First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Two different fun cars with different missions.

The GR Yaris is the higher performance machine without a doubt.

At least we’ll get the 296hp AWD manual Corolla GRMN if the latest rumor is to be believed.

With the 25 year import ban no one will get to enjoy a GR Yaris in the U.S.
Hopefully it will come in Auto as well so I can get one for my partner :)
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Fake News, its been hooning around the ring for a year or so in various guises
Erm... okay then perhaps Motor1 is just throwing this at us for a slow news day but I don't think a more powerful GR Yaris variant for any countries that get it is "fake news" considering that Toyota is already reportedly developing a sub-300hp version of the 1.6L I-3 turbo engine for the global GR Corolla models.

It would only make sense to also install that engine into some limited edition GR Yaris model for Japanese sales at the very least. Toyota isn't going to let the GR Corolla have more horsepower with the same engine design than the much lighter and specially made GR Yaris and they'll have to put the sub-300hp version into at least one more vehicle than the Corolla just to spread the costs around as much as they can.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have read through both of those thread links. Still no one in either of them even once mentions how this might be connected to the development of the GR Corolla with a version of the GR Yaris’ driveline.

Maybe Toyota really has no plans for a very limited and high priced Yaris using whatever driveline improvements get developed for the GR Corolla model but if it means they would have an easy way to offer another edition of the GR Yaris it wouldn’t surprise me.

Maybe the car in the photo I posted is just some’s own personal car. If so I had no idea and did not intend to clutter the thread with something insignificant.

Since, frustratingly, the GR Yaris won’t be available to import into the U.S. for nearly a quarter of a century I am much more interested in the GR Corolla which hopefully will use all of its running gear including the dual Torsen LSDs.

IF Toyota has been developing a higher powered version of this engine in order to compensate for the Corolla’s significantly heavier weight that is the only reason I have given the rumor of the potential *side effect* of a more powerful GR Yaris any credence at all.

And if Toyota never does it... fine. The GR Yaris w/Circuit Pack as is still exists in the world as an amazing vehicle.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
The GR Yaris w/Circuit Pack as is still exists in the world as an amazing vehicle.
It really is a fantastic car, the Hype is real, still favour my Supra though

IMG_6414_LI.jpg

Looking forward to the GR Corolla & GR Hilux :cool:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It really is a fantastic car, the Hype is real, still favour my Supra though

IMG_6414_LI.jpg

Looking forward to the GR Corolla & GR Hilux :cool:
That’s a perfect pair you have! I believe the hype. I wish we had an importation exemption of some kind to be able to get it here and have normal use of it after doing so.

As an American kid who grew up watching international WRC and FIA rally racing TV coverage in the 1990’s, who felt the “old” 2002-2003 WRX and Evo took far too long to arrive in the U.S. and who loved the two generations of the Celica All-Trac (GT-Four) that we did get and who once nearly got himself a super rare 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS (1.6L turbo, AWD, manual) I feel cheated by Toyota not offering this car in the U.S.

There are a good number of fans over here like me who appreciate rally racing and all of the great cars that have come from the sport. It’s a shame but I will admire the GR Yaris from afar :)

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
That’s a perfect pair you have! I believe the hype. I wish we had an importation exemption of some kind to be able to get it here and have normal use of it after doing so.

As an American kid who grew up watching international WRC and FIA rally racing TV coverage in the 1990’s, who felt the “old” 2002-2003 WRX and Evo took far too long to arrive in the U.S. and who loved the two generations of the Celica All-Trac (GT-Four) that we did get and who once nearly got himself a super rare 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS (1.6L turbo, AWD, manual) I feel cheated by Toyota not offering this car in the U.S.

There are a good number of fans over here like me who appreciate rally racing and all of the great cars that have come from the sport. It’s a shame but I will admire the GR Yaris from afar :)
You will get the GR Corolla, the GRY has been a massive spring board for it so has done its job

I hope the GRC will be similar to the GRY

I'm sure it won't have carbon & alloy body parts though, if it does it will be $$$$

Time will tell what exactly the GRC is, I'm hoping for an auto version for my partner, she loves her baby Yaris

IMG_6465.jpg

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You will get the GR Corolla, the GRY has been a massive spring board for it so has done its job

I hope the GRC will be similar to the GRY

I'm sure it won't have carbon & alloy body parts though, if it does it will be $$$$

Time will tell what exactly the GRC is, I'm hoping for an auto version for my partner, she loves her baby Yaris

IMG_6465.jpg
I can see some aluminum body parts being part of the package but not so much the carbon fiber roof that the GR Yaris received.

So long as there is the same 6-speed manual AWD setup (with Torsens) offered alongside an automatic I’ll be happy. An auto-only GR Corolla or impossible to find M/T version would really be a disappointment. I understand the desire for an auto version so long as the pure manual version remains the prime GRC offering.

Indeed we’ll have to wait to see what it becomes. The GRY will remain the exclusive legend that it is, however.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
If Toyota is smart/able, they'll throw the Subaru STI driveline into the GR Corolla.
AWD, 3 LSD's, Brembo's, quick steering, fantastic manual transmission, and 300+ horsepower.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If Toyota is smart/able, they'll throw the Subaru STI driveline into the GR Corolla.
AWD, 3 LSD's, Brembo's, quick steering, fantastic manual transmission, and 300+ horsepower.
They can’t do that though. The Corolla’s architecture isn’t set up for a Subaru boxer AWD driveline at all.

It is way more compatible with the GR Yaris’ engine and driveline which is what they’re doing with a horsepower bump. Brembos I agree could be spec’d for their GR Corolla just the same as with the GR Yaris. Toyota already has LSD’s designed for the GR Yaris so those should carry over too. Same for the 6-speed manual transmission.

It’s just not going to become a 3-door or be nearly as light as the GR Yaris unfortunately.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
"Toyota GR Yaris Prototype Gets Hydrogen-Fueled Combustion Engine"

https://www.motor1.com/news/552115/toyota-gr-yaris-hydrogen-fuel/

I guess this means that their prototype H2 combustion GR Yaris racecar has spawned an additional street trim prototype variant. I hope they actually get this produced or at least use it to plan for some other future sportscar or hot hatch using hydrogen combustion. It wouldn't be totally zero emissions but the emissions would likely be so extremely low as to be negligible for the low volumes that affordable performance cars tend to sell at.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 3.15.08 AM.png
Sponsored