Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
The GR Corolla, despite not being built for WRC, needs the same engine, manual transmission, big brakes, 4WD system with three modes, manual handbrake and dual LSDs. If the GR Yaris’ LSDs can be added as brand new parts then it would be annoying but acceptable.

But without all of that hardware being included the interest will be dampened considerably.
I don't see Toyota adding a manual handbrake just for the GR Corolla when all the other Corolla trims have an electronic handbrake. The Civic Type R doesn't get a manual handbrake just like the other Civic trims.

I really can't see Toyota US giving the GR Corolla all the GR Yaris hardware, but I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see all that and still be at 30k.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I don't see Toyota adding a manual handbrake just for the GR Corolla when all the other Corolla trims have an electronic handbrake. The Civic Type R doesn't get a manual handbrake just like the other Civic trims.

I really can't see Toyota US giving the GR Corolla all the GR Yaris hardware, but I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see all that and still be at 30k.
The manual handbrake should be included to get it right but I understand the odds against it.

Overall if Toyota does not bring overall the other hardware then the value proposition won’t be there. Torsen LSDs can likely be added by owners and so can a set of front and rear big brake calipers.

Everything else though... not so easy.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
This was a BTG lap, not a full lap.
For those interested:

That is why many timed ‘Ring “laps” are measured from the entry on to the track to the exit – this is a “bridge to gantry” lap (BTG) and misses out the part between the last gantry and the first bridge. A full lap is 20.832km, and a BTG lap is 19.1km, which equates to around 20-30 seconds less time.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/23/toyota-yaris-gr-nurburgring-video/

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The manual handbrake should be included to get it right but I understand the odds against it.

Overall if Toyota does not bring overall the other hardware then the value proposition won’t be there. Torsen LSDs can likely be added by owners and so can a set of front and rear big brake calipers.

Everything else though... not so easy.
You really can't expect **all** the hardware and a bargain basement price. It will likely be at least $35k with all the bells and whistles.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
You really can't expect **all** the hardware and a bargain basement price. It will likely be at least $35k with all the bells and whistles.
I didn’t say I expected it at a bargain basement price. I see w proper GR Yaris drivetrain carrying over in full to a GR Corolla as being closer to $40k MSRP at least.

Still all the right hardware being offered from the showroom floor is still easier than waiting 25 years to legally import a by-then rare and expensive GR Yaris and it is also easier than trying to California smog and/or California smog testing lab certify a non-U.S. driveline configuration (From a JDM or Euro GR Yaris donor) than might be offered in a watered down GR Corolla USDM.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
I completely expect the GR Corolla to be about 200lbs more than the GR Yaris. Even if they brought all the hardware from the GR Yaris, it would still be inferior due to the weight increase.

I don't see Toyota using any exotic materials to reduce the weight of the current Corolla.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
I may be reading a little too much into this but from Toyota's page:

1606613532761.png

I completely expect the US GR Corolla to receive the same engine and some kind of AWD system, and stiffer suspension. I don't expect the dual LSD and maybe it won't have the advanced 3 modes either. I can see this being about 30k with just the AWD and engine.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
I completely expect the GR Corolla to be about 200lbs more than the GR Yaris. Even if they brought all the hardware from the GR Yaris, it would still be inferior due to the weight increase.

I don't see Toyota using any exotic materials to reduce the weight of the current Corolla.
The Corolla's hatch is already made from a Polymer/ABS plastic to reduce weight. I don't think it's far fetched that it would also get an aluminum hood and CF roof. That may not drop much overall weight, but I agree it's not likely to be quite as light as a Yaris... it is a bigger car after all.

I may be reading a little too much into this but from Toyota's page:

1606613532761.png

I completely expect the US GR Corolla to receive the same engine and some kind of AWD system, and stiffer suspension. I don't expect the dual LSD and maybe it won't have the advanced 3 modes either. I can see this being about 30k with just the AWD and engine.
Why wouldn't it though? Perhaps the Front/Rear LSDs may be optional as well, but I don't see why they couldn't be on offer. If it has the AWD system, it's going to have the 3 modes as well. It's kind of integral to the system. It may change the F/R percentages depending on what suits the longer wheelbase and size of the Corolla.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
The Corolla's hatch is already made from a Polymer/ABS plastic to reduce weight. I don't think it's far fetched that it would also get an aluminum hood and CF roof. That may not drop much overall weight, but I agree it's not likely to be quite as light as a Yaris... it is a bigger car after all.

