First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
The Circuit pack has forged BBS 18 x 8 wheels with 225/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S & Convenience pack has cast 18 x 8 wheels with DUNLOP SP SPORT MAXX 050 (225/40R18)

Big difference, most likely heavier as well

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Anyone disappointed that the GR Corolla will only be half as good as the GR Yaris just based on weight alone?

Itā€™s safe to assume power output will be the same at about 260HP.

The GR Yaris is 2,8xx lbs. The Corolla hatchback is 3,0xx lbs. Even if the Gr Corolla doesnā€™t gain any weight, which I doubt, itā€™ll still be almost 200 lbs heavier.

The more I think about this, the more Iā€™m beginning to write off this car. The GR Corolla is looking more and more like a Subaru WRX to me. If the US only receives front and rear open diffs, then I almost donā€™t see this car being that different than the WRX.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The circuit pack has stickier tires? Do you know which tires both models have?
The Circuit pack has forged BBS 18 x 8 wheels with 225/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S & Convenience pack has cast 18 x 8 wheels with DUNLOP SP SPORT MAXX 050 (225/40R18)

Big difference, most likely heavier as well
What he^ Said.

Anyone disappointed that the GR Corolla will only be half as good as the GR Yaris just based on weight alone?

Itā€™s safe to assume power output will be the same at about 260HP.

The GR Yaris is 2,8xx lbs. The Corolla hatchback is 3,0xx lbs. Even if the Gr Corolla doesnā€™t gain any weight, which I doubt, itā€™ll still be almost 200 lbs heavier.

The more I think about this, the more Iā€™m beginning to write off this car. The GR Corolla is looking more and more like a Subaru WRX to me. If the US only receives front and rear open diffs, then I almost donā€™t see this car being that different than the WRX.
You are making some massive and unfair assumptions here, but I guess negativity is the in thing these days.

Anyway, we can import the GR Yaris here so not something for me to worry about. LOL

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
2020's best hot hatches: which is the fastest of all?
Break out the test gear, it's time to find out how quickly they go
tg_olliemarriage.png

Ollie Marriage
30 Dec 2020

Hot hatches rock our world. Especially when theyā€™re tough little nuggets like the new Toyota GR Yaris. As I hope youā€™ve already seen, it beat all its rivals to be crowned our champion hot hatch. If not, click these words.
But here the GR Yaris does not finish in first place. Because here weā€™re not deciding which is the best hot hatch, but something much simpler: which is the fastest.
While we had our seven contenders down at Dunsfold we put them all down ā€“ and up ā€“ the quarter mile, and averaged the each direction runs out. One thing to note though. The GR Yaris turned out to be a much better sprinter than Toyota claims. Much.
Here, counting down from last to first, is how they got on.

DSC00036.JPG
dsc00036.jpg

7: Ford Fiesta ST Edition
0-60mph: 6.27secs
0-100mph: 15.70secs
Quarter mile: 14.84s @ 97.5mph
100-0mph: 4.27secs/89.16m
The slowest of our seven yes, but by no means a slug. This new Edition version of the Fiesta ST was 0.3secs faster from 0-60mph than the standard car, yet its 1.5-litre turbocharged triple has no more power (itā€™s still 197bhp and 214lb ft). Some of that improvement will have to do with conditions on the day, but some also comes from the fact that the stiffer springs of the Edition help reduce rearward weight transfer ā€“ vital for getting a front-drive hot hatch off the line fast.
But to put the Fiesta in context, itā€™s rapid enough to mostly keep pace up to 60mph, but above that the others pull away. For evidence look how long it took to get from 60mph to 100 ā€“ 9.43secs, when the next slowest, the Golf GTI dispatched that in 7.60secs. It doesnā€™t feel that much slower, though and thatā€™s whatā€™s actually important. The Fiesta is an eager, tenacious machine with a big heart.
Itā€™s also got stronger brakes than the next two cars that nudged ahead of it. But then the 1,255kg Fiesta was also the lightest car here.

