All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I think it's waayyy too early to say if the new 400z Proto is better than the MKV. But, for now the public opinion around the reveal is far more positive than when the MKV was revealing.
True.

I think a lot of disappointment came from the obviously necessary alterations to the FT1 concept. The Proto Z is way closer to production than the MKV was when it was first introduced.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I think it's waayyy too early to say if the new 400z Proto is better than the MKV. But, for now the public opinion around the reveal is far more positive than when the MKV was revealing.
First impressions are key, which is something I do not think Toyota did well for this car

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
The issue with the Supra was Calty and the joint project team were not on the same page. The design team was hoping the FT1 would be approved on the Lexus LC chassis and I believe they were unware of the Toyota/BMW joint project and vice versa. It was only when the FT1 was met with so much positive reaction that Toyota needed to find a way to incorporate it's styling cues over a Z4 chassis.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
True.

I think a lot of disappointment came from the obviously necessary alterations to the FT1 concept. The Proto Z is way closer to production than the MKV was when it was first introduced.
Agreed, I think on paper it made sense to try to make a smaller version of the FT1 concept, until it was seen in person. I still think the MKV looks better, but I'm beginning to warm up to the 400z's more simple look, in comparison. The MKV sometimes looks like someone just went crazy with the cuts and lines, then they had to add fake vents to fill in the gaps. The fake door vent makes absolutely no sense, and they say it could be made functional? How Sway?

First impressions are key, which is something I do not think Toyota did well for this car
True. In a small way, Toyota paved the ground work on what not to do when resurrecting a fan favorite lol

To be fair, I think expectations for 400z might be alittle too high for what current Nissan can accomplish. But, we'll see.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
The issue with the Supra was Calty and the joint project team were not on the same page. The design team was hoping the FT1 would be approved on the Lexus LC chassis and I believe they were unware of the Toyota/BMW joint project and vice versa. It was only when the FT1 was met with so much positive reaction that Toyota needed to find a way to incorporate it's styling cues over a Z4 chassis.
Hold on though, the VP of Toyota told Tada to fly to GER and meet with BMW back in 2012 and the FT-1 was unveiled in 2014. Calty is responsible for a lot of designs so I doubt there was any miscommunication between both parties.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
PicsArt_09-21-12.43.31.jpg

Imagine the reactions if Nissan put fake vents on the production car?

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Hold on though, the VP of Toyota told Tada to fly to GER and meet with BMW back in 2012 and the FT-1 was unveiled in 2014. Calty is responsible for a lot of designs so I doubt there was any miscommunication between both parties.
I'm just going by the latest interview with Kevin Hunter where he said they were hoping that FT1 would be built on the LC. While that maybe all true, A70TTR has told us projects are compartmentalize. I believe to prevent leaks and such.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/how-the-supra-chief-designer-shaped-toyota’s-new-sports-car.1565/page-7

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Something tells me Nissan may have put provisions in place for those wanting an inline-six swap. The way the front end slopes and based on radiator sizes for the VR's....the radiator core support may be designed to hold a radiator at an angle. If this is the case, and considering the height of the VR motor, an RB may sit pretty comfortably in that engine bay. That would be incredible!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
GTR brakes? Mmmmmm....that sounds like a pricey option on the NISMO’s. If it comes standard with those brakes in all trims, then, DAMN NISSAN! Kudos! :cool:
Sponsored