Why wouldn't it though? Perhaps the Front/Rear LSDs may be optional as well, but I don't see why they couldn't be on offer. If it has the AWD system, it's going to have the 3 modes as well. It's kind of integral to the system. It may change the F/R percentages depending on what suits the longer wheelbase and size of the Corolla.
Just lowering my expectations so I'm not disappointed when the car actually does come out lol.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Toyota GR Yaris

Local Launch
Canberra, ACT

It has been more than 20 years since Toyota gave us a World Rally Championship homologation special, but it seems the wait has been worthwhile. Enter the new Toyota GR Yaris – a three-cylinder, all-wheel drive hot hatch that will form the basis of Toyota’s global rally efforts in 2021. For such a small car, the GR Yaris makes a huge statement.

Elephant in the room
Let’s side-step the fact that the new 2020 Toyota GR Yaris is ‘a Yaris’. For all intents and purposes, this is Toyota’s first rally homologation special since the revered Celica GT-Four that bowed out in 1999.
Indeed, what we have here is a car that apparently shares only three common parts with the garden-variety Yaris light car – its headlights, tail-lights and mirror caps.
More than that, the GR Yaris signals the return of a bona-fide performance model for the Japanese marque: “a sports car made purely by Toyota” in the words of the car-maker.
On face value, the GR Yaris that reaches Aussie showrooms this month mimics a skunkworks special – toiled over by Gazoo Racing engineers in the dimly-lit corridors of Toyota’s Japanese HQ.
Except it wasn’t. Heading up Toyota’s new World Rally Championship homologation special was none other than Toyota boss Akio Toyoda. At one point, the company took insights from rally legend Tommi Makinen.
Related Articles

There’s some serious firepower behind the GR Yaris. Let’s see how it transpires on the road.
toyota-gr-yaris-b2262.jpg
Small car, big money
We’ve written plenty already about the pricing of the 2020 Toyota GR Yaris, including the company’s vexing decision to discount the first 1000 examples to $39,950 drive-away.
However, upon speaking to those close to the project, it is clear that Toyota grossly underestimated Australian demand for the prodigious hot hatch – first by subsidising the first batches of vehicles, secondly by not ordering more of them.
Even this week, senior Toyota executives sought opinion from carsales on whether the higher-tier GR Yaris Rallye was too much to ask at $56,200 drive-away.
In any case, the regular sticker price of the GR Yaris is now set at $49,500 plus on-road costs.
Performance aside (we’ll get to the oily bits further on), the GR Yaris gets 18-inch alloy wheels, keyless entry and start, LED headlights, tail-lights and fog lights, dual-zone climate control, a reversing camera and more.
On the tech front there’s a 7.0-inch centre colour display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Bluetooth and eight-speaker audio, a 4.2-inch digital display without the otherwise analogue instrument cluster, plus a head-up display.
toyota-gr-yaris-0211.jpg

Also included is Toyota’s Safety Sense package, which bundles autonomous emergency braking (AEB), lane keeping assist and more to almost align with the Yaris donor model.
One feature missing in the sportier GR Yaris is a centre airbag, which would automatically rule it out of a five-star ANCAP safety rating in Australia. Toyota says that due to its small volume, the GR Yaris will not be crash tested.
The GR Yaris is available in three colours – white, black and red.
Despite its rallying pedigree, the GR model misses out on a spare tyre, making do with a tyre inflation kit.
A five-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty is offered with the GR Yaris. It’s also subject to six-month/10,000km servicing intervals which equates to $1560 over the first three years of ownership under the car-maker’s capped-price servicing schedule.
toyota-gr-yaris-b1891.jpg
Under the bonnet
The 2020 Toyota GR Yaris makes 200kW of power and 370Nm of torque from a 1.6-litre three-cylinder turbo-petrol engine and drives via a six-speed manual transmission and a unique GR-FOUR all-wheel drive system.
The latter is able to apportion torque to the front and rear axles according to which of the three driving modes you’ve selected. Normal splits 60:40 front-rear, Sport transitions to 30:70 while Track goes for an optimal 50:50 split.
These are theoretically nominal figures, according to Toyota, with the system able to apportion 100 per cent of torque to either the front or rear axle depending on individual wheel slippage.
The GR Yaris boasts a power-to-weight ratio of 156kW per tonne, a 0-100km/h acceleration time of 5.2 seconds and an electronically limited top speed of 230km/h. It requires 98-octane premium unleaded in Australia.
Underpinning the GR Yaris is a mix of Toyota’s TNGA architecture. The front-end is essentially a Yaris and the rear-end is from the larger Corolla footprint.
toyota-gr-yaris-2913.jpg

