All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
IMO the Z will be a rebadge RWD Q60 on a diet.

Nissan are broke as shit and I’m pretty sure they will not invest a dollar for new components for the Z. Is it bad? No, but it will not be revolutionnary, like the looks from the rendering.

Hope that Nissan sorted quality issues also because the last 2 Nissan I’ve owned (2014 Pathfinder Platinum and a 2016 Infiniti Q50S awd) were trouble on 4 wheels.

Anyway more sports car offerings can’t be bad, we get more choice and we can debate about it!
Sponsored

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://www.carmag.co.za/news/nissan-400z-toyota-says-its-not-fearful-of-competition-for-supra/

Nissan 400Z? Toyota says it's 'not fearful' of competition for Supra...

A high-ranking Toyota executive in Australia says the company is “not fearful of competition” for its Supra, with Nissan currently developing a replacement for the 370Z.

In May 2020, Nissan has released a teaser video giving us our first glimpse of the upcoming replacement for the 370Z sportscar. Expected to be called the 400Z, the newcomer looks set to be positioned as a rival to the GR Supra.

“We’re not fearful of competition,” Sean Hanley, Toyota Australia sales and marketing boss, told motoring.com.au. “I would welcome competition particularly in this space. There’s nothing like good rivalry to keep interest in the segment.

“We think a healthy competitive environment drives us and inspires us to great things. Are we confident about Supra? Yes we are,” he added.

In February 2020, Toyota South Africa Motors confirmed the GR Supra was in line for a power upgrade, with the updated model on the cards for a local introduction.

As revealed by the Japanese firm’s North American arm, the GR Supra’s BMW-sourced 3,0-litre straight six will be boosted from the current 250 kW to 285 kW (that’s a full 35 kW or 14 percent more). The higher-output version is expected to be “introduced as a running change” pending fuel quality approval.

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
Just give manual to the Supra, so manual 400Z will be less appealing.
I couldn’t agree more - I mean that is the one thing that is preventing me from really pursuing getting a Supra. I have driven nothing but manual since I can remember - and the idea of switching over to an auto (unless it’s a GTR) just seems wrong on so many levels HAHA. The thing I don’t understand is if the M2 has a manual - why can’t they slap a manual on it - is this something that Toyota and BMW worked out to prevent too many shoppers going from BMW to Toyota since the Supra is basically a BMW engine with a different tune/and exterior look and feel. I believe there is rumors that there will be a manual eventually but who knows.

Overall the more competition the better for everyone - so hoping the 400z is a huge success and maybe that will push Mazda to release a revised RX7 and it will be the 90s all over again ;)

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I couldn’t agree more - I mean that is the one thing that is preventing me from really pursuing getting a Supra. I have driven nothing but manual since I can remember - and the idea of switching over to an auto (unless it’s a GTR) just seems wrong on so many levels HAHA. The thing I don’t understand is if the M2 has a manual - why can’t they slap a manual on it - is this something that Toyota and BMW worked out to prevent too many shoppers going from BMW to Toyota since the Supra is basically a BMW engine with a different tune/and exterior look and feel. I believe there is rumors that there will be a manual eventually but who knows.

Overall the more competition the better for everyone - so hoping the 400z is a huge success and maybe that will push Mazda to release a revised RX7 and it will be the 90s all over again ;)
Have you driven a new A90 yet?

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l

I drive manual 86 now, before manual BMW. I was thinking same like U no manual = its not an option. Then I went and drove one and man the car is good. It needs some tweaks to my personal preference like eliminating body roll through suspension mods but overall I find the car great, despite its flaws (which Supra has too, like all cars). But imo the auto 8ZF is not the -. That gearbox is seriosuly good, if fact I find it so well suited to the cars character it maybe the better choise. I'm waiting to see if manual is comming next year or not. If it isnt, imo not a big deal, I go for auto. Its not a PDK, coz that its on its own level among Ferraris, but trust me this 8ZF it is great. And honestly if I had to chose manual or drop-top version as the one to add to the Supra lineup, I'd go with the roof down.
Go to the dealer and drive one, see for yourself how U like it. Imo this car has bigger "problems" than lack of manual (thay may come next year).

