TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
thesecretingredient.neocities.org
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra

This is a video of my best session of NASA Time Trials in a 2021 Toyota GR Supra at NOLA Motorsports Park in Avondale, LA (https://www.nolamotor.com).

Future event information can be found on the NASA Website under the NOLA Region (https://members.drivenasa.com/regions/29).

To Register for NASA Driving Events visit The NASA Website (https://drivenasa.com).

The forward view footage was shot in 1080P @60fps Wide using a GoPro Hero6 Black.
The rear view footage was shot in 1080P @60fps Wide using a GoPro Hero8 Black.

Vehicle telemetry data was collected using a RaceCapture Track MK2 available from AutoSport Labs (https://www.autosportlabs.com).

The vehicle telemetry overlays seen in this video were generated using Race Render software available from HPTuners (https://www.hptuners.com/product/racerender/).

Video editing and rendering were performed using DaVinci Resolve from Black Magic Design (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/)
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
@TYRFRYR Hoping you can help me out. I've tapped into CAN but I am not receiving any data in racecapture. Using your preset and all.

Can you take a look at this photo and confirm I tapped into the correct wires?

IMG_4524.jpeg

OP
OP
TYRFRYR

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Sorry for the delay in response. I've been on the road for work and for some reason didn't get an email notification from the board when you responded.

The Green/White Wires. Are they connected to CAN1 or CAN2 on the connector at your RaceCapture?

All of my Setup/Configs, use CAN1 for OBDII data via the D-CAN interface and use CAN2 for high speed data from the PT-CAN Bus.

If your loading the Shared Preset from Podium, you'll need to verify that the CAN Bus selection in the value configuration is using the CAN interface that you are connecting to the PT-CAN.

Also, verify the CAN polarity in your connection.

Yellow/White is the CAN High
Yellow/Black is the CAN Low

OP
OP
TYRFRYR

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Nevermind, realized you have the same username as this thread over on the RCP forums: https://direct.forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=30755

Did you ever find more CAN/OBD2 addresses like Knock, etc?
Unfortunately, the nature of CAN is that only data on the network is limited to data that is needed by a peer. If no other controller on the network needs the data (.ie. Knock) chances are it won't be broadcast on the network.

In that post there is a link to a google docs spreadsheet that details all of the OBDII supported PIDs for the supra. Can't remember if knock is in there or not.

Short of using something that supports BMW Enhanced Mode Diagnostics, you're kind of limited based on what the engineers decided to publish via OBDII and Broadcast over the PT-CAN.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Sorry for the delay in response. I've been on the road for work and for some reason didn't get an email notification from the board when you responded.

The Green/White Wires. Are they connected to CAN1 or CAN2 on the connector at your RaceCapture?

All of my Setup/Configs, use CAN1 for OBDII data via the D-CAN interface and use CAN2 for high speed data from the PT-CAN Bus.

If your loading the Shared Preset from Podium, you'll need to verify that the CAN Bus selection in the value configuration is using the CAN interface that you are connecting to the PT-CAN.

Also, verify the CAN polarity in your connection.

Yellow/White is the CAN High
Yellow/Black is the CAN Low
@TYRFRYR

Thanks for the reply!

Yea I tried both with CAN. I found out if you have the polarity switched the car throws errors and the whole car dash strobes off/on. That was a scary moment, lol.

I also tried just OBD2 with the OBD2 connector under the dash and even though the CAN light was flashing on the unit, I still am not getting any data on the racecapture. I think it might be faulty.

I had a racecapture in my Evo 10 that worked great so not my first time setting one of these up.

OP
OP
TYRFRYR

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
The supra is a bid of an odd bird. If you are using the OBDII cable that comes with the RaceCapture Device, you will be using the RaceCaptures CAN1 interface. On top of that, you're on the BMW D-CAN (diagnostic CAN Network) and essentially all you can do is make OBDII Requests. Only OBDII configured channels will work.

