Mega Motor Mount Mashup

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've been waiting for good motor mount options for the A90 for some time now. The B58 in this configuration torques significantly when on-throttle. The stock motor mounts are too squishy for motorsport applications, especially so for cars pushing power significantly over stock. After installing an aftermarket intake on my '21 with only bolt-on power mods, the motor torqued enough to pop the coupler off between the turbo inlet pipe and the turbo inlet (something to check if you have the Eventuri intake installed, as they use - or used to use - a pretty short coupler). We now have some solid (pun intended) options on the market, and at least one (@Twisted Tuning) in development, so I thought I would create a post to discuss them. The products currently available for purchase have me, well...

PXL_20221108_175121698 - Edited.jpg

...let's just say I get excited about motor mounts. Why do I get so excited? Why have I relentlessly hounded @Twisted Tuning about releasing their product? I like "racecar shit," as @Thraxbert has said. The immediacy of throttle input and reduction in unwanted weight transfer (in certain situations) is palpable and desirable. The additional rumble through the car of the motor motoring feels good. This modification will definitely cause more NVH. How much depends on any number of variables, most notably in many cases, what hardness of inserts are used. Each of the products discussed below have various options regarding said hardness. Note that I have not installed these products on my Supra yet. My comments about feel are based completely on installing various stiff motor mounts in four separate street an track cars I've had in the past. I would expect the Supra to be no different. I will update this thread with pictures, video, and feedback as soon as I have the upgraded parts on the car, currently scheduled for November 18th, 2022.

Verus Engineering Motor Mount Assembly

Product Link
: https://www.verus-engineering.com/shop/a0273a-motor-mount-assy-toyota-mk5-supra-2609#attr=

Install Video:

Here are some pictures of the product I received:

PXL_20221108_165322166 - Edited.jpg

PXL_20221108_174746682 - Edited.jpg

PXL_20221108_174755762 - Edited.jpg

PXL_20221108_174720418 - Edited.jpg

Doteki Auto Solutions Motor Mounts

Product Link
: https://dotekiautosolutions.com/?page_id=41 (note all the sub-links are broken)

Install Video: None

I ran across this product when watching the following video:

Pretty much all of the links on their website are broken. Rich (the owner) is, however, very responsive to email inquiries submitted through the website and extremely helpful and pleasant, I let him know I wanted to buy these after a short discussion by email and he sent me an invoice to pay online. They offer a race version (pictured below) and a street version. The only different between the two are the hardness of the poly used in the product, with the race version being a 65D hardness.

Here are some pictures of the product I received:

PXL_20221108_165337690 - Edited.jpg

PXL_20221108_165352303 - Edited.jpg

PXL_20221108_165400811 - Edited.jpg

PXL_20221108_174912610 - Edited.jpg

Both products use a different philosophy in their design, and each of the designs have merit. I've made the decision to install the Verus Engineering product with the 90A hardness bushings, as I believe they are better designed to address lateral movement of the motor as it shifts. Both products are beautifully designed and produced. The billet aluminum Doteki motor mounts are almost too pretty to install, and I will gladly put them on a shelf in my office as a conversation piece until I (most likely) sell them. I welcome any and all input and calling me on my bullshit.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
RACE CAR SHIT 👀🥳

Stop making me want to buy the Verus mounts. My to-do list is already huge.
They are quite the piece of work. Beautiful quality and high grade hardware. Think of your poor motor always shimmying around in there. It didn't sign up for that shit.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Woohoo! Mine is in the shop right now getting them installed. Which insert are you going to go with? I went with the 90A.
I'll probably end up splitting the difference and using the 80A. Will tackle the install when I get my new turbo and have to take the downpipe off anyhow.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'll probably end up splitting the difference and using the 80A. Will tackle the install when I get my new turbo and have to take the downpipe off anyhow.
Right on. I should get my car back mid-next week. Will let you know how the 90A's feel. The shop is also going to give me a buzz so I can swing by and get some pics when it's up on the lift.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Right on. I should get my car back mid-next week. Will let you know how the 90A's feel. The shop is also going to give me a buzz so I can swing by and get some pics when it's up on the lift.
Excited to hear your feedback, man. I'm surprised it's taken so long to get quality mounts, much less chatter about it.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Ok! Got the chassis code cleared up and put in some seat time today. As I've noted briefly elsewhere, it's a stiff motor mount (90A insert). Additional NVH at idle. Plastic-to-plastic surfaces now buzz against each other. It's difficult to see anything in the rear view mirror at WOT because of the vibration... though some of that has to be from the catless downpipe that went on at the same time, which is so f'ing loud. It's tough to tell. I noticed this on one other car I put stiff mounts on, but there's additional and different feeling NVH through slow sweeping turns now that would have normally been soaked up by the stock oil-filled mount. All that said, the motor doesn't torque around under the hood any longer when hitting the throttle, which feels more direct during launches and when rolling on it at-speed. Shifts feel more direct, too. Just feels better overall from a driving dynamics perspective.

