All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Auto insider @Carmaker1 also said "400Z" was just made up by the media.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...-power-hp-weight-transmission-more.147/page-6

Carmaker1 said:
Well, considering that the final design was set about 31 months ago, it's not shocking in the least it "stayed true to the concept".
:D
Wasn't really a concept honestly, because everything was locked in 2 years ago and the showcase of "Z Proto" was to give an early reveal, after such a long wait (12 years). Once it's locked in, you can't make any more changes to the sheetmetal (at least until a mid-cycle update).

This ended up costing a quarter of a billion dollars, versus 4x to 8x that amount, to support an all-new RWD modular unibody architecture, which was an absolute non-starter where Infiniti was concerned. Ghosn approved this car as chairman (not CEO), before his arrest some 10 weeks later. RWD ICE Infiniti is just not likely going forward, so this being all-new wasn't going to work by itself.

It would be $100k to be an all-new car, an all new architecture. As January 2018, a new Z was cancelled.

Some of us (myself and 2 others) had mentioned back in the spring of 2018 that a fully 100% new car was dead and then by summer, it would be "heavily facelifted" on the same basis instead for MY 2021 (got delayed after September 2018) at a few hundred million. This is it pretty much, as anything after this is not ICE, just like the 2029 Mustang.

I didn't say much in terms of my annoyance towards and skepticism over "400Z" the last 3 years, but I don't know where the British media got "400Z" and why the rest of the idiotically obtuse media and social media hoes decided to automatically jump on that bandwagon, without verifying it to be credible. One or two places had the audacity to even claim, "400Z" had been trademarked by Nissan. Their proof was a "Z" insignia/logo and nothing else. They pretty much lied.

Knowing Nissan very well due to former business and also the patenting/trademarking process, that absolutely isn't how it works LOL. I checked globally and in comparing some in progress patents of mine (association w/employment, not sole inventor) to existing trademark filings, there's no existence of "400Z" in any trademark database nor internally has that ever been referred to. Seeing this car in 2019 (not yet in metal), it wasn't called that either back then. Regarding the VR30DETT 3.0L TT V6 for Infiniti, it presented a problem back in 2012. In 2011 or 2012, Nissan had filed several trademarks for 2014 G range. In addition to the trademarks "G37" and "G25" first filed in the mid-2000s (circa 2009 for "G25"), new trademarks of "G22d", "G30t", and "G35h" were filed in 2011-12 for the current car.

When Johan de Nysschen became head of Infiniti, months later by the fall of 2012, he quietly ordered a whole redo of the brand nomenclature to Q/QX to accommodate a perceived "downgrade" by ignorant consumers with G30t or M30t (3.0L TTV6) vs G37 & M37 (VQ37) or M56 (5.6L VK56 V8). Plus, reorganize it to something that resembled his time at Audi (A, S, R/RS, and Q).

Infiniti Renaming was announced in mid-December 2012, 3 weeks before the 2014 Q50 was unveiled and several months before 2014 models went on sale. Q50 was designed as the 3rd generation G37 from the onset and never was a Q50 during development.

When it came to Z, it was a similar story with 370Z vs 300Z, so dropping the displacement nomenclature makes sense. As you already know, trademarks have to be secured well before production starts. No 400Z trademarks exist, yet I seeing and hearing how a lot of YouTubers, are calling it "400Z" just for extra clicks and to drive traffic to them.

i-Force Max in example was filed well in advance of Tundra hybrid launch in early 2022. Same applies to most Nissan vehicles and pretty much most companies. Once you start formalizing a vehicle development program, after setting a final design, package plan, and defined set of parameters, marketing and management determine nomenclature/nameplate and file trademarks via their legal team some 2 to 2.5 years ahead. At latest, it's 1 year before launch (see IS 500). What I have seen here, is them take liberty with their reporting and behave lazily.

A lot of car news sites often take everything out of context or create their own muddled narratives, which the next person takes to be (wrongfully) accurate. There are days I just want to turn my brain off and when I read obviously misleading stuff, I become annoyed, because that neuro-vacation ends almost immediately and I have to start second guessing what I read and do their homework.

