Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
You mean a 1.6L turbo? That's what the GR Yaris has.

I'm also hoping the GR Corolla will receive the 'high spec' LSD package (front, center, rear diff). My expectation for this isn't very high because there's really no other competitor that offers that under 40k. The STI may be the only one.

My guess is that the GR Corolla will just get the center differential and use front/rear brakes to control slip.

@A70TTR, do you have any new info?
For the NA engine I misspoke. I meant the 1.5L I-3 NA w/CVT FWD in the JDM GR Yaris RS.

Yes, the 1.6L I-3 is the turbocharged variant with 6MT and AWD in the JDM GR Yaris RZ and Euro GR Yaris.

I am also hopeful for the dual Torsen LSD track package making its way to the North American GR Corolla.

Would love to hear any thoughts A70 has on this but he hasnā€™t been active for some time.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It looks like itā€™ll be called the Corolla Sport GRMN according to the latest rumors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...5/29/toyota-corolla-sport-grmn-hot-hatch-awd/

I wonder if this will be even more track focused than the GR Supra since the GRMN is above the GR name.
Hmm.... so far so good with the same 1.6L turbo but not installing the same 4WD system and dual LSDs of the GR Yaris would not be good enough.

Not with a 25 year wait for the JDM model to be eligible for import.

Hopefully the entire GR Yaris 4WD system, big brakes, three mode selector, twin LSDs and manual transmission will be adapted.

If Toyota doesnā€™t I see transmission, differentials, custom axles and other hardware being project swaps in the USA.

If we get every driveline part except for the dual Torsens then it should be possible to order those LSDs and install them ourselves.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Doesnā€™t look like thereā€™s even a rumored estimated release date either. Before the pandemic, it seemed to be a 2021 model year, but now everything might be pushed back. I wonder if itā€™s more likely a 2022 model year, so mid/late 2021 calendar year release.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Hmm.... so far so good with the same 1.6L turbo but not installing the same 4WD system and dual LSDs of the GR Yaris would not be good enough.

Not with a 25 year wait for the JDM model to be eligible for import.

Hopefully the entire GR Yaris 4WD system, big brakes, three mode selector, twin LSDs and manual transmission will be adapted.

If Toyota doesnā€™t I see transmission, differentials, custom axles and other hardware being project swaps in the USA.

If we get every driveline part except for the dual Torsens then it should be possible to order those LSDs and install them ourselves.
Dual LSDs could be optional the same way they are in the Yaris I would guess. As for swaps, not sure how likely, as if i recall correctly, the 1.6 is hand assembled, not sure what the production capacity is like and if it is gonna make its way to multiple platforms (Corolla, CH-R) who knows that the numbers would be like. Same for the drivetrain if Toyota doesn't install it into high quantities of vehicles.

They only ever needed to build 25k Yarii (Yarises?!?), but I'd assume a) they'd build as many as they can sell and b) since the car isn't racing in Rally 1, they no longer need to meet this requirement. Not sure if Rally 2 has the same homologation rules.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
I think if Toyota is going to give the Corolla the "GRMN" badging, it should get the dual LSDs.

I think GRMN Corolla will slot in between the WRX and STI. It'll also sit slightly above the Veloster N but under the Civic Type R.

As mentioned by many people already, they can just take the current Corolla body and give it the GR Yaris with Dual LSDs and I'll be happy with that.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
I think if Toyota is going to give the Corolla the "GRMN" badging, it should get the dual LSDs.

I think GRMN Corolla will slot in between the WRX and STI. It'll also sit slightly above the Veloster N but under the Civic Type R.

As mentioned by many people already, they can just take the current Corolla body and give it the GR Yaris with Dual LSDs and I'll be happy with that.
GRMN cars are very limited and very expensive. I think most people waiting on/looking forward to a version of the corolla that's analogous with the yaris would be disappointed in only a GRMN version, but yes, a GRMN car would undoubtedly have front and rear (at least) Torsen LSDs.

No GRMN car is sitting "under" any Type R or STi anything (save maybe for something like and S209).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I really wish Toyota were committing to a GR Corolla with all this hardware rather than keeping it very limited by calling it a ā€œSport GRMNā€. Especially since the hardware all comes from a bona fide regular production ā€œGRā€ rather than ā€œGRMNā€ model.

