Launching Techniques

Supra_Cop

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Sorry if this is a repost, I searched and couldn’t really find anything, or at least anything current in regards to what I’m looking for.

So, looking to gather techniques on launching the car and guidance from the track day gurus. I’ve got a downpipe, ecutek flex tune running E40, meth/water injection, and running 285/35/19 Nitto NT555RII tires on the rear. From what I’ve read the launch control is kinda garbage after mods, so can someone way in on techniques for a proper launch?
Sponsored

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
It is garbage haha don’t bother with it.
@zrk care to chime in lol

Emmanuel23191

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
I’ve heard of people launching in 2nd gear I don’t know if it works I yet have to try it myself

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Yeah I've been launching with TC fully on, just stop brakes, bring RPM up to about 1500-1700 and then lean into throttle after you let go of brakes. I usually upshift as quickly as possible into third

Probably not the fastest launch, but does get me going quick without spinning too much. Sure wish ECUTEK or someone would adjust the factory launch control programming to make it better!

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
On my factory tires it was a good warm up in the box and then traction off but not fully disengaged and stood on the brakes and revved till about 1500 rpm and dropped it from there when the 3rd yellow goes. I just put welds and mt on though and I haven’t been able to test these yet.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah I've been launching with TC fully on, just stop brakes, bring RPM up to about 1500-1700 and then lean into throttle after you let go of brakes. I usually upshift as quickly as possible into third

Probably not the fastest launch, but does get me going quick without spinning too much. Sure wish ECUTEK or someone would adjust the factory launch control programming to make it better!
I'm no launch expert, but even the manual says you're supposed to turn TC completely off ?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
0. Sport Mode
1. Tap Traction Control - (turn off traction)
2. Hold Traction Control - (turn off VSC)
3. Switch to manual mode
4. Burnout in First gear in the water box
5. Approach staging lights
6. Shift to 2nd
7. Attempt to push the brake pedal through the floor with your LEFT foot
7a. Pump Brake Pedal HARD
8. While holding the brake pedal down, bring RPMs up to ~2k RPMs quickly (you'll feel the car "squat"), this is the torque converter loading. Boost will climb.
9. On Green - Mash gas & release brake
10. Shift when you see the indicator reach 55-5600 RPMs (stock turbo)
10a. Don't shift out of 5th, ride it through.

Pushing much harder than 2200 RPMs loading up the converter is a sure-fire way to snap an axle after a couple of passes, and it's 3-4 months for a DSS axle. Careful.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
NT05R 2nd gear launch, I don’t remember the rpm, and a street that “is in Mexico” so in the past had prep put down I did a 1.73 60ft. Pretty much straight what @zrk has posted. None of the dragy tests are verified (too much of a slope) but it’s a place where I can test all day long, car will hook and no one there to bother you

OP
OP
Supra_Cop

Supra_Cop

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Thanks for all the responses guys, especially @zrk. We have a local event coming up and being a police officer has kept me from any shenanigans on the road so I haven’t had an opportunity up to this point to launch.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Thanks for all the responses guys, especially @zrk. We have a local event coming up and being a police officer has kept me from any shenanigans on the road so I haven’t had an opportunity up to this point to launch.
e1374b42-cd65-42a9-918f-b8a5855d25aa_text.gif

Haha just kidding, couldn't resist :)

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
I'm no launch expert, but even the manual says you're supposed to turn TC completely off ?
You had me doubting myself, so I went back to the manual.

For launch control the manual has you enter TRACTION MODE, which is one press of the VSC button (page 131). The VSC OFF light will be on, but there will be a TRACTION notation on the instrument cluster.

"Traction mode is a version of the VSC Vehicle Stability Control System where forward momentum is optimized." - Toyota Supra Owners Manual, page 197

VSC OFF mode, where as the name implies VSC is all the way off, is one step beyond TRACTION MODE and is engaged by holding down the VSC button until the VSC OFF light is on and there is no TRACTION notation (page 198).

There is also a mention under "System Limits" on page 131 that "An experienced driver may be able to achieve better acceleration values in VSC OFF mode." Which I take as Toyota admitting that Launch Control is itself a compromise and not meant to be perfection.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
You had me doubting myself, so I went back to the manual.

For launch control the manual has you enter TRACTION MODE, which is one press of the VSC button (page 131). The VSC OFF light will be on, but there will be a TRACTION notation on the instrument cluster.

"Traction mode is a version of the VSC Vehicle Stability Control System where forward momentum is optimized." - Toyota Supra Owners Manual, page 197

VSC OFF mode, where as the name implies VSC is all the way off, is one step beyond TRACTION MODE and is engaged by holding down the VSC button until the VSC OFF light is on and there is no TRACTION notation (page 198).

There is also a mention under "System Limits" on page 131 that "An experienced driver may be able to achieve better acceleration values in VSC OFF mode." Which I take as Toyota admitting that Launch Control is itself a compromise and not meant to be perfection.
It’s literally just ridiculous wheel spin especially on the stock shit tires

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
1.9 60’ and 11.90
catless downpipe and JB4
1643491580354.jpeg

1. Press sport
2. Press and hold DSC
3. Warm up tires with a small burnout, watch the tire status screen and try to burn out to around 90+ degrees — usually 2-3 seconds
4. Press DSC once to engage some of the TC again
5. Switch back into automatic mode
6. Press and hold the brake, climb to 1,600 rpms as close to the staging lights as possible
7. Let go of the brake, full throttle
Auto mode is going to kill you on the stock turbo.
Sponsored