MKV Supra vs BMW M2 Competition

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus rx350
I love seeing the Supra name come back to life. Of course, there is no concrete information yet about the specs of the MKV so all we have now is rumors but I can't help but to make a comparison of the MKV Supra (with rumor specs) to the M2 Competition.

The way I see it, I think the Supra will come in 3 flavors. The base model with the in-line 4 from the BMW 330. The mid level model will be the straight 6 from the BMW 340 and the top level (Gazoo Racing) will be the straight 6 from the M3/M4. Now I believe it will be the m3/m4 engine but detuned like how the M2 Comp is detuned from 444hp to 405hp.

I know a lot of people are saying that if the rumors are true which are floating around Goodwood that it'll be about 340hp, people are losing their mind saying how Toyota is missing the ball. To that I would say that the hp isn't the full story because the rumors are also saying that the car may weigh about 3100lbs. Keep in mind that the engine in the 340 has to move about 3500lbs and can still do 0-60 in the high 4 seconds. If you shave a few hundred pounds from that car to 3100lbs, I think that would put the 0-60 in the low 4 seconds not to mention how much that will improve handling in general. 3100 pounds in today's world is very light minus super cars and hypercard with tons of carbon fiber.

To take this one step further, take the detuned m3/m4 engine from the M2 Comp and drop that into the rumored 3100lbs chases and that should be fantastic. After all, even the M2 Comp is supposed to sill weight about 3600lbs (according to a BMW forum website) and does 0-60 in about 4.0 seconds according to BMW. Also factor in the rumor that the Supra will come with slightly wider rear tires and this make this sound even better still.

Now if and it's a big if the MKV actually shakes out to have the m3/m4 S55 engine in the top of the line Gazoo Racing trim, maybe the fake vents will turn out to be real vents in the top level trim. At this point, I don't believe the vents are functional at least on the base and mid level trim but if they put in the S55, I'm hoping that the vents will be used to bring in more air to the radiators (next to the headlight), vent hot air from the engine (on the front fenders), and direct airflow to cool the rear brakes and/or direct airflow to the differential/transmission(vents on the door.)

My $.02.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I've made similar comments and think it would be wise of Toyota to go this route. Tuning support is already there and many M3/M4's are making north of 700 from what I have been reading...

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
You have some reading to do, especially in regards to the motor...

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
M2 comp configurator just came online yesterday. My build was $61,800.

Did an M4 and the build was $71,790. Comp pack M4 $76,540. But I think you can get good discounts on M4s right now.

And yeah an M2 comp officially weighs more than an M4. :crazy:

Even lighter weight, IMO Supra has to arrive in the low 50s, tops, to be able to compete with M2 comp. If it's going to be some $60k+ car, the Toyota by BMW is going to be a tough sell vs the in-house competitors....

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
M2 Competiton = 302kW / 1572kg = 192kW/tonne
A80 = 280kW / 1380kg = 202kW/tonne

That's an extra 15hp per tonne (2200 lbs) assuming the A80 is 380hp and 3035lbs

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
I believe the M2 will be heavier than the A90; but offer more power and torque as well. Looking forward to seeing a M2 vs. A90 go head-to-head.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
M2 Competition reviews are going live and it's good! This will be a great head to head. If an M2 is configured at 61k has manual has more power and torque but is heavier. If the MKV come in at 60k and is down on power but is 300lb lighter this is going to be an interesting competition as people have said

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
M2 Competition reviews are going live and it's good! This will be a great head to head. If an M2 is configured at 61k has manual has more power and torque but is heavier. If the MKV come in at 60k and is down on power but is 300lb lighter this is going to be an interesting competition as people have said
Quite interesting to se them go head-to-head. M2 priced at $61k sounds just right for me. But MkV priced at $60k sounds too steep...

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
M2 comp configurator just came online yesterday. My build was $61,800.

Did an M4 and the build was $71,790. Comp pack M4 $76,540. But I think you can get good discounts on M4s right now.

And yeah an M2 comp officially weighs more than an M4. :crazy:

Even lighter weight, IMO Supra has to arrive in the low 50s, tops, to be able to compete with M2 comp. If it's going to be some $60k+ car, the Toyota by BMW is going to be a tough sell vs the in-house competitors....
I checked M2 Competition starts at $58,900 excluding destination & handling fee of $995, tax, title, license, and registration.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I've build one on the configuration too, it came out to be $62,695 after destination I built it in Manual ofcourse

-Hockenheim silver $550
-Executive Package $1200 (Heated Steering, Adaptive LED Etc.)
-Moon Roof $1050

Is it just me or is this M2 closer to what people kinda wanted not including the badge,steep price and it's weight. I mean it's Manual, I6, 400/400 HP/TQ, RWD, has everything you need etc. It's not a bad car and package.

Hoping that the Supra will beat it in value : )

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I built one as well,
-Alpine White
-Black Wheels
-Orange stitching
-Carbon Fiber trim
-Executive Pkg
-M Sport Pkg

$62,600

I can see cars WITHOUT a sunroof being more desirable down the road...

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I built one as well,
-Alpine White
-Black Wheels
-Orange stitching
-Carbon Fiber trim
-Executive Pkg
-M Sport Pkg

$62,600

I can see cars WITHOUT a sunroof being more desirable down the road...
I agree with you, the moonroof was more of a appease the significant other. We've had many convertibles and the Moonroof was a minimum request.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
M2 may be one of the closest competitors of the A90 Supra. But I guess its direct competitor would be the new BMW Z4.

OP
OP

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus rx350
M2 may be one of the closest competitors of the A90 Supra. But I guess its direct competitor would be the new BMW Z4.
Originally, I thought maybe the top of the line Supra (Gazoo Racing branding) would have the M2 Comp engine which is a detuned M3/M4 S55 engine. The only reason why I think this might not happen is because the Supra and the Z4 are being co-developed and it wouldn't make sense for BMW to develop the Z4 without the S55 but Toyota gets developed with the S55 (again detuned like how the M2 Comp.) That's just not smart uses of R&D dollars when two companies are developing one platform to be shared but one companies goes their own way one something as critical as engine development while the other company doesn't.

So now I'm thinking maybe the top of the line Supra will have the new B58 engine which is supposed to make 382hp and 369lb-ft of torque. Although not staggering numbers, this would still be a very strong package considering all of the rumors floating around about how the Supra is supposed to weight about 3100 pounds whereas the M2 Comp weighs about 3600 pounds with 405 hp from the detuned S55 engine.

This might also allow the rumors to play out more correctly too because for the longest time, the Supra has been rumored to have an automatic transmission with no option for a manual. The B58 would definitely have an 8 speed auto whereas the S55 has a dual-clutch "automatic" transmission so unless Toyota is playing us with the use of "automatic," this might make more sense.
Sponsored