Mazda RX-VISION Rotary Sports Car Concept

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Mazda-Sports-Car-Concept-1.jpg

Mazda has just triggered our curiosity with the release of a shadowy teaser of a new sports car concept that will debut at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show on October 30.
return of the RX-7 rotary-powered sports car for Mazda?" and we don't blame you, as the same thought crossed our minds too, but we don't have any information in our hands to support this - yet.

Mazda is certainly lacking a closed-top sports car in its range after the demise of the RX-8 and there have been countless rumors –some even spurred by statements made by Mazda officials- about the company working on a coupe for the near future.

Together with this sports study, the Japanese brand will have a total of 14 models at its Tokyo Motor Show stand, including the production-intent crossover concept KOERU in its first appearance in Japan, two racing-spec Mazda MX-5s and, for what it's worth, the Cosmo Sport (110S outside Japan), which was introduced in 1967 as Mazda's first production Rotary Engine-powered model.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/mazda-to-debut-new-sports-coupe-concept.html
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I test drove the new Miata this past weekend. The sales guy at Mazda told me just about the same thing. He did mention it will be the RX-9, it's suppose to be really light and close to 500 HP coming closer to 2020. I guess we'll see later this year.

Last edited:

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
^ I test drove the new Miata this past weekend. The sales guy at Mazda told me just about the same thing. He did mention it will be the RX-9, it's suppose to be really light and close to 500 HP coming closer to 2020. I guess we'll see later this year.
Mazda already said there is no and will be no high performance model in the foreseeable future.
Specifically they want to grow first and make cash.

Autonews: No plans for a larger sports car entry?
Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai: No.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...kogai-new-product-pricing-drive-move-upmarket

There is nothing to read between the lines. It's a flat out no. The rotary motor will only come back as a range extender, if at all. This is the CEO and chief engineers words, Not mine.
There is not even a maybe.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Mazda is not bring back anything:

"Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai confirmed that the company has no plans to build a sports car larger than the Miata, effectively dashing hopes for the RX-9"

As for Mitsubishi... where have you been if not planet earth? They stopped existing last year. Nissan bought them up and they haven't made a new evo in 10 years, and stopped production of the current one some time ago. Not to mention their car sales are non existent outside Japan.

"Nissan Motor said on Thursday it had completed a deal to take a controlling stake in Mitsubishi Motors, and would be retaining the embattled automaker’s chief executive to ensure its recovery from a mileage cheating scandal."

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda is not bring back anything:

"Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai confirmed that the company has no plans to build a sports car larger than the Miata, effectively dashing hopes for the RX-9"
Toyota said the same thing about the FT-1 and the LF-LC. Even Kevin Hunter in one of the interview videos for the FT-1 said there is no plan at all to build it. But if some internal 'project' is going on with a new rotary engine and they get it right, they now have the concept car they can put that thing in and actually build it. I think rumors before the concept were that a rotary was being worked on and after the concept came out they were having issues with getting the engine to meet emissions or something. I have heard from 2 Mazda sales people that the noise in house lately is that its coming in a few years. But then again it could all be noise.

I understand that CEO said there is no plan to build a larger sports car...but this could be the response he had at that moment type of thing.

Last edited:

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Toyota said the same thing about the FT-1 and the LC-F. Even Kevin Hunter in one of the interview videos for the FT-1 said there is no plan at all to build it. But if some internal 'project' is going on with a new rotary engine and they get it right, they now have the concept car they can put that thing in and actually build it. I think rumors before the concept were that a rotary was being worked on and after the concept came out they were having issues with getting the engine to meet emissions or something. I have heard from 2 Mazda sales people that the noise in house lately is that its coming in a few years. But then again it could all be noise.

I understand that CEO said there is no plan to build a larger sports car...but this could be the response he had at that moment type of thing.
The rotary at Mazda is indeed still being worked on, but it was specifically stated to be as a range extender.
If you have to understand this is now Mazda post Ford. They do not have the cash for a high performance vehicle - their words, not mine

I mean they still could in the future, but they are pretty adamant that it's not now.

