Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
Oh nice. I guess these 100 will be gone very soon too.

Something I have noticed while looking at the UK configurator. The car only needs 95 octane fuel which means Toyota has actually left some untapped potential in the engine by not utilizing 98 octane.
Sponsored

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
People from the UK have a reason to be happy. Apparently the first boat from Japan with cars is on its way. Multiple people have been told their cars are among them. The estimated arrival is somewhere around early-mid November.

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
Im so happy right now because just this morning I got an E-Mail with a Status Update from from Toyota. My car is in Production :D
Im in Germany so this should also be good news for all the people in LHD countries. We apparently don't have to wait long either.

Status Update GR Yaris.jpg

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Waiting 25 years to import a GR Yaris is not fun but so long as the ENTIRE drivertrain including the dual Torsen LSD “circuit pack” makes it into a GR Corolla for the U.S. and Canada that’ll be fine.

and a GRMN Corolla variant for North America would be great as well.

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
I think this is one of the first English First Look videos available.

And this is also an interesting one since it includes a dyno run.

It's in Japanese so I can't tell what he is saying exactly but the numbers are interesting since they could mean that Toyota was conservative with the claimed numbers. It has pretty much the horsepower that it's supposed to have but it has way more torque. He measured 419 Nm / 309 ft·lb.

Last edited:

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris

An interesting video about a bit of off-road fun. The curious thing is that the car is clearly not stock since it has a working anti-lag system and judging from the standing start it could even have a sequential gearbox. It sounds pretty good in general and that turbo flutter at 1:46 :love:

Probably a decent example of what could be if laws are not a concern.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It's impressive and cool to see an anti-lag system on one of these so soon!

Though laws aside I think the larger concern for budget-minded enthusiasts is that anti-lag is very hard on turbos and engines. It's more affordable for a dedicated racecar that sees limited use or with a race team budget.

The ST205 Celica GT-Four WRC road car models came with partial anti-lag system plumbing from the factory for homologation but this was not hooked up in stock form for emissions purposes. Owners wanting to make use of it had to complete the anti-lag system themselves.

It's not inconceivable that a future special edition of the Yaris GR (as a GRMN?) road cars might also come with partial anti-lag system hardware for homologation that owners would once again need to finish up themselves to get them working. But it would make it that much easier for anyone buying one of these cars for the express purpose of setting up a race-ready rally car right away.
Sponsored