J29 2.0 -- my budget dream car & daily beater

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
I never made a build thread for my two previous vehicles, something I now regret. With the lack of B48-equipped J29 posts, I figured now would be a good time to start.

Goals:
⊛ achieve the daily beater I always wanted out of my previous car (2018 86 GT)
⊛ learn to drive a fast (to me) car as effectively as possible
⊛ autocross & possible track days

Current modifications:
⊛ Exterior
- TE37 Saga (discont'd non-S-plus) in Mag. blue [System Motorsports/Speedimage USA staggered spec.]
- Max Orido AKEA aero suite*
- Autotecknic canards
- Revel GT front vent block-offs
- Revel GT door handle covers
- Raceseng license plate mount kit
⊛ Interior
- Rexpeed steering wheel badge
⊛ Performance
- Armaspeed CAI (carbon fiber box option)
- aFe Takeda CBE (carbon fiber tips option)*
- H&R lowering springs (1.2" front, 1.0" rear for 2.0)

Most up to date picture:
457825A4-B374-4672-94B8-75E23C0AFA7E.jpeg

Update dates:
1. 3/20/2022 - initial post
2. 3/24/2022 - Armaspeed intake installed
3. 4/3/2022 - updated picture, added license plate mount manufacturer

*in process or incomplete
Sponsored

Last edited:

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Looking forward to watching your build and experience with the car progress. I came from an 86 before as well (supercharged, part of the time). I’d love to compare a Supra 2.0 with it at autocross.

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Looking forward to watching your build and experience with the car progress. I came from an 86 before as well (supercharged, part of the time). I’d love to compare a Supra 2.0 with it at autocross.
Greatly appreciated! It is interesting because I was pretty close to installing an Edelbrock, but decided against it due to daily driver constraints amongst other things.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Clean car, what are the actual specs on your rims? and tire size?

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Clean car, what are the actual specs on your rims? and tire size?
Fronts: 18x10 +25 5x112 (Face 4)
Rears: 18x11 +34 5x112 (Face 5)

Currently wrapped in Supra 2.0 OEM rubber… I will most likely bump up a centimeter wider on each corner on the next set.

burleezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Looking forward to see what you do to the car! I was wondering what your thoughts are on the H&R springs. How is the ride compared to stock? Do you scrape at all when it comes to daily driving? Do you wish you went lower? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can to help make my decision on springs.

Also if you can post any side profile photos of the wheel gap would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
I was wondering what your thoughts are on the H&R springs. How is the ride compared to stock? Do you scrape at all when it comes to daily driving? Do you wish you went lower?

Also if you can post any side profile photos of the wheel gap would be greatly appreciated!
They’re quite a bit stiffer than stock 2.0 springs & overall significantly more confidence-inspiring. Comfortable to me, but I’ve only owned “rough-riding” vehicles thus far.

Sometimes I scrape backing out of my steep driveway, but I have a lip.

Once the lowering springs eat up my OEM dampers, I will be moving to coilovers. I may go a tiny bit lower, but also planning on going a squared wheel setup (which is mostly incompatible with OEM front struts).

See screenshots for wheel gap reference:
24859759-1FD4-46E8-8B4C-3F5F3D870EA1.jpeg
805057A7-FCA3-4296-B65B-6B89C17938EB.jpeg
BAE3C909-0B55-4A02-BB4F-FF33992B3AF7.jpeg

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Armaspeed intake (woven carbon fiber option)

1. Initial impression
- fast shipping
- came with a couple goodies including a carabiner & vinyl decal
- packaging, something I'm a sucker for, was top notch!
tempImageS4sxq8.png

- quality of the carbon fiber appears to be very nice, with weaves being consistent & not wavy
- pictured is the intake box lid after Brillianize ---> Ceramic coat x2 ---> Hydrocharge ~24 hrs. later
tempImageRAXF94.png

tempImage7YMbVJ.png

- I was pleased to find that the carbon fiber intake tube did not have any fiber glass residue from the manufacturing process, something I've seen even in the higher-end 3.0 intakes...
tempImageCHDMA4.png

