Why you are interested in the Supra?

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
Since it's been a little quiet around here .... thought I would start a thread and see why members and guests are interested in the new Supra.

My story. In my early days ... I owned the standard Celica and the Celica Supra. I LOVED those cars. Always wanted the real Supra, but I didn't have the $. Most recently ... I've owned some German cars. The German cars were nice, but expensive to operate and mod. Enter the FR-S. I loved this little car. Just like a go-cart. What was lacking, IMO, was power and I hated the small tires. Yes ... I could have put on bigger tires and wheels, but that would have robbed some of the power. Forced induction was not an option (for me) since the car was designed for NA.

Therefore ... the new Supra has everything (hopefully) that I crave. German and Toyota DNA. Forced induction. Relatively less expensive vs. 911s, Caymans (again hopefully) where I can mod the car with a clean conscience. Larger footprint and more power.

The FT-1 concept caught me eye. Hopefully the actual product will live up to the hype.

So, what's your story?
Sponsored

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I was probably 12 at the time. My parents were going car shopping for my sister. I was wondering the dealership something nice and sliver caught my eye. At first I was like is this a Celica? Than a car salesman told me it was a Supra. I was like wow, one of these days I'm going to have one. He smiled and said you better start saving, its $25k.

So for 4 years I work any job I could. Now 16, and having saved up I started shopping. I found this local red clean title 93 TT auto with 112k on it. The seller original wanted $14k, but than went down to $12k. I told my dad; I have $8k saved up and you promised $3k for a down payment so I just need to borrow $1k. So he went to talk to my uncle about it. My uncle said Supras cost a lot to keep up with and its also pretty fast, just get the kid a Camry, and my dad agreed. I was so pissed.

So sometime went by and the F&F came out. Prices on these thing sky rocketed; it seem like I was no longer able to afford my dream car. I was on eBay one day and found this local 93 NA auto with 180k. It was in a wreck and had a rebuilt title, but it was the cheapest MK4 for sale. Just for fun I placed on it, and to my surprised I won. I went with my dad to pick it up. It was slow as hell, but it looked great. I wanted to do a GTE swap but was quoted $6k or so. All of my car buddies were like for that price you could just get a fast car. I ended up going through like 4 FDs. Back to the Supra; 11 years later I still have her. I really love Supras and I am really looking forward to seeing what a MK5 will be like.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
i love all cars & brands, and i always say if i had unlimited money i would buy one of every car out there...my pop was into cars especially from the jdms so naturally i followed that route..ive always loved japanese styling and all their quirks, and ive always appreciated their approach to engineering, especially from toyota & honda. the mk4 supra to me was the epitome of what a jdm halo car should be so naturally ive always looked forward to its successor especially after the ft1 concept. i am completely satisfied with the 86 twins but i do want something with generous power just to illogically have it on tap :innocent:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
@Supra93 ....

11 yrs? you are definitely dedicated to your Supra.
Yes sir, since May of 2006. I don't drive her that much these days. Not very practical for my line of work now. But I would never sell; we have been though to much together.

OP
OP
Sun Devil

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
i love all cars & brands, and i always say if i had unlimited money i would buy one of every car out there...my pop was into cars especially from the jdms so naturally i followed that route..ive always loved japanese styling and all their quirks, and ive always appreciated their approach to engineering, especially from toyota & honda. the mk4 supra to me was the epitome of what a jdm halo car should be so naturally ive always looked forward to its successor especially after the ft1 concept. i am completely satisfied with the 86 twins but i do want something with generous power just to illogically have it on tap :innocent:
I love that phrase.

Reactions: HKz

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
I've always had a soft spot for supras ever since FnF. I was 13 at the time when it came out and immediately started saving. Fast forward 5years, and being in Canada and having our import laws only 15years, finally found a black tt auto in my price range. Bought and drove that for a couple years, but ultimately wanted a 6speed bad, so started saving again. At the time I knew of a Top Secret widebody 6speed, which was my dream car/kit, but was way out of my range, but decided to go the bank and see about a loan just for shits and giggles, thinking I would be denied, boy was I wrong haha. So I got in contact with the seller and the next weekend I had my dream supra. Sold the black auto and single turbod the 6speed. Unfortunately had to come to terms that owning a lowered sports car where I was living wasn't the best, as the roads were crap and couldn't really drive the car and have fun with it. Ultimately ended up selling the car two years ago to have a downpayment on a house and pretty much regret it every time it's nice out and see nice cars driving. So now it's saving for the 3rd supra whether it's a mkiv or mkv, I'll have another supra one day.

Soupraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Lexus RC F | 2017 Lexus IS300 F Sport| 2006 Tundra Double Cab Limited |2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Wow.. Good Topic / Good Question...

My love for Toyota goes back to around 1976. I was like 7 years old and my dad had one of those yellow 1970 Celica GT Coupes (first generation with the red striping down the side). I thought that car was so cool! Watching him shift though the gears, thinking how I couldn't wait to drive a car like that.

