Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
This will be good. It should also give us an early look at the production GR Corolla engine's state of tune.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
This will be good. It should also give us an early look at the production GR Corolla engine's state of tune.
I think that's rather optimistic. Looking fwd to see what they've done none the less.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Maybe it should, but I would guess it will have about as much in common with the production Corolla as the FT-1 does with the Supra. I hope I'm wrong, but considering they didn't deem us worthy of getting the good Yaris at all... I think it's a fairly safe bet.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think that's rather optimistic. Looking fwd to see what they've done none the less.
Maybe it should, but I would guess it will have about as much in common with the production Corolla as the FT-1 does with the Supra. I hope I'm wrong, but considering they didn't deem us worthy of getting the good Yaris at all... I think it's a fairly safe bet.

I want the GR Yaris in the U.S. as much as everyone else does. Toyota's excuse that they don't sell any version of one here any longer and therefore would have a hard and expensive time homologating it is a bit of an excuse considering the GR Yaris has a bespoke body shell and engine anyway. The only added thing would have been the headlights and tail lights which are shared with the regular production Yaris five door sold in the rest of the world.

Nonetheless, if the GR Corolla is to come with 296hp as rumored then that variant of the engine would have to be engineered... and I find it hard to believe that Toyota wouldn't also put a more powerful version of that engine in their GR Yaris rally special.

The FT-1 was a Toyota/Calty designed concept that was then visually reworked into a shared chassis with BMW. That comparison is much more in line with the regular JDM Yaris having almost nothing in common with the GR Yaris as it got its own totally bespoke body shell.

The GR Corolla is not being developed in that way because it would cost too much. Toyota developed a much better chassis and suspension than the last generation and ensured a good manual transmission would be included even on the base models.

A GR version incorporating the GR Yaris AWD system, 1.6L turbo engine, manual transmission, brakes, Torsen LSDs and a few much less costly weight saving tricks is only going to build on what the current normal Corolla five-door hatch already is as a basis. That's the way cars like these used to be created in general.

The only concern that I have is how many production years we'll have a chance to buy it and if Toyota will sell only a few hundred a year with requisite absurd dealer markups due to stupidly low supply.... or if they'll make a good number of them so that they'll be reasonably attainable.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
My guess is the GRC will be part of the Corolla line up & will be as available as the other Corollas, much like the Supra

The GRC is the only way Toyota will get a financial return on the GRY's development, there is no way they made a profit from the GRY to date

The GRY is at the end of it production run

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
My guess is the GRC will be part of the Corolla line up & will be as available as the other Corollas, much like the Supra
I don't understand your point. Obviously the GR Corolla will be sold as a Corolla. That seems to be the only point: a halo car to make the Corolla brand cooler. What alternative is there?

The GRC is the only way Toyota will get a financial return on the GRY's development, there is no way they made a profit from the GRY to date
I expect the primary goal of the GR Yaris was to give Toyota a competitive WRC car. That said, I doubt Toyota sold the GR Yaris at a loss and, if they did, I expect the halo on the Yaris brand made up for it. Toyota's a business that expects a significant ROI, and I find it hard to believe they were betting on the GR Corolla to recoup their losses.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
I don't understand your point. Obviously the GR Corolla will be sold as a Corolla. That seems to be the only point: a halo car to make the Corolla brand cooler. What alternative is there?
It was in reply to this post, should have quoted it

The only concern that I have is how many production years we'll have a chance to buy it and if Toyota will sell only a few hundred a year with requisite absurd dealer markups due to stupidly low supply.... or if they'll make a good number of them so that they'll be reasonably attainable.

I expect the primary goal of the GR Yaris was to give Toyota a competitive WRC car. That said, I doubt Toyota sold the GR Yaris at a loss and, if they did, I expect the halo on the Yaris brand made up for it. Toyota's a business that expects a significant ROI, and I find it hard to believe they were betting on the GR Corolla to recoup their losses.
Yes initially the main goal for the GRY was homologation for WRC, without it it probably would never had been built but the rules changed & it wasn't to be

I just cannot see how developing the GRY with all the Alloy panels, Carbon roof, new drive train, brakes, wheels etc, etc then selling it at the price they did was economic

It shares very little with the "normal" Yaris, except the FWD Japan model the has the same 1.5ltr motor & CVT as the standard Yaris

Imagine the cost of the Supra if Toyota made it from scratch as they basically did with the GRY

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As long as it’s on par with the zf I’ll be on board but if it’s anything like the auto in the Camry im driving it’s so slow
Hopefully it will be far better than the Camry automatic transmission. I'd guess it will be another Aisin collaboration so hopefully it will be as engaging as the automatic in the GT86/GR86/BRZ.

It is understandable that they needed to develop an auto for the GR Yaris and GR Corolla but the 6-speed manual version is still going to be the one to get.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
More on the new 8-speed automatic being developed for the GR Yaris (and presumably which will later be available in the GR Corolla):

https://www.motor1.com/news/580755/toyota-automatic-transmission-development/

About a month ago, we heard Toyota is working on a new eight-speed automatic gearbox for the GR Yaris as an alternative to the available six-speed manual transmission. It seems that the Japanese firm is accelerating the development of that new three-pedal gearbox (note: I think the article's author meant two-pedal gearbox) and is already testing a prototype in the Toyota Gazoo Rally Racing Challenge in Japan.

Local media reports Toyota has appointed Shigeru Hayakawa, Vice Chairman of the company, as a development test driver. His goal will be to reproduce the way of driving most of the GY Yaris actual customers are expected to use. The automaker previously used a professional rally pilot but Hayakawa is said to have a more “honest” driving style.

During the previous test cycle of a GR Yaris equipped with an eight-speed automatic, Toyota experienced some problems. During a run, the test driver downshifted from third to second gear but was unable to accelerate sharply after that. The gearbox was then recalibrated for the next run, which proved to be more successful.

Interestingly, Toyota is reportedly developing a new shifting logic for the automatic transmission when driven in manual mode. In a conventional Toyota, if you pull the lever toward the seats, the AT will shift down, and if you push it in the back, the ‘box will shift up. In the GR Yaris, however, the automaker is most likely going to integrate a reverse logic and it is said that this decision came due to a piece of advice given by one of the company’s most experienced test pilots.

With the weather still not as hot as it is going to be in the summer, Toyota will continue the testing procedures of the new automatic transmission for at least a few more months. The manufacturer will reportedly evaluate it during rallies in warmer months to make sure it can cope with higher temperatures and see if the cooling works properly. Given that, we don’t expect to see it debut before the third or fourth quarter of the year

Just recently, Toyota also presented a hydrogen-fueled GR Yaris prototype with a combustion engine.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting BestCar article on impressions of the prototype 8-speed A/T “DAT” (Direct Automatic Transmission) being developed for the GR Yaris… and presumably also the GR Corolla and any other vehicle that will get the G16E-GTS engine and/or the GR-Four AWD system.

View this link in the Google Chrome browser for its auto-translate function:

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/motorsport/491764
Sponsored