Timmo598

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Toyota Supra, 02 Nissan Silvia, 09 370Z
Vehicle Showcase
As for Mitsubishi... where have you been if not planet earth? They stopped existing last year. Nissan bought them up and they haven't made a new evo in 10 years, and stopped production of the current one some time ago. Not to mention their car sales are non existent outside Japan.
Most of us im sure, we're aware of some of this info already.
Mitsubishi are certainly still in business, just owned by Nissan now.
They are still making cars and still selling outside of Japan.
For E.G, they still brand new cars here in Aust and im pretty sure they do over in the US as well.
Only difference is, they dont 'manufacture' in the States anymore. Its all done in Japan

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Borgwarner has announced electrically assisted Turbo's; Audi is using them, basically a tiny electric supercharger right next to the turbo; IMHO that renders the need for a supercharger moot.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
New Mazda RX sports car sports car still on track

New Mazda RX concept car set for Tokyo Motor Show as Mazda confirms intention to bring the rotary engined sports car to life

Mazda’s RX Vision concept car is gaining momentum on its road to production and will influence the look of other cars as the brand prepares to unveil a new concept car at the Tokyo Motor Show in October.

It’s almost two years since Mazda first revealed the RX Vision, which gave us our best indication yet that a new rotary-powered Mazda sports car was in the pipeline. Since then it has gone a bit quiet, as Mazda bosses have been trying to piece together a business case for the car.

However, a conversation with Mazda’s Vice President for R&D in Europe, Matsuhiro Tanaka, at the recent Frankfurt Motor Show shows things are back on track. “With the Tokyo Motor Show we will be introducing a new design concept - you can think of it as an evolution of theme of the RX Vision.

“When we introduce a concept our intention from the engineering and design community is to make it a reality,” Tanaka told Auto Express. “What I will say is that we are making the utmost efforts to try and make this a possibility.”

Asked if Mazda would consider forming another alliance, like it did with Fiat on the MX-5, to help reduce costs, Tanaka said: “Currently we have absolutely no plans to make any such alliances.”

It’s understood that Mazda wishes go it alone with the RX Vision because of how precious the brand feels over the Rotary engine technology currently under development.

New Mazda RX rotary engine: hybrid or non-hybrid?
The Mazda rotary-engined sports car is expected to arrive with a pure combustion engine instead of relying on electrification. The Japanese manufacturer showed its RX-Vision concept sports car at its Los Angeles Auto Show in 2016 - and a production version is thought to be earmarked to coincide with Mazda's centenary celebrations in 2020.

Speaking at the LA show, the firm’s head of R&D Kiyoshi Fujiwara admitted that several challenges remained before the long-awaited successor to the RX-7 and RX-8 could be given the green light and acknowledged that a rotary engine development team was still active.

“It is a small group of engineers still working, but they are still working,” Fujiwara told Auto Express, before revealing that there are “more than 10 staff and fewer than one hundred” committed to rotary development. “The things standing in the way are both the business case and the technical challenges - but I am optimistic that a solution for the technical challenges can be found.

“We have had significant challenges as a business even five years ago and there are debts from the past 30 or 40 years that need to be overcome, but if cars like the new CX-5 are successful then a production version of the RX-Vision could be a possibility. So you can see that CX-5 is extremely important.”

When asked if one of the potential solutions on rotary tech could be electrification, Fujiwara said, “All of our other internal combustion engines will have to have some form of electrification at some point - mild hybrid or 48-volt electrics” he said. “So yes, that type of technology could be in rotary engines in the future.”

“However, I believe I would like to introduce the new rotary engine without electrification,” he said, “because I think that is what the rotary engine fans will want.”

One other potential product strategy could be for the production RX-Vision to arrive in 2020 with a new generation of rotary engine, and then for a higher-performance version to overcome the technology’s inherit torque deficit by using 48V-based electric turbochargers.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/97740/new-mazda-rx-sports-car-sports-car-still-on-track

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I actually hope Mazda doesn't show anything at Tokyo. Wouldn't want anything to steal the spotlight from the Supra.
Sponsored