there is also a more strict regulation on exhaust noise level.

I might be able to supply a black USDM Launch Edition should you be hell-bent on one ;)

Parappo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Take a hear at 2:55min
EU version. Sounds more quiet than what I've heard in the US videos.

In person things are much different. Don't know if the EU car will thenn really be too quiet then. My '18 Mustang is equipped with a filter in EU, which resulted in a more quiet exhaust compared to the US model, but in person that thing still is pretty loud. :headbang:

imoj1

First Name
Omran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yes as i thought then, im frustrated :(

we will need some help from our US friends to tell us exactly what to filter or what to do in order to get same sound

It seem to be the trend that certain USDM cars equipped with louder exhaust than the European version. Aside from the exhaust particulate filter, there is also a more strict regulation on exhaust noise level.

I might be able to supply a black USDM Launch Edition should you be hell-bent on one ;)

imoj1

First Name
Omran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
its more quiet than the normal mode of US supra, shame

Take a hear at 2:55min
EU version. Sounds more quiet than what I've heard in the US videos.

In person things are much different. Don't know if the EU car will thenn really be too quiet then. My '18 Mustang is equipped with a filter in EU, which resulted in a more quiet exhaust compared to the US model, but in person that thing still is pretty loud. :headbang:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
There is a strict pass-by-noise criteria in EU. I get the strict emission requirements, but I wonder which zealous person came up with this noise requirement.. I do kindda get it as EU is mostly urban driving, but I wish (I don't know if it exists) there was like a in-city noise should be below this dB and in highway shall be less restricted. It's quite possible as OE's use baffles these days, for quiet start, etc...

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
I'm not sure if it is possible, but I know Jaguar are apparently doing software updates to the exhaust to meet sound regulations. My Dad told me his F-Type R got an update to quiet down the exhaust in normal mode at its most recent service but leaves sport unchanged. I wonder if it could be done to get the US spec exhaust in Europe and just tune the sound to be quieter in normal mode to meet regulations but leave the sport alone to get the full noise?

imoj1

First Name
Omran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i dont know what to do
i know myself wont wait and will grab the first one in front of me
but the right thing for me really is to wait and see if there is way to get same as USA supra by tuning or removing filter etc
otherwise import US version might be a good idea