As for the 400Z... Problem is its again, a redesign. 350->370->400Z, same platform since 20 years. Also I dont dig the styling at the moment, I think 370 looked better and Supra it in another league. I dont like tonned down sports cars, like Germans do with their AMGs and M's. I want it to be loud and eye catching. Also, Nissan engines are not as good as BMW's, - GTR engine which that car wont have probably unless some highest trim. IT will be priced nicely for sure but...
I wish Honda did new low mass S2ooo with Type-R engine :D

PS. Toyota pls give drop top ver. (yeye I know Z4 exists and it wont happen)

toyota-supra-cabriolet-double-emploi-avec-le-z4_MD_0.jpg

Last edited:

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
I drive manual 86 now, before manual BMW. I was thinking same like U no manual = its not an option. Then I went and drove one and man the car is good. It needs some tweaks to my personal preference like eliminating body roll through suspension mods but overall I find the car great, despite its flaws (which Supra has too, like all cars). But imo the auto 8ZF is not the -. That gearbox is seriosuly good, if fact I find it so well suited to the cars character it maybe the better choise. I'm waiting to see if manual is comming next year or not. If it isnt, imo not a big deal, I go for auto. Its not a PDK, coz that its on its own level among Ferraris, but trust me this 8ZF it is great. And honestly if I had to chose manual or drop-top version as the one to add to the Supra lineup, I'd go with the roof down.
Go to the dealer and drive one, see for yourself how U like it. Imo this car has bigger "problems" than lack of manual (thay may come next year).

As for the 400Z... Problem is its again, a redesign. 350->370->400Z, same platform since 20 years. Also I dont dig the styling at the moment, I think 370 looked better and Supra it in another league. I dont like tonned down sports cars, like Germans do with their AMGs and M's. I want it to be loud and eye catching. Also, Nissan engines are not as good as BMW's, - GTR engine which that car wont have probably unless some highest trim. IT will be priced nicely for sure but...
I wish Honda did new low mass S2ooo with Type-R engine :D

toyota-supra-cabriolet-double-emploi-avec-le-z4_MD_0.jpg
I get it - and you’re right about needing to go in at least for a test drive and see how it compares to my current ride. Watching FourBrosSpeed channel on YT - the tuning potential of these cars are really nice and its amazing the power gains he saw from an intake and down pipe.I notice that you have a 86 in your picture - do you use that as the ‘daily’ and the Supra as the weekend car? Right now my plan is to payoff the current ride and then look to either add a daily (and boost the Z) or to go ahead and either wait for the new Z or go with a Supra. Regardless of what I do - I do want to keep the Z for that manual feel - so if I go that route - then a Supra with a ZF trans might be a good route to go. Thanks for sharing man. :)

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
Have you driven a new A90 yet?
I have not - like I mentioned to Islindur’s post - looks like I need to go in and take a look. Right now - its a combination of wanting to be out of debt with the current ride (always the struggle of being a car enthusiast haha) and then look to start saving to go toward either a daily and boost the Z or check out a different platform altogether.
If I go another platform then bc of the value that the Supra offers - it is high on the list; and if I go with another coupe/2 seater - then I’ll probably sell the Z as well. Needless to say also on that list is the Civic Type R so those are the 2 cars I am looking at (hence why I am on this forum to find out more about the Supra). I always feel that once I am ready to buy - then that is when I go look to test drive cars - bc typically soon after I am trading in the current ride for a new one. :)

