My Supra A90 Premium Vs Golf R Mk7.5

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
I was asked by a member to wrote a review/opinion on both cars.

These are very different cars so unfair to compare them.
Golf is a practical hatchback and is half the price of the Supra.
However I own both and these are my thoughts

Interior Fit and Finish
I have owned the Golf R for about 8 months. It had a sunroof creek and roof console rattle, both issues I fixed and its one well made and solid car. Unlike the Supra which I am still trying to fix three months into owning it.
The interior in my opinion and the electronics features are better than the Supra. Dash quality is better, Steering wheel looks and feels better in the hand. Leather on the steering wheel feels nicer. Seat Leather in the Golf R is nicer softer more plush and more bolstered. You sit in the seat as opposed to on top of the seats.

Road Noise/insulaton
The Golf is a quiet cabin, however surprisingly the Supra is quieter more refined on the road surface even with the wider tyres.

Performance
The Supra is a weapon its far more serious and far more of a pedigree sports car in every respect. However the nice thing about he golf is you can use its full performance on the road more than the Supra. I can hammer the Pedal down anytime and anywhere rain or sunshine and the golf grips and goes like a bullet revving cleanly to its redline. Its easier to be naughty on the road and give it a quick blast. its box is smooth and changes are seamless and superfast far better than the Supra box. They talk about the DSG having hesitation I really do not have this with my Golf R. Yes sometimes it can have a slow response and can catch you out in normal driving mode but in sport mode it delivery is just always there. I think its maybe more fun to drive as it feels so light and nimble the suspension is softer even in race mode (adaptive) every bump is easily absorbed but its still sits fairly flat. The Supra is far more powerful and needs more room to extract the best out of it.

The above captures the cars as stock.

I have since added a stage 2 revo mod to the golf and rear chassis brace miltek sport exhaust and some hardware parts to strengthen and make it breath better.
The Supra has a non resonated Catback AWE exhaust but no mods.

I like the looks of the Supra the seriousness of the Supra the 6cyl engine note the brake kit. I prefer the Golf to drive on the street every day of the week. It feels like its just so accomplished, so well rounded so responsive. I like the sound of the car, its not as nice as the 6cyinder or as smooth but its guttural and has lots of feel. It drones a little which is a shame.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I own one of each as well. Both are my hobby cars, each fantastic in their own ways.

In the USA Golf-R's don't come with a sunroof which is a big plus for me not to have heavy glass and motor at the highest point of the car.

My daily driver is a current model WRX Limited. A lot more comfy than the Golf-R and compliant, and can probably load more stuff.

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I own one of each as well. Both are my hobby cars, each fantastic in their own ways.

In the USA Golf-R's don't come with a sunroof which is a big plus for me not to have heavy glass and motor at the highest point of the car.

My daily driver is a current model WRX Limited. A lot more comfy than the Golf-R and compliant, and can probably load more stuff.
Yes I hardly use the roof and it had a known creak in it that was hard to fix. I am surprised that you say the WRX is compliant? I find the Golf R compliant.

I will be interested to see what the new Golf R ends up like

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
WRX Limited is softer riding than a stock Golf-R. It runs Sachs dampers (fixed damping) which are quite good. It’s actually closer feel to my Golf-R than my STI. Golf-R’s are cool I like them especially because mine is MT and lightly modded. Excellent touring car on the weekends.

To me comparing that car to a Supra might be like comparing apples to oranges.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
I was asked by a member to wrote a review/opinion on both cars.......
Thanks for your review Darren! I appreciate you taking the time to write this up.

I will be interested to see what the new Golf R ends up like
I will be too. Been trying to keep up with any news online. I so WISH they would use the 5 cylinder out of the RS3 but know that's not an option nor in the cards but sounds like the 2.0 will be receiving a nice power bump.

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for your review Darren! I appreciate you taking the time to write this up.

I will be too. Been trying to keep up with any news online. I so WISH they would use the 5 cylinder out of the RS3 but know that's not an option nor in the cards but sounds like the 2.0 will be receiving a nice power bump.

You welcome!! Glad you found it. Every time I get back into the Golf R after driving the Supra It makes me think that I should just sell the Supra. So I am thinking when the new Golf R Mk8 arrives I will probably sell the Supra and the Mk7.5 and just get the Mk8. Save a lot of coin. If the GOlf R wasnt so good I would have sold it as I do not need two cars.

I test drove an RS3 with the 5cyl before buying the Supra and whilst it sounds amazing when the revs are up and the performance is strong from standstill I found it astonishingly laggy compared to my Golf R. It rather surprised me. I am not a fan of laggy cars and waiting for boost to come on, especially as a daily driver. So I think the 2.0 4cyl is maybe a better daily driver.
Sponsored