Let's talk about wheels

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Hello!

If this car comes thru with specs I like and a reasonable price I will be ordering one and the first aftermarket parts I will be getting is a set of adjustable lowering springs/coilovers and a set of aftermarket HRE wheels.

I understand the car is not out yet, and wheel wells haven't been measured but the way it is looking (the rear especially) is we may have some solid room to fit some wider tires for a larger contact patch

I guess this question doesn't necessarily need to pertain to the MK5 but rather all sports cars.

When increasing wheel width what is a general good rule of thumb for not disrupting or ruining the handling dynamics of the car?

However much I can increase the fronts (I am assuming the fronts will be the limiting factor) I increase the rears the same amount to keep the same ratio as the from factory setup? or do you just go as wide as you can front and back?

Thx
CE_S
Sponsored

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Many factors to consider, specially in a car which is not yet available.
If you keep the OEM ratio, it will probably maintain the OEM balance (which is usually understeer at the limit).

If you go to a square setup (285 in all 4 corners for instance) it will tend towards a more aggresive, oversteering setup. Many S2000 owners that track their cars use this kind of tire setup +/- bigger front sway bar +/- rear wing. It works. But this is a very different platform: more power, torque vectoring LSD, it will probably take a while to figure the optimal track setup. And it will not be the same for autocross versus a large track. Driver preference is also relevant. So no clear cut answers... you´ll have to try it out and tell us :)

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, as @Nurburgring said, its tough to say right now. Tada-San has said in interviews that the car will have fully neutral chassis characteristics, in turn-in, mid-corner, and corner exit. Now considering the tire setup is already staggered, this very well could mean that an increase in front grip, while likely improving turn in, could lean to oversteer at the limit. That being said, the mechanical grip of this car is obviously high, with sticky 255/275 rubber, and as such the vast majority of driving will not actually see too much of a difference from +/-10-20mm tire width on either axle.

And while the rears certainly do look like there is a lot of space to add tire, there may be an issue in the fronts with the factory strut/spring perch clearance. Again, we'll have to see once we can get our hands on the car!

OP
OP

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Thank you for the replies so far

Guff; for sure the limiting factor will be the front tires (like most cars) with caution being the inner part of the tire / wheel hitting suspension setups.

If I were to increase the front width the rear would definitely be increased to try and correct any change in handling. Just a thought I had to feed answers to before my mind exploded

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
If you don't like the dual tone rims on the MKV, what rims would take it's place?

I already have something in mind
20180511_142702.jpg

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
My top picks at the moment are bbs lm, work Meister l1 3p, te37sl but it all depends on if any of those actually come in a good spec for the new supra

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
RPF1 would look good on anything but I already have those on my 86 so maybe something else this time.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
I like the BBS RE-V.

Hard to find in 5x114.3 outside of Japan, but they're easier to find in BMW bolt patterns....

Jeff

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Advan GT Premium, if I'm not mistaken they have a 5x120, for the M3/M4, if the Supra runs that pattern.