They need to separate opinion pieces from simply reporting the facts on what's here now and what's coming down the road. This whole attempting to be a cut-rate Jay Leno or Jeremy Clarkson, gets tiring when many of them use that to report info and often get it wrong LOL.

If I wasn't such a busy person nowadays and invested in my professional work (and personal life), I would start a media company and encyclopedia that is all about informativeness and dead on accuracy regarding automobiles, not always being first. Between Wikipedia, YouTubers/social media, and questionable news reporting, it's a clusterfuck of proportions and the rest of us have to play cleanup with their mistakes (ranging from minor to glaring).

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
7 to 8 year terms on a freaking car? WTF. I dont even like the 15 year I have on my house.
Depends on inflation. Many people feel locking into a longer loan at a low rate today is not a bad idea.

Debt is not inherently bad and can be used to your advantage. It's great if it makes sense. For me it's about the interest rate. I would consider a 7-8 year car loan depending on the interest rate? I would consider taking any loan if the interest rates were low enough where I could still make money with their money. I would definitely take a loan at 0% - 1.9%. I would just invest the money and take the risk in conservative investments. Same with a mortgage. I would consider taking a loan for as long as possible if the interest rate made sense. Or for a shorter term if the interest rates didn't sense.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Taking a loan to buy luxury goods, like a sports car, has never made sence to me.
I do not buy something until I can pay for it with my own money.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Taking a loan to buy luxury goods, like a sports car, has never made sence to me.
I do not buy something until I can pay for it with my own money.
That might not make financial sense depending on lending rates and the rate of return on your investments.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
That might not make financial sense depending on lending rates and the rate of return on your investments.
Exactly. Buying a $55k car cash to avoid paying 1% interest, while you could invest it and make money instead. I put 10k down, and the rest I'm currently up 89%. So by NOT paying the car in cash, I made 40k or so, on top of the 45k I already had. So by not paying the Supra off, I made enough money to buy a Cayman GT4. By doing nothing ;)

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
A few general thoughts on the current tangent. Someone who has 55K in cash, that they earned themselves, that can also be readily used to buy a toy is also someone who knows how to use their money.

Even a one year investment at an acceptable return will almost pay for the entire interest portion of the loan at the current interest rates. 55k sale with 10k down and 37k invested will yield nearly enough return after one year to pay the interest portion for a 72/2.99 loan.

Last thought, assuming the Z sells for around 40k to most people, it doesn't really matter if they do 7 or 8 year loans because the difference is so small assuming similar rates. However, I doubt they'll give you 3% or less on 84+ months and it'll probably be at least 3.99 or more.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
I like to be free. When in debt you are not free. Atleast not from a financial standpoint.
I have other money working for me.
That is where the Supra money came from before I put them in a car.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Exactly. Buying a $55k car cash to avoid paying 1% interest, while you could invest it and make money instead. I put 10k down, and the rest I'm currently up 89%. So by NOT paying the car in cash, I made 40k or so, on top of the 45k I already had. So by not paying the Supra off, I made enough money to buy a Cayman GT4. By doing nothing ;)
Honestly part of me wishes I would have waited and got a PDK GT4. With a NA Porsche I wouldn't have been as power hungry trying to add mods (and upset when I found out that I was limited with an unlockable 2021 ECU). The GT4 is running 0-60 3.4, Porsche really nailed it with that car. The only reason I didn't get the GT4 is because it didn't get the 911 interior refresh and man, the new Porsche infotainment / electronics are worlds ahead of the old analog gauges and screens in the 718's. I paid full cash ($70k) for my Z4 M40i, and I certainly could have done more with my money in terms of investment etc but honestly, it's a case by case basis. I have other car payments, didn't want a 3rd, so I just wrote it off. If they don't unlock this ECU by this time next year hell I'll probably wait for someone to trade in a slightly used GT3 and trade up. New GT4 is in my price range, GT3 is not.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I like to be free. When in debt you are not free. Atleast not from a financial standpoint.
I have other money working for me.
That is where the Supra money came from before I put them in a car.
I agree it's all about about financial mindset. Some people don't like the anxiety of debt. Others don't care. Some want to die broke or even in debt. lol.

