Likelyhood of a Production Targa/Sport Top?

StevenL7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Kia Stinger GT, 1976 Corvette
Hi all, first time poster, been interested in picking up a Supra but there is one major thing holding me back. I know Toyota said they would be doing updates throughout the car's production run (rumored manual, etc.), is there any likelihood or indications they will put a car like the sport top concept from SEMA into actual production? The biggest issue I have with the car is how cramped and dark the interior feels to me, especially in regard to head room (I'm 6'2), but a targa model would solve those issues for me, and the last thing I want to do is settle for a 2022 coupe only for Toyota to release a targa for 2023.

Additionally, has anyone tried doing a targa conversion outside of Toyota themselves? I'd be curious to see how much that would cost to do, probably a ton but oh well. Cheers!

supra targa.jpg
Sponsored

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
A panoramic roof option would be cool.

I would be wary of aftermarket targa conversions - I’ve seen shit installs on small sunroofs so I can’t imaging the pain that would come with an aftermarket targa.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I would be happy with just a moon roof. A targa or t-tops would be icing on the cake.

They will probably release a manual before they do a sport roof. We can always dream though.

I’ve noticed that removing the rear trunk cover lets in a decent amount of sun light. This helps it feel less claustrophobic.

-RJM

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
It's tough to speculate just how likely a targa-top option is for production at this time. Tada has stated that as much as he'd like to build it, most customers become frustrated by how hard it is to store, and end up never taking it off more than a couple times at the beginning (like 95% of hardtop Wrangler owners these days).

That being said, the TMMNA engineering team was pleasantly surprised how smoothly the targa conversion went for the SEMA vehicle, and just how rigid the platform remained without the roof panel in place. The public reaction to the targa example was also extremely positive.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
The biggest issue I have with the car is how cramped and dark the interior feels to me, especially in regard to head room (I'm 6'2)
It does? Dark I definitely get, but I don't find the Supra interior cramped at all, and I'm 6'1" 270 lbs. It does take some seat adjustment to get things set right, but I have plenty of head, shoulder, arm, hip, and leg room to work with. Unless that extra inch you have on me is all in the neck, I'm surprised you had issues. Did you spend some time adjusting the seat (height, position, and recline) when you tested it?

OP
OP

StevenL7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Kia Stinger GT, 1976 Corvette
It does? Dark I definitely get, but I don't find the Supra interior cramped at all, and I'm 6'1" 270 lbs. It does take some seat adjustment to get things set right, but I have plenty of head, shoulder, arm, hip, and leg room to work with. Unless that extra inch you have on me is all in the neck, I'm surprised you had issues. Did you spend some time adjusting the seat (height, position, and recline) when you tested it?
Haven't had the chance to sit in one for more than a few minutes at a time sadly, got a 2020 rented through Turo for this weekend to give it an extended test drive though so I'll have plenty of time to figure it out. ?
Sponsored