DSC09087.JPG
dsc09087.jpg

6: VW Golf GTI
0-60mph: 5.66secs
0-100mph: 13.26secs
Quarter mile: 14.16s @ 103.6mph
100-0mph: 4.36secs/89.94m
A strong performance for a regular Golf GTI ā€“ and much, much faster than Volkswagenā€™s 6.3-to-62mph claim. Traction is the key here, and not easily found. Feed the power in just right and you can get quick times.
But look how little separates the three similarly-sized front drivers. Theyā€™re covered by a 0.2sec bracket, with this the slowest, the Hyundai i30N the quickest and the Civic in the middle, even though thereā€™s over 70bhp between least and most powerful. To 60mph power isnā€™t nearly as important as traction.
And a DSG gearbox. That saves you well over half a second to 60mph as well. A manual Golf GTI would be doing well to hit 60mph in 6.3secs.
5: Hyundai i30N
0-60mph: 5.47secs
0-100mph: 12.64secs
Quarter mile: 14.02s @ 105.4mph
100-0mph: 4.36secs/90.11m
Letā€™s start with the stopping, if only because both the i30N and Golf GTI took precisely the same time to stop, to the nearest hundredth of a second. Hyundai lost out, travelling an additional 17cm. Nicer brakes to use though, and much less dive.
Broadly speaking the same weight as the Golf GTI (both around 1450kg), the facelifted i30 put its extra 34bhp to good use, pulling out a 0.7secs lead by 100mph and going through the quarter mile barrier about 0.2secs ahead and travelling about 2mph faster. Small margins, but in a drag race they feel bigger.

DSC00637.JPG
dsc00637.jpg

4: Honda Civic Type R
0-60mph: 5.55secs
0-100mph: 11.52secs
Quarter mile: 13.90s @ 111.1mph
100-0mph: 4.05secs/85.57m
The Civic is a very fast car. The fastest front driver here. Which of course means it was never going to match the 4WD stuff off the line. But a 60-100mph time of 5.97secs is faster than everything bar the A45 ā€“ and doubly impressive when you remember you have to send a gearlever around a gate in the Type R.
What a ā€˜box this is though ā€“ I canā€™t think of a sweeter, faster shifting manual. And if you needed any further persuasion, itā€™s worth noting the S3 was half a second slower from 60-100mph and 2mph slower exiting the quarter. It got through there faster thanks to its initial advantage, but after that both it ā€“ and the GR Yaris ā€“ had to bow down to the Civicā€™s 233bhp/tonne power to weight ratio.
Thatā€™s an interesting stat actually. Before we drove it we poked fun at the GR Yarisā€™ 257bhp, but with a kerbweight of 1,280kg it has a better ratio (201bhp/tonne) than the 306bhp Audi S3 (194bhp).
Back to the Civic. Because this one is the Limited Edition, of which only 20 are coming to the UK, it comes with Michelin Cup 2 track day tyres. Now they donā€™t make a huge difference in a straight line, but they possibly help initial traction a little, and stopping distance more.
I suspect that even on regular tyres the Type R would still have had the best brakes here ā€“ itā€™s ability to stop a car length shorter than most rivals may not sound like much when youā€™re travelling around 20 car lengths while stopping from 100mph, but inside you do notice its control and bite as you slow.

