Advertisement

Mishimoto's Performance Heat Exchanger R&D Thread

Discussion in 'B58 6-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons' started by Mishimoto, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Mishimoto

Mishimoto Well-Known Member
    Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Guess who's back, back again.

It's me. Nick from Mishimoto to be your guide through the development of our performance heat exchanger for the B58 powered Supra.

NLT_7231-2.jpg

Above you'll find Jason, our engineer working on this project, as he gathers initial measurements for the new heat exchanger design.

As I type this, I realize that there might be some here who are not quite familiar with the concept of a heat exchanger. If you're on here, I will assume that you don't live under a rock and have hear the news that the Supra's intercooler is an air-to-water system and is built into the intake manifold. Well, the heat pulled from the intake air needs to be transferred somewhere, which comes in the form of basically a second radiator which is basically an intercooler cooler, or more widely known as a heat exchanger. Improving on this secondary radiator helps the intercooler performing more efficiently, and keeps your IATs down, especially once the boost starts going up.

We have plenty in store for you as we progress into this project, so stay tuned. And speaking of tunes, what kind of power do you guys hope to see out of your Supras?

-Nick

EastCoastSupra and MA617M like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    NLT_9318.jpg
    *Laser Sounds*

Just wanted to bump this up with a look at what we've been up to! Jason is working the Faro arm to create a virtual version of the Supra's heat exchanger to work off of in Solid Works.

Plenty more to come! As always, feel free to shoot over any questions you might have!

-Nick

EastCoastSupra likes this.
  3. TreyE

TreyE Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Trey
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra GR
    Liked:
    Any updates?

4. Extreme Power House

Extreme Power House Well-Known Member
    Gold Sponsor

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
    Liked:
    Home Page:
    Sub'd

5. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Nothing quite yet, but I should have more info for you guys soon!

-Nick

6. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to bump this thread up with some fresh new content! Make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog to read more!

Cool Integration - Performance Heat Exchanger R&D, Part 1 - Stock Review

NLT_7235-2.jpg

Our first impression is that this cooler uses just about every design feature that we see in OEM radiator construction. A light tube-and-fin-core with a pair of plastic end tanks crimped to either end. This means of radiator construction is perfect for large scale manufacturing since it’s inexpensive to produce by the thousands and is still adequate for most uses. However, as we see in plenty of OEM radiators and heat exchangers, once the boost turns up, these units will fill with heat and rob your B58 of performance. The plastic end tanks aren’t ideal speaking in the vehicle’s long term since they’re prone to degradation after so many heating cycles. That all said, BMW still has some tricks up their sleeve when it comes to the factory heat exchanger.

NLT_7286-Edit.jpg

As always, feel free to shoot over any questions you might have, and make sure to head to the Engineering Blog for more info!

-Nick

7. absaifan

absaifan Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ahmed
    Car(s):
    Mkv Supra, MKIV 2jz-gte, Q7, FJ Cruiser
    Liked:
    Nice Blog

Mishimoto likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Nick

9. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bump this back up to the top with an update on our performance heat exchanger! As always, make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog for the full article.

NLT_3158.jpg

They say that failing to plan is planning to fail, so I'm coming at you today with our big plans for the new heat exchanger design. Our engineering team starts out with creating a full 3D model of the stock part, and the front of the car using our Faro Design ScanArm, as seen in the photo above. WIth this info, our engineer, Jason, now has the precise dimensions for the build envelope along with any important mounting locations that we are aiming to keep. Within a matter of hours after the design process we can have a metal frame and 3D printed end tanks of our design, that are ready for a test fit.

NLT_3208.jpg

For some more specifics on our plan for the heat exchanger, head on over to our blog!

Don't hesitate to shoot over any questions that you might have!

-Nick

10. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bump this up and let you know that we're still chipping away at this project! We're wrapping up our testing and crunching the data, so we have more info on this Heat Exchanger coming soon!

NLT_6245.jpg

NLT_3591.jpg

As always, feel free to shoot over any questions that you might have!

-Nick

11. OP
    OP
    Mishimoto

Silver Sponsor

Car(s):
    Many
    Liked:
    Hey Guys!

Happy Monday, I hope everyone had a great weekend! I just wanted to bump this thread up to drop the next update on our Supra Heat exchanger R&D! As always make sure to head to our Engineering Blog for the full scoop!

NLT_7199.jpg

The first and most apparent revision is full aluminum construction aimed at exponentially improving the durability of this heat exchanger. Focusing in on the core, we expanded the thickness of the core by 10mm, for an overall 42mm thick, single row core, equating in a 31% increase in core volume. Jason also made adjustments to the row and fin designs, increasing the external fin surface area by 48% all in the name of boosting the heat dissipation characteristics of the core.

NLT_7242.jpg

Make sure that you keep your eyes peeled to see how well our new design performs on the dyno in the coming weeks! Also, don't hesitate to shoot over any questions that you might have!

- Nick

Supra Werty likes this.