JB4 versus JB+

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
So, I've been seeing a lot of threads/comments stating JB4 map 3 (+6psi) is destroying engines. The recommendation is to stick with map 2 (+4PSI) unless getting the logs tweaked or "tuned" I guess you would call it by @DaBears. This makes me wonder; is the additional 2 psi really that bad and if map 3 really does push the limits that much what benefit is there to a JB4 over a JB+. Both are additive maps rather than absolute targets and JB+ adds 4.5psi at max while JB4 adds 4psi on map 2.

I guess what I'm getting at here is for a guy like me who doesn't intend to do a bunch of mods or fool with E blends and the like, would there be any benefit to a JB4 over the JB+?
Sponsored

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wow that's nuts, where are you hearing map 3 is destroying engines? That is what I run on my VW GTI without any issues for years.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So, I've been seeing a lot of threads/comments stating JB4 map 3 (+6psi) is destroying engines. The recommendation is to stick with map 2 (+4PSI) unless getting the logs tweaked or "tuned" I guess you would call it by @DaBears. This makes me wonder; is the additional 2 psi really that bad and if map 3 really does push the limits that much what benefit is there to a JB4 over a JB+. Both are additive maps rather than absolute targets and JB+ adds 4.5psi at max while JB4 adds 4psi on map 2.

I guess what I'm getting at here is for a guy like me who doesn't intend to do a bunch of mods or fool with E blends and the like, would there be any benefit to a JB4 over the JB+?
based on what you said, go jb+. They’ll take it back for a year and apply your purchase price to a JB4 if you decide you need more.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've been running the JB+ for a while now on the highest setting. Great little device, easy to install, could feel the difference right out of the gate. I'm using it for the same reasons you're considering: Wanted something I didn't have to mess with while using a limited number of bolt-on mods. It does this perfectly and I'm not planning on moving to the JB4 on my un-tunable '21... just going to wait until the ECU is able to be unlocked and get a proper tune. I'd say go for it! It's nice not having to worry about tune programming, blowing your turbo/motor, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Thanks for the replies! Confirmed my thinking.

Reactions: zrk

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
I've been running the JB+ for a while now on the highest setting. Great little device, easy to install, could feel the difference right out of the gate. I'm using it for the same reasons you're considering: Wanted something I didn't have to mess with while using a limited number of bolt-on mods. It does this perfectly and I'm not planning on moving to the JB4 on my un-tunable '21... just going to wait until the ECU is able to be unlocked and get a proper tune. I'd say go for it! It's nice not having to worry about tune programming, blowing your turbo/motor, etc.
If just the JB+ is installed on a bone stock car, does the car then require more frequent maintenance (e.g., oil changes, spark plugs, coolant, etc).

Also, would the car require adding any special parts to improve cooling or anything else? Questions from a noob here! Thanks!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
If just the JB+ is installed on a bone stock car, does the car then require more frequent maintenance (e.g., oil changes, spark plugs, coolant, etc).

Also, would the car require adding any special parts to improve cooling or anything else? Questions from a noob here! Thanks!
Nope! You're good. Just increasing boost a small amount isn't going to require you do anything different from a maintenance perspective. Same for cooling or other special parts. Just plug it in and have fun!

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Nope! You're good. Just increasing boost a small amount isn't going to require you do anything different from a maintenance perspective. Same for cooling or other special parts. Just plug it in and have fun!

Agree picked one up for 100 bux not long ago. Fits the itch for now while I do other mods waiting for the illusive unlock lol

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I’m perfectly happy with the JB+ on my ‘21 3.0… anything more than that and traction loss city til 40 mph out of the hole.

The JB+ provides enhanced boost with useable to the ground horsepower imo.

eqi

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Egis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
Quick copy paste from other thread.

So today was a better day, dry streets. Installed jb+. Took about 10 mins as connector didnt want to unplug. A little bit of swear words and threats to send it back to bmw jb+ was in :D
After picking up my car in august, butt dyno said that turbo lacking of the boost, with jb+ feels that it adds some boost and i like it. Car feels more alive, butt dyno says that there is some more ponies. All in all i like this addition. Waiting for spring to catch any dynoday to measure stock vs jb+.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
After reading all this. Is there really a reason to get a jb4 instead of a JB +? Other than a a map 6?

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Also running JB+ On my 2021 locked ecu. Just FYI, I ran 12.2 @117 bone, bone stock. After JB+ install ran 12.00 @ 121. Same track conditions, with dial at stock position. I have it cranked now at 4.5 so waiting for car season to start. :D

It's worth it 100%. This season i'm adding a CAI and catted DP and then hodl until some sort of North American ecu unlocking option. If nothing by 1 or 2 years i'll grab a c6 z06 :D

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Sorry for reviving old thread. What are the stock psi levels for a 2020 car?

I'm looking at getting something I think is similar to the jb+ looking at the hks power editor but HKS won't give me any answers because they've only tested it on cars in japan and don't want to make assumptions for North American cars. Most likely liability reasons.
Sponsored