Is there a procedure to reset throttle adaptations?

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Im an idiot and started the car with the throttle wiring disconnected. It surprisingly started, but poorly. I realized what I did and turned it off, plugged it back in. Car started right up and seems ok but I did not get a chance to drive it because it was pouring.

Im now getting a CEL that comes back even after clearing it: 101F01 Throttle angle - absolute pressure intake manifold; Comparison: Pressure too low

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes but that did not do anything as well. Is there a way to reset the throttle adaptations? I assume the ECU was not happy about not having a TB hooked up to it. I see there is this SB but im not sure if it entirely applies to us: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163029-9999.pdf

For complete context I was installing a Titan water/meth kit. Car runs ecutek but I couldnt see anything obvious to easily reset it.
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I see there is this SB but im not sure if it entirely applies to us: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163029-9999.pdf
This is N55. Not applicable.

Clearing the codes should handle this if everything else is wired up ok. Did you miss anything else? Is the throttle body mounted and seated correctly? Did you leave the battery disconnected for like 10+ minutes?

This isn't adaptations persay, the ECU still thinks there isn't a throttle body attached. Are the connections all seated properly?

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
If you know someone near you with BM3, it does give you the option to reset adaptation of throttle body. Not sure if it can be done with bimmerlink but wouldn’t be surprised if it could. But also look at your wiring and make sure there aren’t any leaks like mentioned above
2AF8F6E8-6BAF-4230-8CF1-2E71F763BA34.png

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
This is N55. Not applicable.

Clearing the codes should handle this if everything else is wired up ok. Did you miss anything else? Is the throttle body mounted and seated correctly? Did you leave the battery disconnected for like 10+ minutes?

This isn't adaptations persay, the ECU still thinks there isn't a throttle body attached. Are the connections all seated properly?
If you know someone near you with BM3, it does give you the option to reset adaptation of throttle body. Not sure if it can be done with bimmerlink but wouldn’t be surprised if it could. But also look at your wiring and make sure there aren’t any leaks like mentioned above
2AF8F6E8-6BAF-4230-8CF1-2E71F763BA34.png
Thanks for the comments guys. It turns out I’m an even bigger idiot then I previously thought…

If anyone stumbles on this do yourself a favor and just remove the intake and charge pipe. It gives you way more room and will prevent what I’m going to explain.

So as I said the car ran fine with the TB disconnected, which I was surprised by. Thinking about it last night I thought maybe I cracked the charge pipe by trying to flex it enough to get the TB and spacer installed. By doing that it made me get enough room to see that I did not get the captive pegs set correctly on the throttle body which meant a ton of air was leaking by. I removed everything and made sure it was all correctly seated.

I reflashed my tune in hopes that it would reset any stored values and the car no longer throws a code and runs perfect.

What I think happened was the pressure from the charge pipe cause the TB to go on a bit crooked and I did not notice. Hopefully this helps someone at some point.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Thanks for the comments guys. It turns out I’m an even bigger idiot then I previously thought…

If anyone stumbles on this do yourself a favor and just remove the intake and charge pipe. It gives you way more room and will prevent what I’m going to explain.

So as I said the car ran fine with the TB disconnected, which I was surprised by. Thinking about it last night I thought maybe I cracked the charge pipe by trying to flex it enough to get the TB and spacer installed. By doing that it made me get enough room to see that I did not get the captive pegs set correctly on the throttle body which meant a ton of air was leaking by. I removed everything and made sure it was all correctly seated.

I reflashed my tune in hopes that it would reset any stored values and the car no longer throws a code and runs perfect.

What I think happened was the pressure from the charge pipe cause the TB to go on a bit crooked and I did not notice. Hopefully this helps someone at some point.
This sounds exactly like what happened. I'm glad you figured it out. ;) You should be good to beat on it.

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
So as I said the car ran fine with the TB disconnected, which I was surprised by.
In case anyone shows up later and is curious, it can do this thanks to having both the VANOS and Valvetronic systems, although the Valvetronic is the only part that really matters. By having complete control over the valve lift the ECU/DME can use the opening, or not opening, of the valves to act as a throttle body normally would.

"With this system, a throttle valve is only used to stabilize the engine operation at critical operating points and to ensure a slight vacuum for the engine ventilation."

Is the quote from the engine product info.
Sponsored