Nail in tire w/o air loss

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lo and behold after driving through yet another long stretch of construction I found a nail in my driver side front tire, ironically after posting about it yesterday. There’s no air pressure loss right now and I drove on it a little before realizing it was there.

I’d like to take it to a toyota service center tomorrow since they’re closed today. However it seems they never have any sports car tire in stock whether it’s for the 86 or Supra and always take an hour to tell me they need to order one that will arrive later, so I was thinking of ordering the tire ahead of time online (I don’t have the tire/wheel warranty ?). I thought about taking it to a local tire shop but I trust the ones here less than the dealers based on experience.

Thoughts on this plan? Should I just wait to see what they say tomorrow? If it can be patched, will patching the tire prohibit driving at higher speeds?

5CBA9299-A799-4579-9D75-37A2ABB48FB2.jpeg
9865A5B0-AA70-42A1-9A24-6CAF67B5C966.jpeg
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
It's in the middle of the tread. Perfect candidate for plugging it yourself. Or go to a local tire shop and have them patch from inside. No reason to buy a new tire.

Unless you planned to track the tire, a plug or patch will do just fine. I wouldn't run a plugged tire for a HPDE but I've autocrossed and daily driven at least 10-15 plugged tires over the decades.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Should be $25 or so at your local discount tire to plug. If you’re nice enough they won’t charge you!

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's in the middle of the tread. Perfect candidate for plugging it yourself. Or go to a local tire shop and have them patch from inside. No reason to buy a new tire.

Unless you planned to track the tire, a plug or patch will do just fine. I wouldn't run a plugged tire for a HPDE but I've autocrossed and daily driven at least 10-15 plugged tires over the decades.
Should be $25 or so at your local discount tire to plug. If you’re nice enough they won’t charge you!
Thanks for the answer guys. Though I’ve had friends who had their TPMS sensor broken from improper dismounting at local tire shops. I’m also thinking about what if they don’t lift it at the right points etc etc. I could just take it there, but I’m hesitant. I’d want to reduce the risk of this being a hassle as much as possible and I rarely trust anyone with even simple things in regards to my cars. You think I should just get over it and take it there?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I agree with patching inside method. I've got it done on multiple vehicles, never had any issues at high speed or what have you. Never had any issue with TPMS either. Ask them to he mindful of it and that you're a lawyer that'll sue the heck out of them for negligence or something;)
Ps. I took mine to local shop where it looks sketchy but handles McLarens, etc.

There's always slight risk involved, but yours is in the middle where belts and tread are rather thick, unlike the parts of sidewall, so it's less risky...

How many miles do you have on the tires anyhow?

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree with patching inside method. I've got it done on multiple vehicles, never had any issues at high speed or what have you. Never had any issue with TPMS either. Ask them to he mindful of it and that you're a lawyer that'll sue the heck out of them for negligence or something;)
Ps. I took mine to local shop where it looks sketchy but handles McLarens, etc.

There's always slight risk involved, but yours is in the middle where belts and tread are rather thick, unlike the parts of sidewall, so it's less risky...

How many miles do you have on the tires anyhow?
Thanks for the tip. I have 1600 miles on them, actually waiting on oil to do break in oil change.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
You might get lucky. I got a screw in a tire 120 miles from home. Got home and pulled it out and it didnt even puncture..

But i also have been nearly stranded in the supra and had to plug my tire in the parking lot on my way home from the track. Thank god for 24hr walmarts.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Discount tire can patch it for free so long as there is no other repair done, like a gas station plug.. that's what my buddy who worked at Discount told me.

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No discount tire in my area, but I booked an appointment at a Goodyear auto service close to me for tomorrow yall. Has pretty good reviews, seems like it's run by a good manager. Hopefully the puncture depth isn't severe. I'll update the thread with how it goes

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
No discount tire in my area, but I booked an appointment at a Goodyear auto service close to me for tomorrow yall. Has pretty good reviews, seems like it's run by a good manager. Hopefully the puncture depth isn't severe. I'll update the thread with how it goes
I would pull the nail out. If it leaks jack the car up and remove the wheel yourself. Then just drop off the loose wheel to be plugged and patched. This will minimize exposure to your car.

-RJM

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would pull the nail out. If it leaks jack the car up and remove the wheel yourself. Then just drop off the loose wheel to be plugged and patched. This will minimize exposure to your car.

-RJM
Great tip! People here are so helpful. I’ll consider this certainly for next time, I’m in the middle of a staggered moving process and my jack and equipment are all at the new place.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Great tip! People here are so helpful. I’ll consider this certainly for next time, I’m in the middle of a staggered moving process and my jack and equipment are all at the new place.
Put the jack FIRST! then remove it!!! You don't want to have a fast deflating tire. Ask me how I know :( that was a lesson learned, never to be repeated again. You think the hole may be small, but it won't!

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Put the jack FIRST! then remove it!!! You don't want to have a fast deflating tire. Ask me how I know :( that was a lesson learned, never to be repeated again. You think the hole may be small, but it won't!
Haha I was definitely going to jack it up first if I were to do it but it’s definitely a likely mistake, thanks for the warning now I’ll be extra cautious in the future!

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I had something similar happen. I took to Costco and for $10 they patched it, filled it with nitrogen, and checked the other tires.

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had something similar happen. I took to Costco and for $10 they patched it, filled it with nitrogen, and checked the other tires.
Haha well it’s comforting to know people are taking supras to costco and are surviving.
Sponsored