Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Looks like the details are now leaking, so no point in keeping it secret.

GR Corolla will use the same exact engine as the GR Yaris but it will be adapted to the current TNGA AWD system being used in the Rav, Camry, etc

It should be coming around the same time as the Supra GRMN and apparently price isn't gonna be all that bad (if what is being said on my end is correct).

Imagined it would use the same engine. Same power output? Any weight reduction? So the TV AWD then? Does that mean no manual option? I saw an article that I haven't been able to find again that said the GR yaris awd system was adapted from/similar to the Rav.... fact or conjecture or down right incorrect?
Sponsored

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh.... and will it be a "GR Corolla" or "Corolla GR" ? :D

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Same engine, manual, power output might actually be slightly more apparently (to compete with STI etc), and weight is unknown but expected to be more than the Yaris as it is a bigger car.

The GR Yaris AWD system is different from the system going into this new car, but both are based on TNGA modular config. Saying they are adapted from the system in the Rav is more or less correct, although a very simple way of putting it.

GR branding comes first on all models going forward: GR Supra, GR Yaris, GR Corolla.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Same engine, manual, power output might actually be slightly more apparently (to compete with STI etc), and weight is unknown but expected to be more than the Yaris as it is a bigger car.

The GR Yaris AWD system is different from the system going into this new car, but both are based on TNGA modular config. Saying they are adapted from the system in the Rav is more or less correct, although a very simple way of putting it.

GR branding comes first on all models going forward: GR Supra, GR Yaris, GR Corolla.
Here's hoping for more power to go with the additional (completely expected) weight. Just here wondering now if the 3 pot is 100lbs less than the 2.0 loollll (unlikely, I know).

Good new about the manual though. Nay... excellent news.

Noted on the naming scheme.... so there will be "gr sport" trims, GR cars, and GRMN cars then?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, GR Supra, GR Yaris, and GR Corolla are considered bespoke models very different from the regular variant if one exists. Same for GRMN cars that will use the former as a base for further tuning.

So, GR Supra would be GRMN Supra in higher trim.

GR Sport however is likely to remain an addition to the regular model it is applied to, much like F-Sport (light tuning additions to the base car, but not a bespoke model), but I think these may end up being limited to models that do not have an actual GR variant. Time will tell though and I may hear more on that as time goes on.

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Looks like the details are now leaking, so no point in keeping it secret.

GR Corolla will use the same exact engine as the GR Yaris but it will be adapted to the current TNGA AWD system being used in the Rav, Camry, etc

It should be coming around the same time as the Supra GRMN and apparently price isn't gonna be all that bad (if what is being said on my end is correct).
Do you expect the GR Corolla to get similar body treatment as the Yaris? Mostly new body panels compared to the base model, roof line changed, etc. You basically can't replicate a GR Yaris from a base Yaris due to the sidemember/roof changes.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It is very possible, at least in regards to the body panels and chassis modifications (spot welding/structural additions etc), but I haven't seen any renderings or had conversations on that.

I'm very excited for this car though (more than I was), especially now that I know GR86 will not be appealing to me at all.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Developed entirely in-house at Subaru with very little Toyota involvement (sound familiar? lol)

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
Do you expect the GR Corolla to get similar body treatment as the Yaris? Mostly new body panels compared to the base model, roof line changed, etc. You basically can't replicate a GR Yaris from a base Yaris due to the sidemember/roof changes.
I honestly wouldn't count on it. The GR Yaris serves as the base of the new Rally car and therefore has been designed with the input of the motorsport team. The Corolla won't have that.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
It is very possible, at least in regards to the body panels and chassis modifications (spot welding/structural additions etc), but I haven't seen any renderings or had conversations on that.

I'm very excited for this car though (more than I was), especially now that I know GR86 will not be appealing to me at all.
It seems like you prefer the GR Corolla to the GR Yaris. Is that just because itā€™s a bigger, more practical car, or is there something else with the Corolla that will make it more appealing?

I do think it will be a cool car, but Iā€™m imagining something along the lines of a Focus RS. Cool, but not groundbreaking. I think Iā€™ve figured out my problem with these cars, and identifying the problem is the first step to solving, so maybe the GR Corolla can help me through this lol. I feel like these are the cars that came about after nearly killing off the sports car era. It suddenly became necessary for a fun car to also be practical and we ended up losing most of the sports car options and gaining a bunch of hatchbacks that barely stand out in traffic. I do see the value in these cars, but it just feels like a compromise.

Now somehow given all that, one of my favorite cars is the ā€˜86 Shelby GLHS, so I donā€™t know why Iā€™m so against a modern practical, fun hatchback.

Developed entirely in-house at Subaru with very little Toyota involvement (sound familiar? lol)
Thatā€™s a crushing blow lol. So TNGA rumors are false?

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I honestly wouldn't count on it. The GR Yaris serves as the base of the new Rally car and therefore has been designed with the input of the motorsport team. The Corolla won't have that.
Yeah I was wondering if there may be some future Motorsport application that would warrant doing the GR Corolla to the same extent.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It seems like you prefer the GR Corolla to the GR Yaris. Is that just because itā€™s a bigger, more practical car, or is there something else with the Corolla that will make it more appealing?

I do think it will be a cool car, but Iā€™m imagining something along the lines of a Focus RS. Cool, but not groundbreaking. I think Iā€™ve figured out my problem with these cars, and identifying the problem is the first step to solving, so maybe the GR Corolla can help me through this lol. I feel like these are the cars that came about after nearly killing off the sports car era. It suddenly became necessary for a fun car to also be practical and we ended up losing most of the sports car options and gaining a bunch of hatchbacks that barely stand out in traffic. I do see the value in these cars, but it just feels like a compromise.

Now somehow given all that, one of my favorite cars is the ā€˜86 Shelby GLHS, so I donā€™t know why Iā€™m so against a modern practical, fun hatchback.

Thatā€™s a crushing blow lol. So TNGA rumors are false?
I need (want) a new DD for the US and the EU/JP Yaris would likely never be available, that's why I prefer the Corolla. Anywhere else, I'd buy the Yaris, especially given it's lighter.

But yeah, apparently all Subaru is what I'm hearing for GR86.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would hope at least a carbon roof and some spot welding. I think the Corolla already has an FRP hatch (I stand to be corrected). I really wouldn't get my hopes up for more than that though.

That's bitterly disappointing. Can you say how hands on Toyota were with the development of the original 86 after they partnered with Subaru? I'd really like to know how much input they had in the direction of the car, cause if it looses that essence well.. that would suck. If it is an improvement along that line, then I could get over it... FHI is practically into the fold of Toyota's group of companies right now. To echo @jm6k somewhat, does this mean that the rumors of Subaru's new platform not being able to accommodate rwd is untrue?
Sponsored