I like making money with other people's money. A 0% or low interest loan on a product I was going to buy with cash anyway is a freebie. It is as long as my investments are making more than the interest rate.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Honestly part of me wishes I would have waited and got a PDK GT4. With a NA Porsche I wouldn't have been as power hungry trying to add mods (and upset when I found out that I was limited with an unlockable 2021 ECU). The GT4 is running 0-60 3.4, Porsche really nailed it with that car. The only reason I didn't get the GT4 is because it didn't get the 911 interior refresh and man, the new Porsche infotainment / electronics are worlds ahead of the old analog gauges and screens in the 718's. I paid full cash ($70k) for my Z4 M40i, and I certainly could have done more with my money in terms of investment etc but honestly, it's a case by case basis. I have other car payments, didn't want a 3rd, so I just wrote it off. If they don't unlock this ECU by this time next year hell I'll probably wait for someone to trade in a slightly used GT3 and trade up. New GT4 is in my price range, GT3 is not.
You might have dodged a bullet by not buying the GT4.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/09/porsche-4-0-718-boxster-cayman-spyder-recall/

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I adore the new GT4. Especially with the PDK. I have a 3 year lease on my Supra, if the GRMN comes here, and I can get an allocation, it'll be either that or a GT4. GT3 is out of my reach new, used it depends how they depreciate when the new GT3 RS hits the dealers. But tbh I like the Cayman more these days. The 911 is to me, the rich man's Corvette.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
On the affected vehicles, there is a possibility that connecting rods that were not manufactured according to specification are installed in the engine," Porsche's safety report said. "A potential defect in the surface of the connecting rod could lead to cracks, creating a loss of preload on the connecting rod screw connection. A loose connection while driving may cause engine damage, a stall, or an oil leak, increasing the risk of a crash or fire."
Sounds serious...
My20 owners rejoice.. :)
MY21 owners oil leak is nothing compared to this.
I'd be so pi$$ed with Porsche (AKA Voltswagon) if I had bought a 6 cylinder after the 4 cylinder debacle.

Porsche Issues Stop Sale on 2021 Cayman, Boxster, 718 Spyder
190 of the coupes have been recalled in the U.S. due to a connecting rod possibly cracking. Some of them will have their engines replaced to fix the issue.

By Colin Beresford

Apr 8, 2021
-107-1616160477.jpg?crop=0.662xw:0.559xh;0.179xw,0.jpg

• Porsche has announced a recall and stop sale for 190 of its 2021 Cayman (pictured above), Boxster, and 718 Spyder models due to the risk of the connecting rod cracking.
  • The affected models, which include the 2021 Cayman GT4, the 718 Spyder, the Cayman GTS 4.0, and the Boxster GTS 4.0, may need their engines replaced to remedy the recall.
  • Porsche said that 20 of these vehicles have been delivered, all of which will receive new engines.
Porsche is recalling 190 of its 2021 Cayman, Boxster, and 718 Spyder models with flat-six engines over a connecting rod that can crack and lead to engine damage, stalling, and potentially a fire. The German automaker has also issued a "stop sale" order on the coupes, a spokesperson for Porsche told Car and Driver.

Of the 190 affected vehicles, which include the 2021 Cayman GT4, the 718 Spyder, the Cayman GTS 4.0, and the Boxster GTS 4.0, 20 were delivered to buyers. The spokesperson said that all 20 of those vehicles will have their engines replaced, while the other vehicles—including those already purchased but not yet delivered due to the stop sale—will be evaluated to determine whether an engine replacement is necessary.

Porsche is unaware of any problems resulting from the faulty connecting rod and also said that all owners who have taken delivery of the vehicles have been notified of the recall. According to documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Porsche first became aware of the recall on March 8.

The Porsche spokesperson declined to specify the delivery delay for those who have not yet received their vehicles, but on an online Porsche forum, Rennlist.com, one purchaser of the 718 Cayman GT4 posted a letter from a dealer saying that delivery would be delayed by three to six months to remedy the problem properly. Owners can check the NHTSA recalls website to find out if their vehicle is affected.
Sponsored