Need advice on buying

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2016 Ram Diesel
Just looking for advice on buying. I guess just looking for others perspective on my situation and the car I'm looking at. I found a 2020 in Renaissance red (not my first choice, turbulence is). It has 6900 miles on it. Honestly for a sports car that typically is driven hard, this makes me a little nervous. Should I be concerned about the miles? Also, I'm curious is there a huge difference between the 2020 and 2021 suspension? I think my plan is to do a DP and a tune (to bridge the gap in HP between the 20 and 21). Probably have the wheels powder coated black and maybe lowering springs.

Right now I have them down to $51K plus taxes and fees. Given what else I've seen out there, this seems pretty good, yes?

The dealer says the car is stock besides a front strut brace. Obviously who really knows, it could have been put back to stock before trading in. Looking at this carfax, it has been to the dealer a few times. One of the times it had a tire replaced due to damage according to the dealer I called. also it had the front brake pads replaced at 5k miles which seems odd. Thinking maybe it was tracked. it also had the windshield recalibrated but they didn't say why.

Anyways just trying to get others perspective on this car. Maybe I'm being picky but obviously just being cautious. It being still under warranty is a bit helpful. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Just looking for advice on buying. I guess just looking for others perspective on my situation and the car I'm looking at. I found a 2020 in Renaissance red (not my first choice, turbulence is). It has 6900 miles on it. Honestly for a sports car that typically is driven hard, this makes me a little nervous. Should I be concerned about the miles? Also, I'm curious is there a huge difference between the 2020 and 2021 suspension? I think my plan is to do a DP and a tune (to bridge the gap in HP between the 20 and 21). Probably have the wheels powder coated black and maybe lowering springs.

Right now I have them down to $51K plus taxes and fees. Given what else I've seen out there, this seems pretty good, yes?

The dealer says the car is stock besides a front strut brace. Obviously who really knows, it could have been put back to stock before trading in. Looking at this carfax, it has been to the dealer a few times. One of the times it had a tire replaced due to damage according to the dealer I called. also it had the front brake pads replaced at 5k miles which seems odd. Thinking maybe it was tracked. it also had the windshield recalibrated but they didn't say why.

Anyways just trying to get others perspective on this car. Maybe I'm being picky but obviously just being cautious. It being still under warranty is a bit helpful. Thanks for the help!
Walk. Too many red flags.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
This looks like a re-do from a few days ago?????

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
with the current market, prices are not what they used to be. last year you could find several used under $50k. Its a sellers market, so if you can wait... I would.

Strut bar wouldnt bother me, I would check to see if the downpipe or intake may have been removed at some point. Check the rear diff, and shocks to see if there are any signs of leaks or weeping. Windshield wouldnt be a big deal to me, these cars are low and a rock may have hit it and it had to be replaced. I have heard of some getting stress cracked, but very few.

Tire replacement could be anything, i've already had to replace one due to nails. Pad replacement does have me questioning???

One last tip. Register for the toyota owners website. Save the vin# as your own vehicle and you might be able to pull the service details. Make sure to delete the car off your profile when done.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Walk. Too many red flags.
Stand corrected.....a similar query asked in a different thread. Does sound a bit sketchy....If you took that deal @51K and added your mods, then you would probably be pretty close to a 2021. Of course, ECU can't be tuned at the moment so if that level of tuning is what you are looking for, then your 2020 search should keep going.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
with the current market, prices are not what they used to be. last year you could find several used under $50k. Its a sellers market, so if you can wait... I would.

Strut bar wouldnt bother me, I would check to see if the downpipe or intake may have been removed at some point. Check the rear diff, and shocks to see if there are any signs of leaks or weeping. Windshield wouldnt be a big deal to me, these cars are low and a rock may have hit it and it had to be replaced. I have heard of some getting stress cracked, but very few.

Tire replacement could be anything, i've already had to replace one due to nails. Pad replacement does have me questioning???