My preset files from Podium use CAN1 to communicate OBDII with the D-CAN (OBDII Port) and CAN2 to communicate with the PT-CAN (Passenger Footwell).

If you are connecting the RaceCapture CAN1 Interface to the PT-CAN (passenger footwell) and using the presets, you will have to update each channel configuration to use CAN Bus1 instead of CAN Bus 2 (See screenshot).

You can also use the CAN Bus Logger Script preset to monitor the CAN Bus of your selection (1 or 2) and see the raw data to verify that you are actually correctly connected to the BUS.

Attachments

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The supra is a bid of an odd bird. If you are using the OBDII cable that comes with the RaceCapture Device, you will be using the RaceCaptures CAN1 interface. On top of that, you're on the BMW D-CAN (diagnostic CAN Network) and essentially all you can do is make OBDII Requests. Only OBDII configured channels will work.

My preset files from Podium use CAN1 to communicate OBDII with the D-CAN (OBDII Port) and CAN2 to communicate with the PT-CAN (Passenger Footwell).

If you are connecting the RaceCapture CAN1 Interface to the PT-CAN (passenger footwell) and using the presets, you will have to update each channel configuration to use CAN Bus1 instead of CAN Bus 2 (See screenshot).

You can also use the CAN Bus Logger Script preset to monitor the CAN Bus of your selection (1 or 2) and see the raw data to verify that you are actually correctly connected to the BUS.
@TYRFRYR

So, I can no longer find your obd2 presets when I look for them in the racecapture interface. So I basically entered them based off the google doc you shared (thank you!). I used to be able to load them off podium via the racecapture app but they no longer show up for some reason.

Are you saying that using the obd2 cable connected on driver side, with the obd2 PIDs you provided, the race capture won't datalog because of the BMW oddness?

I was using the CAN 2 port on the RCP device for the passenger side footwell taps, and using your CAN2 config file.

Here is a screenshot of one of the entries and I'll copy paste some of the raw entries from my config file.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 6.57.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 6.57.46 PM.png

},
{
"add": -40.0,
"bigEndian": true,
"bm": false,
"bus": 0,
"div": 1.0,
"filtId": 1,
"id": 2024,
"idMask": 0,
"len": 1,
"max": 300.0,
"min": 0,
"mode": 1,
"mult": 1.0,
"nm": "ECT1",
"offset": 3,
"pass": false,
"pid": 103,
"prec": 1.0,
"sr": 25,
"subId": -1,
"type": 0,
"ut": "F"
},
{
"nm": "ECT2",
"offset": 4,
"pid": 103,
},
{
"nm": "IATS1",
"pid": 104,
},
{
"nm": "IATS2",
"offset": 4,
"pid": 104,
},
{
"nm": "OilTemp",
"pid": 92,
"sr": 10,
},

OP
OP
TYRFRYR

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Are you saying that using the obd2 cable connected on driver side, with the obd2 PIDs you provided, the race capture won't datalog because of the BMW oddness?
Which RaceCapture Device are you using? I'm using a Track MK2.

The way the non-legacy OBDII cable is manufactured (for the Track MK2), it uses the CAN1 interface on the RaceCapture Track MK2 to Service OBDII request/response messages. If you are using the pre-fabricated cable, you can only use CAN1 and can Only Perform OBDII request/send transactions since the OBDII port is on the BMW D-CAN and is isolated from the other CAN networks with a gateway module. The gateway module then translates the requests, collects the desired parameter and sends the response back to the RaceCapture Device. That's just how the BMW D-CAN network works.

To get power train data, you need to tap into the BMW PT-CAN (Yellow/White, Yellow/Black) and setup CAN Channels.

In my setup, I have CAN1 taped into the D-CAN at the OBDII Port (see attached picture), CAN2 tapped into the PT-CAN in the passenger footwell and power comes from an Accessory Key On Power Source.

I'll send you some google drive links to some config files you can look through.
Sponsored

Attachments