Fast forward to summer 1987...I was in between my junior and senior year of high school and started working at a Toyota dealership as a lot attendant (moving/fueling/cleaning/prepping cars for delivery etc). It was an awesome job for a kid in HS with a fresh license...to be around all of those cars. The gems were the Celicas, MR2s and of course, the SUPRAs!! This was my first exposure to the Supra and started a life long dream to own one. In 1988 as a HS Senior, I was able to afford a sweet 1983 Celica GT in Silver (looked exactly like this) as my first car. It wasn't until many years later that I would be able to obtain my first Supra due to life getting in the way. In 1993 I bought a mint 1989 Supra Targa in Red (looked like this). I loved that car but had to get rid of it in 1996 when my daughter came along...(no room for car seat)! I bought my current 1992 Supra in 2004 and still have it today with only 130 k. I've always had an affinity for the MKIV but with the rise of the F&F and subsequent Supra following, the prices never came down enough for me to justify one (again...life getting in the way). The MKIII was always meant to be a (very nice) hold-over until I could get to a point where owning an MKIV made financial sense.

Well....now it looks like I may be skipping MKIV all together. After wanting one so badly for so many years, I'm excited now to see Toyota bringing back the Supra. As it happens, I'm nearing 50 and finally reaching the point in life where I can responsibly own an expensive car without jeopardizing my financial foot hold as I'm making the last push toward retirement (in another 10 years). Now I understand why I've always seen those older guys driving the awesome cars...they had to wait to get the kids through college, pay down the mortgages and secure their retirement first! In kind of a strange way, my financial trajectory (of being debt free), my turning 50 and the release of the MKV Supra are all coming together at about the same time! Coincidental convergence.....or fate?

What I've always loved about the Supra is the combination of performance, technology and comfort. They were always ahead of their time with styling and technology (until they stopped making them of course). My biggest fear now is that they somehow short change us after the long...long wait, and deliver something which fails to live up to the standard we've all come to expect from the Supra legacy. If that happens, I may find myself over at the Lexus dealership.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Really loved the FT1 concept from the start, watched all of the coverage of the concept, read every article about it, about CALTY, spent hours on this forum and its predecessor, etc. I even kept up with all of the pre-FT1 rumors dating way back to before 2000 on supraforum and whatnot.

I like many grew up idolizing the mk4 supra turbo. I remember seeing them and looking for Turbo on the back. I want to say when I was like 12, 13 they were in the high $20s, low $30s for a nice example, but then as I got through school a nice example suddenly cost more like $40k or $50k+, and a clean car was very hard to come by. By the time I could afford it, the Supra was really aging and I had moved on. But the name was always dear to my heart. :D

Unfortunately this concept has really stretched itself out, and most of the news indicates it won't really be like the concept. But I'm holding out hope that we get a car like FT1. It would be the first car I buy brand new and would be a supreme Japanese 911 alternative, ideally a great car in its own right. Time will tell.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
TBH i was more interested in a Z5 "coupe", but now it seems that the BMW will only be available as a roadster so i might be switching teams.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
TBH i was more interested in a Z5 "coupe", but now it seems that the BMW will only be available as a roadster so i might be switching teams.
That would be a cool car. They could still do it later but they didn't with the last model Z4.

Did the Z4 Coupe sell well? That's probably the answer to that.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
That would be a cool car. They could still do it later but they didn't with the last model Z4.

Did the Z4 Coupe sell well? That's probably the answer to that.
that would be awesome. one can only hope, but i dont want to be like BRZ/86 guys and keep holding out hope for more trim levels or different body styles.

the E86 did come as a coupe. this was what i found online.

Over the Z4's life cycle, 197,950 vehicles had been produced, with 180,856 roadsters and 17,094 coupés.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My story is pretty much the same as Craigy's except I was 11 yrs old when the last Supra was made in 98. Once I got my license, being on a limited budget + the Honda scene exploding that's what I became a victim of. Had several Civic's, Integra's - multiple mods + engine swaps etc. Did that for many years and ended up in the Lexus scene. Had and IS300 + IS350. Had the IS300 from 70k-205K miles. The reliability of that car left me so impressed with Toyota's build/engineering. Once the FT-1 was shown I knew this would be a car I'd have to have. But we'll see what comes to production and price point.

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pretty simple story.
1st car Toyota, RWD - fun old Corolla,loved thrashing that thing. Was simple, and cheap,and rusty but I didn't care.
Then ever since those years in the mid 90's I've been into Japanese cars - basically anything fast/sports and coupe, but Supra was always my love.
Following a love hate relationship with the Nissan GT-Rs I'm back in a simple, no frills Toyota, RWD, fun, cheap. Now looking forward to add a big brother in that garage next to my 86.
Sponsored