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I get it - and you’re right about needing to go in at least for a test drive and see how it compares to my current ride. Watching FourBrosSpeed channel on YT - the tuning potential of these cars are really nice and its amazing the power gains he saw from an intake and down pipe.I notice that you have a 86 in your picture - do you use that as the ‘daily’ and the Supra as the weekend car? Right now my plan is to payoff the current ride and then look to either add a daily (and boost the Z) or to go ahead and either wait for the new Z or go with a Supra. Regardless of what I do - I do want to keep the Z for that manual feel - so if I go that route - then a Supra with a ZF trans might be a good route to go. Thanks for sharing man. :)
Tuning Supra to 450-500hp is quite easy ;)
I had Supra for some time to see how it is. And I use 86 daily - 222hp/245nm, 0-60 in around 5.8s ;)
As a daily Supra is just awesome, auto is super smooth in normal mode, car is comfortable. Biggest - imo is visiblity, its really bad. And for longer trips? Pleasure to drive, seats are so nice. If I had both I'd daily Supra and weekend 86, coz its more mechanical and much more raw in feel.
I was convinced to get 2.0 Supra and pref manual but I just looked on the used market for 3.0 here and if it goes at the same pace... 2019's 3.0 will go down in price to 2.0 pricing here next year so I may end up in 3.0 after all :D Still, I plan to "fix" the "issuess" I have with MKV and then leave it for some nice long years ;)
BTW, I was looking at 370z before I got GT86. I'd do N/A build Z - exhaust, header, shorter gear, good LSD instead of that stock crap and tune this, MAYBE stroker kit to 4.0. That would be beastly setup too ;) Ofc depends what U look for in a car. I'd hold off with mods till new Z if U are interested. It should be less than 1 year away, keep the cash and then decide. Better like that than regret afterwards ;)
Go drive a Supra, there is no other way around it. Maybe U'll love it, maybe some features will put U off imediately, needa see for yourself ;)

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
Tuning Supra to 450-500hp is quite easy ;)
I had Supra for some time to see how it is. And I use 86 daily - 222hp/245nm, 0-60 in around 5.8s ;)
As a daily Supra is just awesome, auto is super smooth in normal mode, car is comfortable. Biggest - imo is visiblity, its really bad. And for longer trips? Pleasure to drive, seats are so nice. If I had both I'd daily Supra and weekend 86, coz its more mechanical and much more raw in feel.
I was convinced to get 2.0 Supra and pref manual but I just looked on the used market for 3.0 here and if it goes at the same pace... 2019's 3.0 will go down in price to 2.0 pricing here next year so I may end up in 3.0 after all :D Still, I plan to "fix" the "issuess" I have with MKV and then leave it for some nice long years ;)
BTW, I was looking at 370z before I got GT86. I'd do N/A build Z - exhaust, header, shorter gear, good LSD instead of that stock crap and tune this, MAYBE stroker kit to 4.0. That would be beastly setup too ;) Ofc depends what U look for in a car. I'd hold off with mods till new Z if U are interested. It should be less than 1 year away, keep the cash and then decide. Better like that than regret afterwards ;)
Go drive a Supra, there is no other way around it. Maybe U'll love it, maybe some features will put U off imediately, needa see for yourself ;)
Thanks again for the advice. And yeah, I think I do need to go check out the Supra.Like I mentioned I in a previous post - i think the 2 vehicles that are on the top of my list are a Civic Type R - for the hatchback and having 4 seats. And I figure if i go with that - it will be a vehicle that you keep for long term to have as a daily. The other vehicle is the Supra since I do like my 2 door/2 seaters that offer a lot of performance and looks. A distant 3rd would be a Ford GT350 but I feel that one vehicle would require a daily as well bc of the horrible MPG (not that should be something to focus on when it comes to sports cars but....if a daily - would get old filling up every 3days).
As for the Z setup - yeah I agree - I think going FBO is the smarter move when thinking of cost and reliability than going boost. It’s one of those things where if I go with a car that has a turbo - it would be best to just start off with a vehicle that is already setup with a turbo. As for holding off on modding till the new Z comes out. That is something I am trying to do; I will say this - if i wind up testing a Supra anytime soon - that might change my mind as well - if I love the Supra then I could see myself holding off on mods altogether and saving to get one and that would also allow for the new Z to come out to go and check that out as well. Worse case - I test drive the Supra and it’s not for me - then I look to do a NA build or small mods while waiting on the new Z.
Thanks again man - much appreciated and looking to be more active and finding out more about the Supra from this forum. :)