DSC01735.JPG
dsc01735.jpg

3: Toyota GR Yaris
0-60mph: 4.64secs
0-100mph: 11.62secs
Quarter mile: 13.25s @ 105.9mph
100-0mph: 4.17secs/88.29m
What an absolute scorcher this thing is off the line. Light weight, total traction: as long as you were prepared to be brutal with the clutch (I was), and discovered a little trick where you can hold the revs (I did), the GR Yaris takes off like a spooked celebrity. 4.64secs to 60mph when Toyota claims 5.5-to-62.
Up to 50mph the Audi S3, with its gentler launch control, could barely see which way the GR had gone. But then it slid another seamless DSG shift home, while the Yaris driver did battle with the notchy manual run from second to third, and lost its whole advantage and more.
Couldnā€™t care less, itā€™s not the numbers that make the Yaris fun. Although the off-the-line party trick is bloody amusing ā€“ Iā€™d just like to point out that its 0-30mph time of 1.48secs is faster than an Audi TT RS, Ferrari 488 ā€“ or 488 Pista ā€“ Lambo Urus, Honda NSX, any McLaren 570, any Tesla Model 3 and the A45 S thatā€™s the fastest thing here. Make no mistake, if you run up against one of these at a traffic light, be very afraid.
But by 90mph itā€™s pretty much cooked. Sure itā€™ll carry on angrily doing its best, but that broad face isnā€™t designed to slip through the air. Still, it hangs on to a notable victory over the Civic by getting itself across the quarter mile almost three-quarters of a second faster than the Honda. Nor did it disgrace itself under brakes.
2: Audi S3
0-60mph: 4.48secs
0-100mph: 10.93secs
Quarter mile: 13.09s @ 109.1mph
100-0mph: 4.12secs/86.48m
Sport mode, press brakes, press throttle, release brakes, yawn, arrive at 100mph. That about sums up the Audi S3 experience. Itā€™s very effective, but entirely uninvolving, requires no skill whatsoever and communicates very little excitement indeed. Thereā€™s a bit of a jolt as it leaves the line, otherwise nothing. Maybe a distant pop from the exhaust to mark each gearshift.
Brakes well, but this is such a by-the-numbers car that although rapid, it feels no faster than the Golf GTI. Which itself felt slower than the Fiesta ST. Enough said.

DSC02318.JPG
dsc02318.jpg

1: Mercedes-AMG A45
0-60mph: 3.76secs
0-100mph: 8.66secs
Quarter mile: 12.19s @ 117.1mph
100-0mph: 4.11secs/87.50m
Hereā€™s the other side of the Audi coin. Same basic 4WD, twin clutch layout, but a world away in terms of delivery. 415bhp from a 2.0-litre turbo, furiously dispatched through clutch and gearbox to astonishing effect. I know an RS3 will be along shortly, and doubtless have more power. But whether it will have the sheer energy of the A45 remains to be seen.
It has deeply impressive launch control and enough power to blitz the opposition as the speeds rise. I was impressed enough the Civic did 60-100 in under six. The A45 does it in under five. This is proper grown up speed, a league above hot hatches. Its 0-100mph time puts it on par with Audi RS5, the Aston DB11 and Jagā€™s 4WD F-Type SVR.
Itā€™s priced unlike any hot hatch because it does speed unlike any other hot hatch. Thereā€™s not much weā€™ve tested that delivers this much quarter mile ability for this much money. Again, itā€™s as quick there as an Alfa Giulia QV, Aston Vantage, BMW M3 Comp, Porsche Panamera 4S and so on.
Compared to the Fiesta? Well, when the slowest car here passes 100mph, the Merc is doing 130mph. Itā€™s another 3seconds before the ST reaches the end of the quarter and itā€™ll be going 20mph slower when it gets there. But like we always say, none of this matters because as the S3 (not to mention just about every electric car) proves, speed alone ainā€™t exciting.
But at least the AMG A45 S can claim a crown. Itā€™s the fastest hot hatch of all.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
What he^ Said.

You are making some massive and unfair assumptions here, but I guess negativity is the in thing these days.

Anyway, we can import the GR Yaris here so not something for me to worry about. LOL
Just setting realistic expectations based on what we know so far.

Import? Canā€™t import these to the US and still be street legal.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Just setting realistic expectations based on what we know so far.

Import? Canā€™t import these to the US and still be street legal.
Good for me that I'm not in the US then ?