All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
While the exterior design is definitely polarizing and the interior has quite a few bits from the 370Z parts bin (albeit with LED panels and updated tech), I welcome the 400Z to the playground as a companion rather than adversary.

We've lost too many import sports/sporty allies -RX7/RX8, MR2, 3000GT, 240SX, Eclipse/Talon, Integra/RSX, Prelude and CRX.

It's the main reason I'm thankful to both Toyota and BMW for reintroducing the Supra.

I wish Nissan the best of luck with the 400Z.
Sponsored

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
I've had a Datsun 280 with a SBC, a 350Z, and a 370Z, but I'm no brand whore. Nissan waited too long to make even incremental changes on the Z car for me to consider the next one. But as they say, competition improves the breed, so best of luck to them. The more, the merrier!

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Iā€™ve been a Z car guy for a while, having owned two 370s. Ive stated here before that Iā€™m glad the 400Z is coming out and I could have easily been a purchaser: I am in no way a hater. Having said that, Iā€™m and surprised and disappointed with the uninspired morphology of this new iteration of the Z. Performance matters more, but that body could cure my insomnia.
I'm in the other camp. I think a lot of cars have become too busy looking and over the top. Personally, I welcome the clean and simple lines on the upcoming Z.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Anyone speak Japanese?

Select "CC", then select the gear symbol and manually change the auto-translate to Japanese-English. It's marginal translation at best but it sort of works. Unless you've already tried that in which case, disregard.

Here's what I got from it:

They briefly address something about the GTR's aero. Then Smokey Nagata is asked how or when he (got involved?) with the Z. Smokey says something about it being with the Z33 series (but I know he tuned many Z32's in the 90's so it wasn't that).

Smokey then mentions to the other man (he must be the chief engineer of the upcoming Z) that he has a very strong response to a manual transmission being showcased in the concept car and wonders if it will actually make it to production.

The chief engineer then explains that the bulk of sales, today, will be with a two-pedal (automatic or other) transmission. And then they briefly discuss how the new transmissions are ideal to keep from losing boost between gear changes in scenarios like Time Attack.

Then they both reflect on the appeal of manual transmissions and that the appeal of them and they themselves are products of the Showa Era (1926-1989 to Japanese which has been succeeded by the still current Heisei Era from 1989 onward... which is a little odd to say to me since many of these ultimate Japanese sportscar legends were technically on sale in this "current" era... but they're basically saying that the appeal of manual transmissions may be generational since they're older guys and grew up within the Showa Era).

Smokey's comments about "pulling the strings on my own" (bad translation) is back to his emphasis of the strong emotional and human connection to the machine that he gets from it. I think this may have been yet another reference to the Z Concept's 6-speed manual transmission but I'm not sure.

Then it diverts into talk about aero parts again (I think?) and then the general long nose, fender lines, etc. I think this is referring to how to balance some technical requirements or maybe just of how to blend the right combination of style ideas to get it "right". But the chief engineer half-jokes that it's not the final(?) product *yet*. I think that's what that part was.

Then Smokey presses at when he can see the real(?) thing and touch it (or drive it?). Or maybe he was happy to see and touch the prototype. It ends with the chief engineer being very appreciative of the attention that his design is getting and encourages people to come see it(?).

NOTE: I don't speak Japanese (well... I did study it once a long time ago but unfortunately despite efforts never became any good with it) and I'm doing a lot of inferring from the poor Google Translate function but I think that's mostly, VERY, VERY VAGUELY in the general ballpark of what was going on.

Anyone who *actually* is a fluent Japanese speaker, please by all means set the record straight for us especially as to the specifics of each topic!

Last edited:

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/261026

ā–  New Z follow-up! The commercial model will be released this fall and will debut next spring at the 4 million yen level !!!
The new Fairlady Z is probably the only model that car enthusiasts are looking forward to among Nissan's debut cars.

It is one that I can't wait to debut in March 2022 as a sports model that symbolizes the image of Nissan aiming for a revival.

By the way, the new Fairlady Z basically seems to have few major changes from the prototype released in September last year.

20210310_SCOOP_NISSAN_492.jpg

The front is the original S30 type, and the rear is the new Fairlady Z that gives the impression of a homage to the Z32 type. Simple and smart (image is expected CG by the best car editorial department)

The body size is 4382 total length x 1850 total width x 1310 mm total height, which is a prototype spec, but it is not much different from the current Z34 type except that the total length is extended by 120 mm.

Its relaxed and beautiful long nose style is reminiscent of the original S30 type Z.

The V6, 3L twin turbo that Skyline is equipped with is adopted for the power train that attracts attention. Depending on the grade, 304ps specifications and its high power version 405ps specifications will be given.

20210310_SCOOP_NISSAN_511.jpg

V6, 3L twin turbo is adopted at the heart. As with the Skyline, 304ps and 405ps specifications are available

And it is a big point that not only Skyline's 7-speed AT but also 3-pedal 6-speed MT is combined with the transmission.

While the GR Supra equipped with the same 3L turbo is set only for BMW's 8-speed AT, the new Fairlady Z is also properly prepared with specifications pursuing sportiness.

20210310_SCOOP_NISSAN_521.jpg

An instrument panel characterized by the presence of triple auxiliary meters. It is a driver-oriented setting

In addition, the price of the 405ps specification will be 5 to 6 million yen, but the 304ps specification can be expected to be in the 4 million yen range. A commercial vehicle will be unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show this fall.

Now that electrification is unavoidable, it may be the last chance to buy a pure gasoline sports car at this price !?

ā— "Version NISMO" is also under active development !

The new Fairlady Z is likely to have the same NISMO specifications as the current model at the time of its debut. Development is proceeding in the same way as the base model, and in addition to powering up the engine, NISMO will tune the suspension as well.

ā— Nissan New Fairlady Z
惻 Overall length Ɨ Overall width Ɨ Overall height: 4382 Ɨ 1850 Ɨ 1310mm
惻 Wheelbase
: 2550mm
惻Vehicle weight: 1280kg惻 Engine: V6, 3L + turbo
惻 Maximum output / maximum torque: 405ps / 48.4kgm
惻 Drive system: FR
惻 Estimated release date: March 2022
惻 Estimated price: 4 to 6 million yen

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
March 2022!? :eek: Oh, well, another year away...

So someone correct me if I'm wrong... But 405ps equals to roughly 400hp, right? And 48.4kgm is roughly 350lb-ft?

The Supra (3.0) is roughly 3372lbs which is heavier than the new Z's 1280kg (2822lbs), but that maybe the weight of the manual transmission model (?)

It'll be interesting to see an actual comparison. But we'll have to wait another year.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
March 2022!? :eek: Oh, well, another year away...

So someone correct me if I'm wrong... But 405ps equals to roughly 400hp, right? And 48.4kgm is roughly 350lb-ft?

The Supra (3.0) is roughly 3372lbs which is heavier than the new Z's 1280kg (2822lbs), but that maybe the weight of the manual transmission model (?)

It'll be interesting to see an actual comparison. But we'll have to wait another year.
I believe the crappy translation means to say we will see a production model by the fall of this year, but it wouldn't be in showrooms until Q1 of 2022.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
The guy taking the vids should have popped the hood. That would have been the money shot. ?

-RJM
Sponsored