Where do you think the BMW/Toyota car will be built at?

• Japan

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Europe

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • US

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptorman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F150
Other than the obvious Supra, what other cars could the FT-1 underpin for Toyota/Lexus?
Sponsored

MATT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 ACCORD
My guess is the FT1 could underpin the Lexus RC

Dimensions are very similar:

FT1
Wheelbase: 107.9 in
Length: 184.1 in

Width: 77.6 in
Height: 48.2 in

Lexus RC
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 184.8 in

Width: 72.4 in
Height: 54.9 in

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
A sub-86 sports coupe is coming I'm sure. It could share platforms or borrow heavily from it.

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
It hasnt been confirmed yet that the FT-1 is a representation of the jointly developed platform between Toyota and BMW.

Has me wondering what if anything BMW has in the works , any guesses?

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
im not fully up on all the rumors but has it been confirmed at all that they are working on a joint platform and not just powertrain for ex?

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Yes it has..

Here is what a BMW board member (Herb Diess) said recently:

He declines to confirm if the Toyota FT-1, displayed in Detroit, is an early version of a future sports-car architecture to be shared with BMW.

“We are working on that. We are making progress,” Diess says of the joint project with Toyota. “It’s a complex task. We need to decide which cars would they be and when they would launch. We think it makes sense for both companies, but it is a car architecture that has to suit both companies. I think we will have a final decision in a few months.”

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
They would be stupid to jointly develop it for any other car. There's a reason they named it FT-ONE.

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
Yes it has..

Here is what a BMW board member (Herb Diess) said recently:

He declines to confirm if the Toyota FT-1, displayed in Detroit, is an early version of a future sports-car architecture to be shared with BMW.

“We are working on that. We are making progress,” Diess says of the joint project with Toyota. “It’s a complex task. We need to decide which cars would they be and when they would launch. We think it makes sense for both companies, but it is a car architecture that has to suit both companies. I think we will have a final decision in a few months.”
They would be stupid to jointly develop it for any other car. There's a reason they named it FT-ONE.
Yea that's just a corporate guy being coy. The FT1 just happened to pop up soon after this whole joint project thing was announced. Coincidence I think not ;)

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
This is what a lot of us are already expecting but just to add more to the pile of "proof" -according to this Nikkei Asian Review report the next Supra and next BMW Z4 will share platforms.

Toyota Supra, BMW Z4 sports cars to share platform
TAKAYUKI KATO, Nikkei staff writer

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Toyota Motor and BMW will develop a common platform for two sports car models that will become the first products to come out of a comprehensive tie-up the two inked in January 2013.

The automakers will use the same platform as early as 2017 for the BMW Z4 and a planned revival of the Toyota Supra, a model popular in the 1980s and 1990s. The vehicles will have different body designs and be sold under their respective brands.

The current Z4 is a two-seater with 2- and 3-liter engine options. The highest-performance model can go from zero to 100kph in 4.8 seconds.

The Supra was sold from 1978 to 2002, chiefly in Japan and the U.S. It is no longer in production, but its strong fan base sparked the decision for a rerelease.

The partners also plan to discuss joint manufacturing and parts procurement. BMW is a leader in building cars with lightweight carbon fiber bodies, but the technology is expensive, leading many to focus on whether Toyota will adopt it.

Toyota's tie-up with BMW is aimed at making use of the German carmaker's luxury-vehicle expertise while lowering costs. The companies have worked together on developing fuel cell vehicles and other projects.

Source

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
I think this partnership will be good for Toyota. They are in need for a lighter platform to underpin not just the Supra but the next generation FRS. I'm sure the platform will need to be able to be scaled down, the BMW could build the Z4 and Z2 off of it possibly?

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
The FT1 and Z4 are going to be nowhere near the same dimensions. The platform has to be modular.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX

A Toyota test driver while out on the track for some RC-F versus M4 event just told a Lexus employee that the FT-1 will be using a BMW chassis.

"Just coming back from the Lexus event... Have verbal confirmation from a Lexus proto test driver that it will be built, BMW chassis

Have video confirmation from rcf hot lap, data is sketchy out here will post later along with thoughts

BTW... That m4 trans is amazing.. Just saying"

pbj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Kia
I actually hope it's true. BMW has a lot of experience with CF and light weighting.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
Could this mean that Toyota will be using their own engine and only thing shared with BMW will be chassis? :yes:

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Interesting this was from a RC-F and M4 event. Anyone else thinking this could be some kind of joint study that might indirectly relate to the FT-1?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.