The GR model also swaps out the donor Yaris’ torsion beam rear suspension for a more sophisticated multilink arrangement, and employs lighter-weight materials across its MacPherson strut front-end.
All that firepower requires significant braking, to which Toyota presents 356mm discs combined with four-pot callipers up front and 297mm rear discs clamped by two pistons.
For reference, the forthcoming Rallye will be differentiated from the regular GR model via an upgraded chassis with lighter, stronger 18-inch forged alloy BBS wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres, stiffer track-tuned suspension and a Torsen limited-slip differential for both the front and rear axle.
Cladding the three-door GR Yaris’ athletic internals is a bespoke bodywork comprising aluminium bonnet, doors and hatch and a carbon-fibre roof – helping achieve an outright kerb weight of 1280kg.
We checked in with one insurance insider about what the exotic panel work might mean for annual premiums and the result isn’t great – a forecasted annual cost of more than double a regular Yaris, depending on variables. That’s putting it conservatively, we’d speculate.
toyota-gr-yaris-b1995.jpg
Seat time
Sport bucket seats and meaty steering wheel aside, there are a few tell-tale signs you’re sitting in something that isn’t a garden-variety Yaris. In fact, we counted about a dozen Gazoo Racing logos dotted throughout the go-fast Toyota GR Yaris as a precursor to its performance.
Cabin fit-out feels relatively well acquitted otherwise: the 7.0-inch screen and matching 4.2-inch digital display in the instrument cluster cover the basics, though you’d expect a bit more given the outlay.
Hard-wearing plastics adorn most of the visible contact areas, and the cabin feels well put together with the exception of a dodgy passenger grab rail on our particular test car.
That said, there is much bigger oversight at play inside the cabin. The GR Yaris’ front bucket seats are too high-set for this correspondent’s tastes – a bit like the Ford Focus RS – which leaves you feeling as though you’re sitting on top of the cabin rather than inside it.
Otherwise, the three-door layout is commensurate with a regular three-door runabout sans rear air-vents: there’s a couple of charging points (USB and 12V), a 141-litre boot and split-folding rear seats that liberate up to 737 litres’ worth of space (read: enough room to carry four spare wheels to a track day).
toyota-gr-yaris-0070-2.jpg
Go time
If you have any reservations about the performance of the Toyota GR Yaris’ three-cylinder powerplant, put your mind at ease. It’s a bloody cracker.
Upon pressing the GR Yaris-themed starter button, the diminutive three-pot thrums to life with a muted tenor, but it soon changes its tune.
Officially, the GR Yaris claims a 0-100km/h time of 5.2sec. But what the advertised power and torque figures don’t relay is the immediacy of the three-cylinder’s response. Although peak torque doesn’t materialise until 3000rpm, the turbo-triple bursts into life with great enthusiasm at any opportunity upon burying your right foot.
toyota-gr-yaris-4260.jpg

There’s a smooth wave of go-forward cleanly delivered to the ground with barely any semblance of delay. And best of all, the three-cylinder is free-revving all the way to its 7000rpm cut-out.
The entire climb to the crescendo is accentuated by artificial sound piped into the cabin. It makes for a satisfying, character-filled experience that amplifies the smile-factor significantly.
In favouring the solitary six-speed manual transmission, Toyota has given the shrinking hatchback performance market a genuinely engaging option; one that enamours with its involvement and rewards driver skills.
It’s a marvellous match for the engine, providing a terrific spread of ratios that allow it to stretch its legs on a mountain pass yet reap the benefits of the available torque.
Similarly, the GR Yaris reminds you what a well-sorted performance car should deliver in terms of feel and feedback.
toyota-gr-yaris-4073.jpg

