Modifying and warranty Void

Discussion in 'Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB' started by a90_tay, Jun 15, 2019.

1. a90_tay

a90_tay Member

Car(s):
    E92 M3, MKIV TT6, A90 Edition on Order
    Liked:
    as we all know Toyota has been harping On about this car being a base for the tuning community

What we also know is many companies warranty becomes void when tuning or altering a vehicle

How does this sit with Toyota I wonder? Would be extremely contradictory to void a persons warranty when modifying a vehicle that was built for that very purpose

If acceptable I wonder where the boundaries are. Can’t imagine they’d be happy with keeping a warranty on a 750hp version

2. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Dealer I went to had absolutely no idea on this. Gave me the traditional Extended Warranty booklet. Upon asking a similar question as yours, she looked quite puzzled :D
    I think some don't even know what the vehicle looks like to begin with :) None of the price/warranty/etc. folders she looked had any info about the car...

I'd assume Toyota nor any other OE for that matter would ever accept the liability and coverage of any tune. The investigation alone into these would require a dedicated task force, i.e. FEA fatigue analysis, CFD flow analysis, etc... Why would any OE throw money at an investigation for a part from any supplier.. Supplier's could and should include "tested vigorously and warranty x years", but that still couldn't even begin to tell anyone what happens when 10 aftermarket parts come together and behave... You change the dampening on the suspension, then let's say your engine mount went kaput because of harsh vibration/excitation, then engine failed or something.. Why would Toyota honor warranty on that...

Anyhow, in short, it's a big NO. Call me negative or whatever, this is the absolute truth..

tonyng92 likes this.
  3. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Darren
    Car(s):
    1993 RX7; 2011 Toyota RAV 4
    Liked:

I think it's a stretch to say the Supra was built for the very purpose of being modified. Yes, Toyota knows it will happen with some owners, and they have built it so that it's modifiable friendly, but I doubt any of them would claim its purpose is to be modified. To do that would open up this issue of warranty that you are bringing up, and it would also be an argument that the car isn't very good as it stands from the factory - which is not the reality Totota wants to convey. Instead, they have played this modifiable card to appeal to a broader group, including those who have/will modify it, and it also appeases somewhat those critics who say the performance is not up to par.

4. scoates

scoates Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2015 GT86, Supra A90 Edition on order!
    Liked:
    From my understanding on how Toyota UK dealt with warranties on modified GT86s it was along the lines of if the parts you installed caused the failure then you're not covered. For example say you install coilovers and wheels, and the engine blows, that should be covered, but if you install a turbo system and the engine blows, you're out of luck. Even that though I think depends on individual dealers but that seemed to be the way they took it from what I've heard. I'd have thought they would do similar with the Supra as well.

5. E4EVL

E4EVL Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    AMG GTS - sold awaiting a replacement
    Liked:
    ^ this. Warranty work has to be authorised and can be audited at manufacturer level. A dealer is just a franchisee and they can in theory bend the rules but not break them. If you modify a car and the mod/s have a direct impact on what has broken, tough. Pay to play.

There is a press video where someone asks directly about the warranty after discussing all the vents and cut outs in the chassis for bracing and cooling mods etc and I can’t remember if it was Akio or the chief engineer but they say they will not cover warranty on it.