Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
Alright so I get a lot of questions regarding ECU tuning so Id like to open this up to everyone so information can be shared.

What are your questions? What topics do you want to talk about?

Well first thing to mention is YES ALL ECU GO TO Femto (Russia) to be unlocked.

Lets start with what options are available as of today.

ECU/Cloning and imaging - Your OEM ecu information is transferred to a tunable ecu. You can then tune with whatever flashing service you want.

ECU Tuning - Tuning directly to the factory ECU via femtox software. There's some misconception about this being only OTS tunes and you have to mail your ecu out every time you need a revision. That is not the case. ECU will need to be sent out for unlocking but once you get it back you will flash your tunes via obd just like with ecutek/mhd/bm3.

JB4 - This is a piggyback tuner. It intercepts signals from sensors on the car and tells it something different. This is not just a glorified boost controller as some tuners want to make it look as. I have plenty of videos of jb4 cars on the same fuel/mods smoking ecutek tuned cars. The jb4 offers custom mapings where you can adjust boost, duty cyle, pedal feel, IATs, Boost on shifts, boost by gear, wastegate positioning, and much more. I

There is no one best option as everyones needs / budget are different.

Questions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
JB4 has been good to me but I would much prefer an "actual" tune

Confused about why the Russia thing is the only way to unlock or clone an ECU.. I'm in Austin TX and have talked to a couple of people at a local tuning shop who have confirmed that's the only way to go although the price may be negotiable?

Man it's just a graphing calculator let's go already

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Confused about why the Russia thing is the only way to unlock or clone an ECU..
Jesse, I can delete this if you want the answer.

I've talked to the Femto guys a lot. In short, they figured out how to do it, no one else has, and they're holding it really close to their vests.

OP
OP
Jesse DaBears

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JB4 has been good to me but I would much prefer an "actual" tune

Confused about why the Russia thing is the only way to unlock or clone an ECU.. I'm in Austin TX and have talked to a couple of people at a local tuning shop who have confirmed that's the only way to go although the price may be negotiable?

Man it's just a graphing calculator let's go already
Well Femto is the only one with the capabilities to Unlock them. I have talked them quite a bit now. I will say they are very trust worthy and responsive. Id look at it as shipping from Washington to Florida lol. Just follow the instructions and you wont have any issues. Let me know if I can help.

OP
OP
Jesse DaBears

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I've talked to the Femto guys a lot. In short, they figured out how to do it, no one else has, and they're holding it really close to their vests.
Nope your answer is correct. Feel free to share how your experience was. I think it can be beneficial to the community :)

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
They've the know-how, they've got the powa and controlling the narrative.. Simple as that... It's not like a full fledged corp. with tens of people working on this in US or anywhere else. Few, or maybe even just one knowledgeable car enthusiast in Russia working on this..
There are bunch of forums with "free" ISTA's, etc. and for various software/apps afaik with many Russian influence...
It may also be a good thing to have 1 source for obvious reasons, but if that source disappears then industry is shit outta luck..

OP
OP
Jesse DaBears

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They've the know-how, they've got the powa and controlling the narrative.. Simple as that... It's not like a full fledged corp. with tens of people working on this in US or anywhere else. Few, or maybe even just one knowledgeable car enthusiast in Russia working on this..
There are bunch of forums with "free" ISTA's, etc. and for various software/apps afaik with many Russian influence...
It may also be a good thing to have 1 source for obvious reasons, but if that source disappears then industry is shit outta luck..
I dont think they are going anywhere. They seem committed to helping grow the platform on their end and as a community stand point. You should see some of the G8X stuff they have been doing. Crazy. Like 800hp on a Mustang Dyno with some pure turbos lol.

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

uhhhh ok lol

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For the good of the community would you mind linking the forums you're talking about? Thanks in advance!

StupendousA90

First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MK5 Supra
Ok I’m normally pretty good at keeping up with this so forgive me…but is the unlocking via femtox new? I remember when the cloning was announced recently but I would think the direct unlocking is the better option, because I’d still be able to repeatedly flash with BM3, MHD, etc. without having to constantly send the Ecu back correct?

OP
OP
Jesse DaBears

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok I’m normally pretty good at keeping up with this so forgive me…but is the unlocking via femtox new? I remember when the cloning was announced recently but I would think the direct unlocking is the better option, because I’d still be able to repeatedly flash with BM3, MHD, etc. without having to constantly send the Ecu back correct?
No the unlocking has been available through femto for quite some time now.

The direct unlocking would not be able to run ecutek,bm3 ,mhd etc. You would be able to use the femtox software for tuning and that is the option I started offering. Imo is a great way to save some coin and get to work with a great tuner in Marin Nelson.

The only way to use ecutek is through the cloning option.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I dont think they are going anywhere. They seem committed to helping grow the platform on their end and as a community stand point.
Didn't mean willingly going away. If they operated in US or Germany chances are they could be shutdown in 2 seconds... That's what I was eluding to as operating in RU being a good thing...

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I've seen talk about swapping cloned ECUs and mileage issues. Can anyone offer more information about this?
According to Femto, milage is not a problem, neighter is engine hours, but engine hours will not sync. As soon as you start the engine with the new ECU, the old ECU will no longer accurately report running hours, and shouldn't be used - especially for warrnaty work.
Sponsored