2. Concluding impression
- Sounds absolutely ridiculous!
-
this intake will let you hear every single turbo noise your heart can possibly desire
- relatively easy to control & pussy-foot when the boys in blue are lurking (Californian problems)
- butt-dyno was, unsurprisingly, unimpressive, though I feel the car carries slightly better during highway pulls
tempImagehES4mW.png

- best part is I got a frunk now! ?
tempImageIsBewk.png

3. Installation tips
- rather than unplugging the temp sensor probe & removing the housing, I removed the unit as a whole, then reinstalled to the Armaspeed intake tube
- 7mm nut driver is a must for the provided hose clamps
- to the three other people who own a 2022 GR Supra 2.0 & plan on modifying it ---> I used instructions from aFe's Takeda intake for the removal process (not explained in Armaspeed's instructions)
- I don't know if the 2022 2.0 model is different, but I ended up having to reuse the OEM intake tube (SEE BELOW)
IMG_6308.jpg

- in order to get to this point, you must first separate the intake tube (circled in red) from the intake resonator box/accordion; this requires breaking & removing the Oetiker clamp holding the two together -- MUST BE DONE WHILE ENTIRE STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM IS REMOVED FROM VEHICLE
- I reused the OEM C-clamp to fix the intake tube to the turbo inlet

If you have 2.0 and have any questions regarding the installation or anything at all, do not hesitate to direct message me on here :thumbsup:

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
I never made a build thread for my two previous vehicles, something I now regret. With the lack of B48-equipped J29 posts, I figured now would be a good time to start.

Goals:
⊛ achieve the daily beater I always wanted out of my previous car (2018 86 GT)
⊛ learn to drive a fast (to me) car as effectively as possible
⊛ autocross & possible track days

Current modifications:
⊛ Exterior
- TE37 Saga (discont'd non-S-plus) in Mag. blue [System Motorsports/Speedimage USA staggered spec.]
- Max Orido AKEA aero suite*
- Autotecknic canards
- Revel GT front vent block-offs
- Revel GT door handle covers
⊛ Interior
- Rexpeed steering wheel badge
⊛ Performance
- Armaspeed CAI (carbon fiber box option)
- aFe Takeda CBE (carbon fiber tips option)*
- H&R lowering springs (1.2" front, 1.0" rear for 2.0)

Most up to date picture:
View attachment 63000

Update dates:
1. 3/20/2022 - initial post
2. 3/24/2022 - Armaspeed intake installed

*in process or incomplete
Are you sure that total cost didn't exceed stock 3.0 yet? 86 was/is great cheap starting point for mods. 2.0 Supra - not so much. It makes much more sense to take 3.0 version and start from there (until you reach Corvette C8 or Cayman GTS price points).

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Hi Great looking car!! would like to see more pic of the Max Orido AKEA aero suite, thanks a lot!
I will post better pictures after I get and install the diffuser.

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Are you sure that total cost didn't exceed stock 3.0 yet? 86 was/is great cheap starting point for mods. 2.0 Supra - not so much. It makes much more sense to take 3.0 version and start from there (until you reach Corvette C8 or Cayman GTS price points).
Pretty standard question. Short answer— a base model 3.0 without mods would of costed almost the same. For me, $$$ was not the deciding factor, though it was important.

Long answer— after test driving them both, the 3.0 felt like a handful for a daily driver. Almost like a muscle car or something. The 2.0 feels like everything I ever wanted out of my 86 without losing too much of that go-kart like handling. I’m also one of the rare few that appreciates the J29 for all its features, not just the power numbers.

If it was a weekend/fun car and I had more driving experience, it would of been the more bang-for-buck choice I’m sure.

Once I’m out of my 20’s and have more experience, I may look at getting something a bit faster. A proper Porsche honestly seems to be the move, though a face lifted Supra will be on the radar.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Once I’m out of my 20’s and have more experience, I may look at getting something a bit faster. A proper Porsche honestly seems to be the move, though a face lifted Supra will be on the radar.
Lol i'm in my 20's.. late 20's though lol. I got my Supra when i was 24. What part of SoCal are you in?

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Lol i'm in my 20's.. late 20's though lol. I got my Supra when i was 24. What part of SoCal are you in?
You’re killing it bro! We’re probably the same age.

San Diego (north county?)