Let's talk un-sprung weight...

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
My time on the track has taught me that one of the most effective ways to make your car "faster" is to become a better driver. BUT, un-sprung weight also plays an enormous role that I feel a lot of folks bolting parts onto a car don't take into consideration. Likely because, beyond wheels and tires, it's not often something people "see." Is anyone aware of anything on the market that would have a large impact on these cars in this manner? Lighter brake kits, suspension components, etc.? I'm searching and honestly I'm not coming up with much.
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Start gutting your interior. Take out the front passenger seat. Start from trunk stuff and go up front. Just donā€™t turn it into a rice rocket like a civic. Lighter titanium exhaust will help too.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Start gutting your interior. Take out the front passenger seat. Start from trunk stuff and go up front. Just donā€™t turn it into a rice rocket like a civic. Lighter titanium exhaust will help too.
Oh yeah, that's definitely the plan! ? But in this case, I'm talking about un-sprung weight, which would be anything not being supported by the weight of the suspension. Things like wheels, tires, brakes, suspension components, and most things connected to them. I've found it very true that removing 1 pound of un-sprung weight is like removing 10 pounds of sprung weight. It's why high-end cars have the lightest possible wheels (like the carbon fiber wheels of the Ford GT and other hypercars), brake components, suspension components, etc.

EDIT: I am wrong on this definition - was thinking of rotational mass, as PaulFRDE notes below!

Last edited:

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I was going to mention an antigravity battery, bucket seats, and carbon hood to get rid of almost 100lbs of weight until I noticed you said unsprung.

Advan a052's with 18" Titan T-S5 wheels is a light combo for losing some weight.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
AP Racing kit saves 23lbs up front and 22lbs in the rear over the OEM brakes according to Essex. I'm anxiously awaiting this as we speak!
I just want to make sure I'm seeing this correctly... buying both kits cost a total of $10k?

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
Swap down to 18's is probably the best bang for buck.

Linney Motorsports makes a carbon driveshaft that drop 7lbs.

Wilwood also has a lightweight drilled front brake kit released but' I don't know if it is any lighter.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Swap down to 18's is probably the best bang for buck.
Agreed from a pure weight perspective.

From a cost perspective (from a bone stock car obviously), 19" might make more sense since you don't need new tires as well. If you want to stay forged, TS-5s seem to be the best priced.

I'd be curious to see if someone's gone for carbon fiber or magnesium wheels yet.

PaulFRDE

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red Supra 3.0 2022, Black BMW 116i 2022
I've found it very true that removing 1 pound of un-sprung weight is like removing 10 pounds of sprung weight.
As proud owner of a not very torquey engine, I believe the 1 pound equals 10 pounds only work for rotating masses (tire, wheel, brake disc) and the more the weight is eccentric the biggest the effect. A lighter brake caliper will still helps your suspension to contact the ground though.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Agreed from a pure weight perspective.

From a cost perspective (from a bone stock car obviously), 19" might make more sense since you don't need new tires as well. If you want to stay forged, TS-5s seem to be the best priced.

I'd be curious to see if someone's gone for carbon fiber or magnesium wheels yet.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze unless you are professionally competing. Most can drop a whole lot more time just by getting instruction and or becoming better drivers

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Juice isn't worth the squeeze unless you are professionally competing. Most can drop a whole lot more time just by getting instruction and or becoming better drivers
I know that good technique makes much more difference. I'm just curious if anyone has; I'd love to see pictures.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I know that good technique makes much more difference. I'm just curious if anyone has; I'd love to see pictures.

Magnesium wheels?? no idea Just know i am sure its out of my budget.

You do know that's like 20k per set? i would think if you could buy 20k in wheels you would be in a higher sports car instead of a run of the mill 50k platform.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)