Maintaining Ride Quality with Aftermarket Tire and Wheel Options

One_Supra_1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hello everyone!

I have just purchased a 2021 Supra 3.0 and it has been an absolutely amazing car in every aspect that I could imagine. I have owned a few other sports cars in the recent past and have obviously done some aftermarket work to most of them, but the one thing that always suffered was the ride quality when it came to new tires, wheels, and lowering springs, etc.

Most of the time I didn’t mind because I wouldn't be driving long distances to justify having a “super comfortable ride”. However, this supra definitely rides way better than any car I have owned before and I am going to be driving long distances more frequently now.

Long story short, is there any recommendations on how to maintain the stock ride quality and cabin sound while also doing aftermarket tire, wheel, and lowering work as well? I would like to do 305’s in the back and whatever biggest I can fit comfortably in the front, as well as lowering it to make the fitment perfect. Does lowering the vehicle disable the “normal” and “sport” dampening options as well?

Any recommendations or anecdotal opinions are welcome! Thanks!
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I would say definitely a nice beefy sidewall. So instead of dropping down to 30 series. Stay with the 35 series sidewall. As far as lowering, I wouldn’t even lower this car IMO. Most of the people lower this car for looks not performance. I doubt a set of $300-$500 springs will help. Lol The 35”s in wider tires and wheels will really fill up that fender gap.

And if your going to lower it, do it right and get a full coil over setup something like the RSR which also includes the plug in harness for the stock electronic dampeners. IMO of course.

Just look at this member’s car below. He is on stock suspension but just more beefy tires and wider/lower offset wheels.

Attachments

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Long story short, is there any recommendations on how to maintain the stock ride quality and cabin sound while also doing aftermarket tire, wheel, and lowering work as well? I would like to do 305’s in the back and whatever biggest I can fit comfortably in the front, as well as lowering it to make the fitment perfect. Does lowering the vehicle disable the “normal” and “sport” dampening options as well?

Any recommendations or anecdotal opinions are welcome! Thanks!
Sidewall height, tire choice, and wheel choice will be pretty important. Reduced sidewall height means there is less sidewall to absorb bumps and the like. Width and profile can offset one another to a degree. So, a 305/30 tire may have a roughly similar sidewall height to a 275/35 tire. So maybe don't go with 20"s. Tire choice is also important: some tires, particularly very high performance ones, can have very stiff sidewalls that improve steering response but transmit more bumps from the road itself. They can also be really loud and give you a lot of "tire roar". Finally, wheel choice matters too. A heavy wheel increases unspring weight, and in my experience, a heavy wheel seems to send more shock through the chassis when you hit a bump. I speak from personal and painful experience.

As for springs, it will depend on the brand. I think we have good options for the Supra like H&R, Swift, Tein, etc. I don't think you can lower and maintain the exact same ride quality but I think you can maintain a good one. Do some searches to see what people's experience has been with different brands.

Lowering does NOT disable “normal” and “sport” dampening options.

Coilovers will improve handling but worsen ride quality dramatically.

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Excellent points above. It's relatively easy to both decrease unsprung/rotational mass of the wheel and tire package and increase the sidewall height of the tire by going to a smaller diameter wheel. The brakes on these cars will accommodate some 18" wheels and if you like the meaty sidewall look 18s are a great option:
51322267196_aa945459ff_h.jpg

275/40-18s on 18x10.5 ET38 wheels
19s look great on this chassis as well though so it can be a tough choice.

-Tom

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Excellent points above. It's relatively easy to both decrease unsprung/rotational mass of the wheel and tire package and increase the sidewall height of the tire by going to a smaller diameter wheel. The brakes on these cars will accommodate some 18" wheels and if you like the meaty sidewall look 18s are a great option:
51322267196_aa945459ff_h.jpg

275/40-18s on 18x10.5 ET38 wheels
19s look great on this chassis as well though so it can be a tough choice.

-Tom
Those wheels are hot!!!! ^^^^

VelgenWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Audi RS6 2021 Dodge Ram TRX
Like everyone else has already said, lowering it isnt necessary and will affect the ride quality unless you do an over the top suspension kit. A lot does really on what brand tire you are going with what wheels you go with and of course smaller sidewall means Moree bumpy so stay 35 sidewall If you are looking for a super comfortable ride.

I would stay away from 20s since you aren't going for just looks and veer towards 19s or 18s.

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
I would size down to 18's with something around 265/40R18 or 275/40R18 in the front and 295/35R18 or 305/35R18 in the rear. This gives you about another inch of squishy sidewall to soften the ride quality. If you don't care about tracking the car or very responsive handling, going to UHP all seasons would also improve ride quality and noise, as well as wet/winter handling. The Continental DWS 06 Plus, for example, in the sizes I mentioned would probably give you a much smoother ride for long distance driving as you mentioned.

The Eibach Z4 springs (mild .8" drop, smooth ride) or the HKS adjustable springs would be a good option if you wanted to lower, and they retain the stock shocks and dampening. TRD also has a dampened bracing system, which could have some effect on ride quality.

You could also add dynamat/MLV the floor of the car under the carpet, and perhaps also the headliner and door/trunk panels for a quieter interior as well.

Meaty tires on 18's look pretty good:
1626891975347.png
1626892099803.png
1626892416154.png

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
Coilovers will improve handling but worsen ride quality dramatically.
I was onboard with everything you typed up until this, which is false.

A cheap coilover will ride like shit not long after installation simply because the dampers suck, and a track oriented coilover will ride harsher for obvious reasons, however a high quality street oriented coilover (Ohlins R&T/KW V3/RSR Sports) can actually improve ride quality.

gemini.supra

First Name
raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra mkv
I was onboard with everything you typed up until this, which is false.

A cheap coilover will ride like shit not long after installation simply because the dampers suck, and a track oriented coilover will ride harsher for obvious reasons, however a high quality street oriented coilover (Ohlins R&T/KW V3/RSR Sports) can actually improve ride quality.
What do you think is better between ohlins and KW V3?

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y
I'm on 19" TE37SLs and TEIN S-tech lowering springs and the ride quality is like 98% like OEM. My girl didn't even know I changed anything with the ride quality so it definitely passed the ultimate test LOL

I'm going to run 265/35/19 and 285/35/19 when I get tires and should slightly improve ride quality over the stock tires since they're one size too small on my TEs.
Sponsored