Lets talk about a side air vent/scoop/intake

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by 2JZ-No-Sh*t, Jul 12, 2017.

?

Which look do you like better?

1. Without air vents

22 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. With air vents

70 vote(s)
    76.1%
  1. mas921

mas921 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BK38!! Z33 and a CZ4A
    Liked:
    Programmer
    QFT
    This guys glass is half full.

johnny_10196, Bryster and ichitaka05 like this.
  2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:

mas921 and DesmoSD like this.
  3. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
  4. AsupramkvC

AsupramkvC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Too many fake vents

supraboi likes this.
  5. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    The vents just need the plastic piece removed and a piece to direct the air and they'll be fully functional.

6. Daigor

Daigor Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    98 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    Regarding the Vents. I have said this before, it is NOT as easy as removing the plastic piece to make them functional. In a couple location of the Vents you will need to Cut into the Body of the MKV in order to make them functional. Ex. the Hood and the Side Door Panel. I think Tada-San may have missed that crucial detail when he made that statement that they are easy to modify to make them functional. Here is an in depth look at the Vents.

7. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    Hadn't seen this vid before. Thank you.

8. Therealist

Therealist Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1996 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    Exactly this. Saying these are easy to make functional is misleading at the very least

9. DesmoSD

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Have you removed the fake vent on the fender on your FRS? I've seen threads where owners DIY'd their own vent so unless GRMN plans to offer proper ducting, it's going to remain a fake vent.

Yup, a manual would help but even with a 6 speed, it still won't win the hearts of car enthusiasts like the MKIV has.

10. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Well, the worst thing about the fake vents is they're fake because they offer no benefit to not being fake where they are. They're there because the pie in the sky no limits FT1 had them so the designers felt obligated to keep those little details, but their engineers tested or ruled that there was no benefit to opening them up. So just because you go and open them up and run ducts to them at home, isn't going to solve the problem. What's worse, fake blocked vents or open vents that at best do nothing or at worst hurt performance? Both are rice in my book.

I once went to great lengths to have a scooped CF hood made for the mk2, because I wanted ram air and I'd seen it done once before and it looked great. After much pain and time I finally got my scooped hood, but I found a better, cleaner way to get ram air by that point. The scoop just dumped massive amounts of air into my engine bay, made the hood bulge at speed and created drag, so I ended up blocking it off. Now it's a fake vent.

Daigor and DesmoSD like this.
  11. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, Mk7 Golf, AZW Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I don't know, might as well wait to see. This car should be given a chance before being bashed.

DesmoSD likes this.
  12. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    If I actually were to get a mk5, I'd rather do some custom bodywork and eliminate the vents on the hood and doors. Smooth them over and get rid of that horrible bolt on piece on the door. Maybe get a CF door that is the same shape as the stock door with the bolt on piece attache, but is just one piece total.

As good as the FT1 looks, I kinda hate it because they went all scoop and vent crazy without any consideration for the mechanical layout of the car or any serious collaboration with aerodynamics engineers. And now we've inherited those oversights because everyone liked the concept so much.

13. DesmoSD

Car(s):
    Liked:
    It's all about first impressions. It's going to be a tough sell when the shock factor is not there. This is why Kevin Hunter made the FT-1 to exotic dimensions, to capture that immediate excitement.

Personally, I still want to drive it but buying... 1st year production... no thank you. I'm ok with waiting.

Another example is the hood scoop for the Tacoma. Completely cosmetic with 0 functionality. Same thing with the new Camry rear bumper vents. Fake vents are the current trend in the automotive industry, just like phablets on the dashboard and simulated engine sounds through the speakers. All of that shit needs to go away.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/anyone-open-up-their-trd-hood-scoop.165221/

14. TheFalls

TheFalls Active Member

Car(s):
    Toyota
    Liked:
    I remember reading somewhere on this forum, they mentioned that the vents can be made functional if needed. But for the average street driven car it won't be necessary to 'open' them.

Question is, How many of us are going to push the car to the very limits on the streets? Probably none of us, if we value our driving licence.

On track its a different story, some of us here will/may do that. Then it will be a matter of ducting to extract that surplus cooling or gaining some more aero effect in serious competitive racing.

I know i won't be tracking the car if i ultimately buy it, hence I'm not fussed about the fake vents.

15. Supra21

Supra21 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 Mercedes Benz C250
    Liked:
    So now we know that the side vent serves a purpose! It's an anchor for an aero fitment on the TRD model! She's coming together...and just in advance, if anyone complains about it looking off due to it being a random carbon piece...just paint it!

IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8515.JPG

Redphaser and Jabba like this.