One last tip. Register for the toyota owners website. Save the vin# as your own vehicle and you might be able to pull the service details. Make sure to delete the car off your profile when done.
Good call on the Toyota website. Did this and it says the tire was replaced due to hiting something but doesn't really say anything else with that. Also the windshield recalibration was customer pay so I'm assuming the windshield was replaced. It does also say they front brake pads were metal on metal, rotors worn out and rear pads at 8mm. The front pads and rotors were replaced (customer pay). It also noted the tires were worn, especially the fronts and recommended to be replaced. So I would be led to believe it was driven hard. Obviously I know people who buys there are going to drive them hard (I probably will lol) but this may be one to avoid.

Last edited:

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Good call on the Toyota website. Did this and it says the tire was replaced due to hiting something but doesn't really say anything else with that. Also the windshield recalibration was customer pay so I'm assuming the windshield was replaced. It does also say they front brake pads were metal on metal, rotors worn out. The front pads and rotors were replaced (customer pay). It also noted the tires were worn, especially the fronts and recommended to be replaced. So I would be led to believe it was driven hard. Obviously I know people who buys there are going to drive them hard (I probably will lol) but this may be one to avoid.
Lol. Yeah, that would have to be a hard pass. Good luck on the search, glad to see that the owner website gave you good info.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Yea I agree with others. Pass...especially if you aren't looking for that color. Spend a couple grand more and get a new one especially if all you are trying to do is bridge the HP gap.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea I agree with others. Pass...especially if you aren't looking for that color. Spend a couple grand more and get a new one especially if all you are trying to do is bridge the HP gap.
Well honestly the color is not a huge deal. With how the market it right now, trying not the be to picky. Turbulence is my preferred but then red is next. I do like how the red looks with black wheels like the launch edition. But open to white or silver as well if its the right deal. But I feel this one has red flags all over it, maybe that's why the dealer is willing to lower the price vs other dealers I've talked to. Don't think i want to spend full MSRP on a new one either though, low 50s is my target, 2020 or 2021 at this point. Tuning isn't necessarily a huge deal but 400whp would be nice lol.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well honestly the color is not a huge deal. With how the market it right now, trying not the be to picky. Turbulence is my preferred but then red is next. I do like how the red looks with black wheels like the launch edition. But open to white or silver as well if its the right deal. But I feel this one has red flags all over it, maybe that's why the dealer is willing to lower the price vs other dealers I've talked to. Don't think i want to spend full MSRP on a new one either though, low 50s is my target, 2020 or 2021 at this point. Tuning isn't necessarily a huge deal but 400whp would be nice lol.

Well the 2021 makes quite a bit of power stock. See stock dyno numbers on a 2021 in this video.

You can find a couple grand off a 2021. Just have to find the right dealer. I have a friend in the used car business and was showing me what they're selling for at auction used and it's quite remarkable...makes MSRP seem like a deal LOL. So find the color you want and find a dealer willing to play ball.

Willow1308

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have lots of fun vechicles...
I bet if you work hard enough… you can find a new Supra at a $6000 discount…

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well the 2021 makes quite a bit of power stock. See stock dyno numbers on a 2021 in this video.

You can find a couple grand off a 2021. Just have to find the right dealer. I have a friend in the used car business and was showing me what they're selling for at auction used and it's quite remarkable...makes MSRP seem like a deal LOL. So find the color you want and find a dealer willing to play ball.
Plenty of discounted new Supra’s on Autotraders’s website…

31F79BBD-5AF9-4D5D-A287-E6143BC6CDD1.jpeg
Yeah there's some deals out there but most are about 1000+ miles away which can make it tough. Either have to spend 2+ days to go get it (flight, hotels and lost wages) or shipping costs. I got a couple for enclosed trailer that was 2500+ dollars. Either way, that eats into the deal i would be getting of course. Also makes me a little nervous buying sight unseen and just have a car just show up. I guess one way or another I'll have to compromise somewhere.

Willow1308

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have lots of fun vechicles...
There’s no sense in buying a used one if you can’t save at least $5000 from the actual selling price of a new one…

Buying a used vehicle sight unseen is a calculated gamble… especially a high performance sports car that might’ve been driven hard…

….

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Buying a new vehicle sight unseen is pretty risk free especially if you get a good transport.
Sponsored