Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
To the gear heads out there who know this motor, while installing a CAI , I noticed while removing the elbow that connects to the turbo,
Residual oil puddled in what looks like cast in holes in the elbow?
Can someone explain this?
PS I used a borescope to look deeper into the inlet to check turbo impeller, and it looked clean and free from oil.
Sponsored

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
To the gear heads out there who know this motor, while installing a CAI , I noticed while removing the elbow that connects to the turbo,
PS I used a borescope to look deeper into the inlet to check turbo impeller, and it looked clean and free from oil.
It's funny you mention this, as I noticed some there as well. I was going to install an intake last week, and saw this. Then as I unclamped the intake tube hose coupler it definitely smelled like oil as well. From what I have read, this is normal from a tuned B58. I read that it is possibly blow by from the pcv line. I read in the catch can thread, and also saw some pics posted there that looked like this, when searching for answers. I would like to know as well, since i am not a mechanic :(

Does it look like the pic in this thread?
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/crankcase-breather-hose-help-me-identify.3294/

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
pull your charge pipe for a real shocker.

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
It's funny you mention this, as I noticed some there as well. I was going to install an intake last week, and saw this. Then as I unclamped the intake tube hose coupler it definitely smelled like oil as well. From what I have read, this is normal from a tuned B58. I read that it is possibly blow by from the pcv line. I read in the catch can thread, and also saw some pics posted there that looked like this, when searching for answers. I would like to know as well, since i am not a mechanic :(

Does it look like the pic in this thread?
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/crankcase-breather-hose-help-me-identify.3294/

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
No, what Iā€™m referring to, is the elbow intake that attached to the turbo inlet, it looks like that air intake incorporates a form of a ā€œcatch canā€ inside of the elbow do the oil puddles and is stored in the elbow itself
On the stock air inlet elbow, it has two resovoirs,and on the inside, it has a series of holes for the oil to drain through,and is stored in these two ā€œcatch cansā€that are part of the air inlet elbow. Iā€™m assuming this is BMWā€™s form of a catch can?

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
No, what Iā€™m referring to, is the elbow intake that attached to the turbo inlet, it looks like that air intake incorporates a form of a ā€œcatch canā€ inside of the elbow do the oil puddles and is stored in the elbow itself
On the stock air inlet elbow, it has two resovoirs,and on the inside, it has a series of holes for the oil to drain through,and is stored in these two ā€œcatch cansā€that are part of the air inlet elbow. Iā€™m assuming this is BMWā€™s form of a catch can?
maybe but it has no drain ability so it is short lived.... also as walnut blasting is part of the maintenance schedule they anticipate that contaminated air getting to the valves and burning

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
maintenance schedule?,Walnut blasting???
Please elaborate.

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
So... from what Iā€™ve read about the B58 motor, is I t accumulates oil not only in the inlet pipe (air filter to turbo),but also oil accumulates In the outlet pipe (charge pipe) Too??!!!
And this is considered normal for this motor??!!

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
So... from what Iā€™ve read about the B58 motor, is I t accumulates oil not only in the inlet pipe (air filter to turbo),but also oil accumulates In the outlet pipe (charge pipe) Too??!!!
And this is considered normal for this motor??!!
Yes and yes, its the PCV and the CCV. I made a mistake, the walnut blast is a service BMW does, and one that many BMW owners get every 80K-100k miles? somewhere in there, however, it is not a standard procedure in the Toyota manual.

That accumulation will ultimately lead to carbon buildup on the valves

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Wow! Unbelievable! So is that what BMW
Considerā€™s valve lubrication!! I wonder if you canā€™t take CVV and PCV lines and just vent them to atmosphere??

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Wow! Unbelievable! So is that what BMW
Considerā€™s valve lubrication!! I wonder if you canā€™t take CVV and PCV lines and just vent them to atmosphere??
Is this your first turbocharged car? the questions from you seem like you really don't know much about cars in general.
Also any make that has direct injection would benefit from walnut blasting at high mileage marks like BMW, Audi, Subaru, Mercedez etc etc

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Iā€™ve had mechanically driven turbos and exhaust driven turbos in cars motorcycles and even jet skis! Itā€™s not my first turboā€™d
Vehicle! Iā€™ve modified many cars and motorcycles in my lifetime! In regards to
ā€œWalnut blastingā€, I know what that means!
I just canā€™t believe BMW does that as a maintenance procedure! I ask questions on this forum to gain knowledge on this particular vehicle, not to be belittled by people who donā€™t know me!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.