From the mechanical premise of its short-throw manual, the alacrity of its electrically-assisted steering or the chassis’ acute responses to the road beneath, the small elements conspire to create a truly tactile and visceral driving experience.
These elements are augmented by a natural front-to-rear balance that encourages you to attack the corners, at which point the GR shows off its playful side. Lift-off oversteer and liveliness under heavy braking are all par for the course here – and we love it.
Limiting the dynamic experience in some ways, however, is the selection of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx rubber. The tyres feel good in ordinary conveyance but limit the GR’s front-end purchase and its overall grip on a winding mountain pass. Even more so when we attack a closed road course later in the day.
toyota-gr-yaris-b1804.jpg

Otherwise, there are only a handful of instances where the GR suffers from inside wheel spin, while its brakes hold up to all the punishment we can throw at them with no fade or smoking.
Whatever Toyota is cooking up with the hotter GR Rallye ought to be good to justify its pricing premium, because a premium set of tyres is about all we’d change on the ‘regular’ version.
That the GR does so without the hard-edged progress of similarly-minded performance hatches is redeeming. In fact, other than ever-present road noise, the ride and handling balance is quite liveable.
Firm, but not disconcertingly so.
toyota-gr-yaris-6010.jpg
A once-in-a-generation car?
For its small performance-oriented foibles, the 2020 Toyota GR Yaris is a remarkably sound hot hatch that delivers authentic driver thrills.
That it is able to do so in an era of increasingly tightening emissions and safety requirements – and, let’s be honest, red tape – is a huge achievement by Toyota.
The GR Yaris is a car worth celebrating. In these increasingly uncertain times, it is simply a fun car to drive – a throwback to when driving a performance car was just that.
How much does the 2020 Toyota GR Yaris cost?
Price:
$49,500 (plus on-road costs)
Available: Now
Engine: 1.6-litre three-cylinder turbo-petrol
Output: 200kW/370Nm
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Fuel: 7.6L/100km (ADR Combined)
CO2: 172g/km (ADR Combined)
Safety rating: Not tested
Related: Toyota GR Yaris 2020 International Review
Related: Toyota GR Yaris Rallye priced at $55K
Related: Hot Toyota GR Yaris is a sell-out – again
Related: Toyota GR Yaris starts under $40K
Related: Five reasons the Toyota GR Yaris will smash its rivals
Also consider:
>> Honda Civic Type R (from $54,990 plus ORCs)
>> Renault Megane RS Sport (from $45,990 plus ORCs)
>> Ford Fiesta ST (from $32,290 plus ORCs)

What we liked:

• Punchy, torque-laden three-cylinder engine
• Terrific tuning to controls, excellent mechanical feedback
• Sets a new gold standard for hot hatch driver enjoyment

Not so much:

• High-set driver’s seat, basic cabin fit-out
• Better tyres would increase dynamic envelope dramatically
• No spare tyre, six-month service intervals, question mark over insurance premiums

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Was lucky enough to take this for an impromptu quick drive this arvo

IMG_6128_LI.jpg

This car is completely nuts (I'm being polite):headbang: the internet hype isn't overstated

IMG_6131.jpg

We only get the top spec here & at $55K its not bad value :cool:

IMG_6129(1).jpg

I placed an order on Tuesday but it still hasn't been confirmed, there are only 100 coming to NZ & at that stage 85 were spoken for, so fingers crossed

IMG_6130(1).jpg

It will be my partners shopping trolley :thumbsup:

Hillstart

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 GT86, 2019 Supra A90edition, 2020 GR Yaris CP
Today I test drove a GR Yaris Circuit Pack, If you've put a deposit down you will not be disappointed.

The engine is a cracker, gearbox excellent, clutch took a minute or 2 to get used to coming from mainly auto cars.

If there is a bad point, it was trying to keep it within the legal speed limits.

Mine's due next week, can't wait.
Sponsored