But as long as the USA actually gets it thatā€™s fine. It just suggests we may only get them in S209-like quantities and at ridiculous markup given that.

Hereā€™s hoping there will be more than 200 or so per year in North America.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
GRMN cars are very limited and very expensive. I think most people waiting on/looking forward to a version of the corolla that's analogous with the yaris would be disappointed in only a GRMN version, but yes, a GRMN car would undoubtedly have front and rear (at least) Torsen LSDs.

No GRMN car is sitting "under" any Type R or STi anything (save maybe for something like and S209).
That's why I was confused about the rumor I linked to a few post back about Toyota calling this the Corolla Sport GRMN.

This slots between the previously mentioned cars in terms of price. Assuming this is actually 30k.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
I really wish Toyota were committing to a GR Corolla with all this hardware rather than keeping it very limited by calling it a ā€œSport GRMNā€. Especially since the hardware all comes from a bona fide regular production ā€œGRā€ rather than ā€œGRMNā€ model.

But as long as the USA actually gets it thatā€™s fine. It just suggests we may only get them in S209-like quantities and at ridiculous markup given that.

Hereā€™s hoping there will be more than 200 or so per year in North America.
I can't imagine it being a real GRMN if the asking price is only 30k. I think something was lost in translation or this isn't a true GRMN car.

I think it's also possible that Toyota offers this Corolla in automatic if they want to sell more, e.g., 86/BRZ.

If this is truly limited, dealers will be marking this 10k above sticker.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can't imagine it being a real GRMN if the asking price is only 30k. I think something was lost in translation or this isn't a true GRMN car.

I think it's also possible that Toyota offers this Corolla in automatic if they want to sell more, e.g., 86/BRZ.

If this is truly limited, dealers will be marking this 10k above sticker.
If the GR Corolla comes in automatic only even with this driveline then my interest will be gone. If the GR Yaris offers its trick 4WD system, turbo engine, 6-speed manual and two LSDs then Toyota can offer all the same hardware in the Corolla.

Itā€™s already annoying enough that there is no chance the GR Yaris chassis will never be sold in NA.

I agree that a $30k GRMN doesnā€™t seem likely. I am hoping it will be a regular production GR performance model. The power to weight ratio will be less compared to the GR Yaris if the driveline is left mostly the same but it will still be a fun and powerful 4WD rally Corolla... with a stick-shift.

I can see such a combination making much more sense as a ā€œGRā€ rather than ā€œGRMNā€.

Now if Toyota wants to offer an additional higher performance variant on top of that and call it a GRMN then that sounds just fine to me so long as the existing GR Yarisā€™ entire driveline makes it over unchanged in a volume GR Corolla 6MT 4WD (with LSDs).

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
These GR Yaris videos keep popping up on my Youtube feed and it's getting pretty annoying lol.

Current Corolla hatchback curb weight is 3060 lbs. Assuming they put the GR Yaris drivetrain with dual LSDs, I can see it jumping to 3200 lbs. For comparison, the Civic Type R is 31xx lbs.

The Corolla will be on the plumply side considering it has a smaller hatch compared to the Civic. I hope it stays at 3000 lbs, but I'm not going to bet on that.

Hopefully there will be some good engine tuning solutions to help offset that extra weight.

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
Here is the official English presentation of the car. This is almost 30 minutes long but has a lot of interesting details and information.

OP
OP
SS09ER

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
Really good presentation,so much details about the car and how WRC dna is all over!!

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Wonder how much of this ā€œreverse engineeringā€ is just marketing hype. I tend to take these marketing videos with a grain of salt.

The dual injection, intake tumble, integrated exhaust manifold arenā€™t new technologies.

Anyone know why Toyota calls this 4wd instead of AWD? 4wd tends to be used in 4Runners, Tacoma, etc. AWD is more of your standard modern all wheel drive system.

Will be interesting to see if Toyota still campaigns with the Yaris name in the WRC or switch to the Corolla.

Either way, I hope Toyota does the GR name justice with the US GR Corolla (same engine, drivetrain, etc).
Sponsored