Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra

Which one gets your vote?

• Total voters

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I'm sick of the Supra catching negatives for being a BMW. I can understand if BMW was like Daewoo or one of the world's worst brands in quality and dynamically. Most of the same people that hate the BMW aspect of this car generally love BMW cars.
NO one cares the Lotus EVORA has a TOYOTA V6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The SUPRA is a TOYOTA developed machine.
Sponsored

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
It seems like 91 octane is the Nissan Z's kryptonite in straightline performance. A Supra is only .2 seconds slower on 91 vs the Z being .5 - .7 seconds slower on 91. They even put octane booster in and it was still somewhat disappointing with 12.9 on the 9spd.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Sounds like all the CA Zs are going to be even slower than the test shows unless everyone is riding around with some octane booster in their tank. Just sad.

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Has Nissan actually given the 91 octane power numbers then, considering the claimed 400 crank hp is on a fuel 75% of us don't have easy access to?

There's a few non-turbo vehicles out there where the owner's manual actually spells out that you lose like 3-5 hp on mid-grade vs premium fuel..

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
What kind of con list is that? They forgot to add "The Supra is a better car" to the list of drawbacks...

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I'm sick of the Supra catching negatives for being a BMW. I can understand if BMW was like Daewoo or one of the world's worst brands in quality and dynamically. Most of the same people that hate the BMW aspect of this car generally love BMW cars.
My logic is that IF the way the car is made (BMW partnership) is bad, THEN the finished product should also be bad as a reflection of that. But somehow the Supra is objectively superior...go figure huh? Good cars are made the right way, and bad cars are made the wrong way.

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
I am so fucking tired of hearing about the Supra just being a BMW. It's like art critics getting pissed off because their favorite painters didn't use media from the same country they were born in. All those people that rail on about JDM don't really care unless it interferes with their own biases. You know who gets to decide what is a Toyota and what is not? Toyota. Don't like it? Fuck off and buy something else. That's the beauty of choice.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
JDM don't really care unless it interferes with their own biases.
Or know what JDM means. They think Japanese cars sold in America are JDM. lol. Fucking guys.

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Wow! Maybe I should’ve skipped a meeting or two and finished reading it before posting the link.

Admittedly, I skimmed the article and saw better brakes, better handling, and better acceleration then skipped the rest of the article while considering it all just noise. Now that I’ve had a chance to read it in it’s entirety, I still consider the rest of it noise since the Supra is a better car. I love driving mine so I don’t give a 💩 about people who obsess over who makes it or the country of origin. Nor does their opinion diminish the joy I feel while listening to the Supra’s exhaust crack and pop as I bomb down the local back roads. 🏎

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
People (and by people, I mean “journalists”, and by “journalists” I really mean idiots) seem to always forget that although the Supra uses BMW running gear and Z4 hard points, the two teams developed everything else independent of each other, and in fact, did not reveal data with one another until the projects were completed. Of course it’s stupid to claim the A90 is a home-grown Toyota, but to call it a BMW Z4 in a Japanese frock is almost equally off base.

Furthermore, as a previous M235i owner, BMW makes great engines, they have the best programming for the ZF8 auto, and that generation iDrive is fantastically intuitive. The reason I never want another BMW is because their build quality and reliability is, frankly, utter dog shite. A Toyota-supervised BMW engine development program that results in the robust, overbuilt B58 that is actually worthy of being in a Supra? Sign me up!

pandaman

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
They write these click bait articles because their industry is dying. No one wants to read their nonsense anymore so they'll do anything to get noticed.

He claims the Z has more horsepower. This is how out of touch this idiot is. He has no clue.

LinkMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 A91-CF, 21 X5 4.0i
He claims the Z has more horsepower. This is how out of touch this idiot is. He has no clue.
On paper, sure it does. If you're being lazy and only check a spec sheet there, job done. I never put much stock into the Z vs Supra wars, nor have I gotten mad at different reviewers or The Other Forum claiming that the Z would be better than sex and apple pie, because overall, more sports cars being built and less SUVs makes me have hope for the universe but at least when SG preferred the Z over the Supra, I could see and understand why. You like what you like. I can't be mad at someone preferring pancakes over waffles, even if they are wrong in the eyes of God and men. But this article is pretty bad, and comes with the kind of sophomoric takes that I'd expect from a forum post, not a piece of published journalism.
Sponsored