Mod friendly dealerships?

Levophed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR supra 3.0
Hi guys I’m new to the forum so ignore me if this is posted in the wrong area. I’m looking to throw a AA DP and JB4 on my 2022 and was wondering if you guys had any dealerships that were mod friendly near Tampa/Orlando and wouldn’t deny warranty work. I’m new to the whole owning an expensive sports car thing. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
I dont claim to be a professional on warranty or anything(p.s I dont live in the US either), but I think both jb4 and a DP will void ur warranty, cuz jub4 is messing with the ecu soooo I doubt they wont void ur warranty. As for the DP I only heard it voids it not sure why. Just wait on someone to correct me who actually knows wassup

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
As long as the issue is unrelated to whatever you're trying to fix under warranty, you should be fine. I had a broken window actuator on my MX5 and they fixed it. Again, my catless downpipe (for example) had nothing to do with the issue. But that's just an example... and I've put lots of track mods on many of our cars. Hope that helps

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
That is correct. As per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

"According to the Act, an automobile manufacturer cannot void your vehicle warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts. Unless the aftermarket part that caused the vehicle failure or contributed to it (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C))."

OP
OP
Levophed

Levophed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR supra 3.0
As long as the issue is unrelated to whatever you're trying to fix under warranty, you should be fine. I had a broken window actuator on my MX5 and they fixed it. Again, my catless downpipe (for example) had nothing to do with the issue. But that's just an example... and I've put lots of track mods on many of our cars. Hope that helps
Ahh I see okay so going for a jb4 and DP probably isn’t the best option for me right now :(. I think I might just go for a catback then. I had some people who were telling me the other day that they run JB4s and Downpipes on their GTIs and they just remove them before they go to the dealer and they’re undetectable but I have no idea how true that is. Any input on that? Thanks for your response

barasoap

First Name
Niel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT
I have a JB4 and used to remove it before bringing them in to service. Stopped caring a couple months ago since I put in my DP and I've been asking them not to touch my OBDII since I got my unlock. They haven't said anything about my warranty.

If you're still worried, make friends with the person at the dealership who did your financing and they can put in black and white what you're allowed to do.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ahh I see okay so going for a jb4 and DP probably isn’t the best option for me right now :(. I think I might just go for a catback then. I had some people who were telling me the other day that they run JB4s and Downpipes on their GTIs and they just remove them before they go to the dealer and they’re undetectable but I have no idea how true that is. Any input on that? Thanks for your response
I have both and am going to the dealer today for a computer reset. Luckily you and I are in Florida. I have no idea how far up your tailpipe the other States get, but you can be free here in FLoRidia my friend. Yes I will pay for an hour or two of service hours because I created this issue. But again, I’ve never had a problem that was unrelated that any dealer wouldn’t fix.

That being said, it can be hard to get some dealers to work on an aftermarket problem. In my case needing their software to reset my issue. Update: I’m still working on getting that resolved.

Love your name BTW, aka adrenaline 😂

Last edited:

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
The Supra is very reliable from a transmission and powertrain perspective, even when modified, it's unlikely JB4 and a DP will cause an issue, especially if you go with a custom map.

In any case, you've already paid alot of money for a supra, likely because you want to have fun.. Why not add another 2% to that to have a little more fun?

Ask yourself if you would have taken a 500 horsepower Supra from the dealer for an extra $2000 with a reduced warranty knowing that 1 out of every 1000 or so vehicles has a minor issue.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Or just go to an independent BMW mechanic?
That’s what I do. And he saves me tons of money by telling the big Toyota or BMW dealers what needs to be diagnostically, if/when I have to go in there to use their computer services.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just a general note, but you have to pay to play in regards to modifying your car. I know this stuff is fun, and I've been where you are, but if you're that worried about your warranty I highly recommend enjoying your car in a stock form.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
I had some people who were telling me the other day that they run JB4s and Downpipes on their GTIs and they just remove them before they go to the dealer and they’re undetectable but I have no idea how true that is. Any input on that? Thanks for your response
  • Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act above. Generally speaking, warranties are not usually “voided”, but “warranty claims will be denied” if the failed part is related to your modded part.
  • GTI owner here. I’ve removed my JB4 (and just tucked the OBD wire) without issue for routine service. I’ve heard of successful powertrain warranty claims with JB4/downpipe removed. VAG cars will get flagged with a “TD1” (ecu modified) of hooked up to the computer and the ECU has a flash meaning that even if you flash back to stock later, your car will forever carry that scar.
  • Word on the street is that BMW logs the cars parameters and even if you remove the JB4, if the tech/BMW cares enough, they can find that the car has been operating outside of the allowed stock parameters
  • Echoing the consensus here - removing your JB4 is safer than leaving it on or flashing the car and hoping for the best with a warranty claim, but you should absolutely assume that if you modify it, your related warranty claims may be denied and that’s the price you pay to play.
  • I am very confident in this platform particularly at JB4 power levels. I was so scared of running into warranty issues with my GTI that I rocked a JB4 until the warranty was up before flashing (I shouldn’t have been - MK7s are solid, but I had a MK5 before that…). With the Supra, I flashed it within 5000 miles of ownership.
  • Both BMW and Toyota are amongst the most reliable car brands (https://www.consumerreports.org/car...who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/) and you have a bunch of people ahead of you pushing way more than JB4/stock turbo power.
  • Also, I would strongly advise you to never use a Toyota dealer for any service you don’t have to. They work on Toyota’s. For the purposes of this conversation, you drive a BMW. Find a local performance shop specializing in BMWs/euros, and you’ll be better taken care of.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
It never hurts to ask the dealership you want to use if they would still honor the warranty claim given certain mods.
I find having a conversation tells you a lot about the kind of folks running the place and whether or not you should even continue to use them regardless of mods.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think the last 3 responses were spot on @Levophed. The car by itself is a blast. Go do your free track day! If you want to do something down the road, ask the dealer. We’re in FL, so at least no one is sniffing our tailpipe or dishing out fines. If you wanted to do an exhaust for example, that’s all downstream, there would be nothing to deny if your memory seat malfunctions, or anything else in the engine, to name a few examples.

Hit me up if you do decide to to your trackday here in FL (Sebring or Homestead). Love to meet ya and see you out there :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levophed

Levophed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR supra 3.0
I think the last 3 responses were spot on @Levophed. The car by itself is a blast. Go do your free track day! If you want to do something down the road, ask the dealer. We’re in FL, so at least no one is sniffing our tailpipe or dishing out fines. If you wanted to do an exhaust for example, that’s all downstream, there would be nothing to deny if your memory seat malfunctions, or anything else in the engine, to name a few examples.

Hit me up if you do decide to to your trackday here in FL (Sebring or Homestead). Love to meet ya and see you out there :)
Hey man I would love to come out and track the car soon. I’m in California right now finishing up a travel nurse contract. I’ll make sure to hit you up before I sign up! You said earlier that you take your Supra to an independent bmw mechanic any recommendations?
Sponsored