June Joust - JUNE 25-26, 2022 @ SUMMIT POINT

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
I'm going to be there on the 25th (Saturday) utilizing the free HPDE event through the Toyota GR program. Anyone else headed out there that weekend? It's going to be, surprisingly, my first track event ever after years of sports car and motorcycle ownership and been a long race fan. Really looking forward to the experience.

https://nasaracing.net/june-25-26-2022-summit-point/
Sponsored

Last edited:

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I'm going to Summit in Mid July for the SCCA event. Have fun, it's a great car for track days!

OP
OP
deadinside

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
I'm going to Summit in Mid July for the SCCA event. Have fun, it's a great car for track days!
Can't wait!

Will be at Dominion for a SCCA time trial that weekend

have fun. Pm if any questions Assume it is on Main track
Yeah, I wanted to specifically run Main as my first event, IMSA history and all.

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Can't wait!

Yeah, I wanted to specifically run Main as my first event, IMSA history and all.
I will be there next weekend with you. Should be a good olā€™ time. Have run Summit Main a few times in my Miata, did Shenandoah a bunch in both the Miata and my old Genesis Coupe. Would have preferred Shenandoah but main should be good for the stretching the legs in the first outing of the Supra.

I think they put me in hpde1 so we might be in the same run group to start off.
Were you doing just one day?

OP
OP
deadinside

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
I will be there next weekend with you. Should be a good olā€™ time. Have run Summit Main a few times in my Miata, did Shenandoah a bunch in both the Miata and my old Genesis Coupe. Would have preferred Shenandoah but main should be good for the stretching the legs in the first outing of the Supra.

I think they put me in hpde1 so we might be in the same run group to start off.
Were you doing just one day?
Yeah, the free offering was only for one day out of the weekend, so the 25th it is. And if it wasn't obvious I'll also be in HPDE1, but I would be surprised if they didn't bump you to group 2 based on your resume. Either way I'll see you there!

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
WDCR SCCA Time Trial Tuner 2 4/30 (Andrew) - YouTube

My last Main, last month. James in a Supra is in first, friend in a 1LE is the camera car, i move up to second (another black Zupra) around 2:33 mark.

But you can watch the lines and braking points if it helps you all prep. PM with any questions

Have fun!

OP
OP
deadinside

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
WDCR SCCA Time Trial Tuner 2 4/30 (Andrew) - YouTube

My last Main, last month. James in a Supra is in first, friend in a 1LE is the camera car, i move up to second (another black Zupra) around 2:33 mark.

But you can watch the lines and braking points if it helps you all prep. PM with any questions

Have fun!
Perfect! I actually watched a few of your videos, to include this one, to get a feel. The Supra in front was moving!

My initial thought was to bring everything in the kitchen sink as if I was going to reconstruct the car in between one of my FOUR sessions. Once I got under control I'm basically bringing a breaker bar, torque wrench, a tire inflator, a chair and an eagerness to get on track and learn (along with driving gear, ofc).

My main concern with setup is tire pressure as I'm still on OE rubber and I'm sure it will be warm and greasy out there.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
You donā€™t need to bring the kitchen sink.

your first tracks days will be very moderate
Chair, cooler, stuff like that is good

you donā€™t need all your tool boxes

extra quart of oil is nice

zip ties, glass cleaner helps with things you donā€™t think of

tire pressure gauge, air pump, lug wrench for wheels is a must.
Make sure all lugs are at spec before going on track.
Just last week a newbie had a wheel come off a mini. Had a brake job and he didnā€™t check behind shop

start your air pressure around 29cold. Check air after sessions and try to stay 32-34

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, the free offering was only for one day out of the weekend, so the 25th it is. And if it wasn't obvious I'll also be in HPDE1, but I would be surprised if they didn't bump you to group 2 based on your resume. Either way I'll see you there!
Ah gotcha, I reached out to NASA and paid them to extend it to both days.
Never had something with this level of torque and power so I might sandbag it a bit and take it easy while I feel out the limits.
As far as stuff to bring, donā€™t forget your tech sheet, did that one once before lol, make sure you wear pants, jeans preferably.
I bring a basic kit of sockets, wrenchā€™s, pliers, tire pressure gauge, beaker bar, and torque wrench. Oil and zip ties are a good idea. Donā€™t forget something to put numbers on your car. I like blue painter tape.
Someone will probably have a jack if you need to borrow it. Donā€™t forget a chair and if you have one a pop up tent can be a godsend for getting out of the sun.
Bring a lot of water, and then probably double it because you will need it. And some good snacks along with a lunch if you donā€™t plan to eat at the on site cafeteria.
I havenā€™t run with NASA before but in previous events it was a good idea to see if you can get your instructors name and talk to them a bit before all the fun starts. Since they will sometimes be running their own sessions along with one or more students.

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks like drivers lists and schedules are out. about 21 drivers for HPDE1 and GR experience on Saturday, and 20 on Sunday.
Interesting that one person opted to bring their Polestar 2 to the GE event. But I guess they didn't actually specify you had to bring your Toyota.

OP
OP
deadinside

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
Looks like drivers lists and schedules are out. about 21 drivers for HPDE1 and GR experience on Saturday, and 20 on Sunday.
Interesting that one person opted to bring their Polestar 2 to the GE event. But I guess they didn't actually specify you had to bring your Toyota.
I saw that, hope there's enough room out there for all 21 of us.

And I also noticed the Polestar, wasn't sure if it was a typo or...? I've only seen a handful in person, and none on track so I'd like to see it do some laps.

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I saw that, hope there's enough room out there for all 21 of us.

And I also noticed the Polestar, wasn't sure if it was a typo or...? I've only seen a handful in person, and none on track so I'd like to see it do some laps.
Summit main isn't the biggest course but 21 should be able to spread out pretty well on the 2 miles if people are good about giving point bys. If not, you can always pit in for a minute and let get away from the group.

If I recall correctly I don't think there was a restriction on how you used the free track day, so I guess if someone wanted to take their other car out or had sold their Supra shortly after getting it but still wanted to get in the track day I could see it. But I suppose we can just ask them when we get there. It should stand out.

Still flip flopping over whether it's worth changing the brake fluid or not, since I don't really plan to keep bringing the Supra out after this.

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So Iā€™ll have further updates and pictures from the weekend to follow. But to answer the burning question on everyoneā€™s mind. The guy who brought the Polestar 2 to the Toyota GR Experience said he sold his Supra after four months because it didnā€™t make a great commuter and gas prices were going up. Didnā€™t want to pass up the free track day however.
Sponsored