An unintended consequence: When braking hard (in a straight line) from 100-20ish for a sharp right, popping down through the gears, the rough 3rd to 2nd downshift with xHP stage 3 was enough to upset the car in an uncomfortable way. Likely because there just isn't much give in the driveline anymore (I also have the stiffer tranny mounts) and the roughness of the shift was felt in the rest of the car rather than absorbed by a squishy motor mount. I need to do this a bunch more times to make sure I was actually braking in a straight line and wasn't letting it float to the outside of the... track. Also need to play with xHP and try and tune out at least some of that roughness.

Overall 10/10, would do again if you like race car shit.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm mid-install right now. Almost have the driver side mount out. Saving this spot for an update.

Got the driver side out so I'm basically home free!

PXL_20230122_021158435.jpg

The underside of the Verus mount after OEM removed:

PXL_20230122_052746015.jpg

The driver side Verus mount installed:

PXL_20230122_052736468.jpg

The passenger side Verus mount installed:

PXL_20230122_052657980.jpg

My naughty children, whom I love:

PXL_20230122_053854119.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm mid-install right now. Almost have the driver side mount out. Saving this spot for an update.

Got the driver side out so I'm basically home free!

PXL_20230122_021158435.jpg

The underside of the Verus mount after OEM removed:

PXL_20230122_052746015.jpg

The driver side Verus mount installed:

PXL_20230122_052736468.jpg

The passenger side Verus mount installed:

PXL_20230122_052657980.jpg

My naughty children, whom I love:

PXL_20230122_053854119.jpg
Good luck on the rest of the install! Let us know how it goes. This was one I was glad to pay someone to do. I like working on the "easy" or programming-related projects myself, but like dropping the rear subframe, there are some jobs that may be expensive but I'm just not willing to take on.

I installed an MST intake recently and the clearances between the bolt that goes through the airbox mounting gasket and the end of the air filter was tight. So I asked the wife to sit in the car and rev it a bunch of times while I stuck my fingers in there to see if the motor torquing would cause it to rub. With the blue (stiffest) motor mount inserts, there was essentially zero movement. Granted, the car was in neutral so there was no resistance, but it was pretty dang impressive.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Ok! Got the chassis code cleared up and put in some seat time today.
Who does your code clearing for you? This is my cars fav code as well

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Who does your code clearing for you? This is my cars fav code as well
The Toyota dealership had to straighten this one out for me. The TC (DSC? whatever it's called) module had to be recalibrated after the car was put into then taken out of service mode. I'm lucky to have a good service department where the shop foreman is a Supra certified tech. All of the other codes from dicking around with things I've been able to read/clear myself. You still getting chassis codes after all that stuff was installed on your car?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
The Toyota dealership had to straighten this one out for me. The TC (DSC? whatever it's called) module had to be recalibrated after the car was put into then taken out of service mode. I'm lucky to have a good service department where the shop foreman is a Supra certified tech. All of the other codes from dicking around with things I've been able to read/clear myself. You still getting chassis codes after all that stuff was installed on your car?
I do at times. That chassis code seems to be the most common talking to others at the track. So I’m learning what‘s the easiest fix for me being very computer illiterate. Local dealer in my area isn’t at that level yet. :)

But those mounts look sweet! Good luck on hitting the sweet spot with it 😃
Sponsored