Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
That's bitterly disappointing. Can you say how hands on Toyota were with the development of the original 86 after they partnered with Subaru? I'd really like to know how much input they had in the direction of the car, cause if it looses that essence well.. that would suck. If it is an improvement along that line, then I could get over it... FHI is practically into the fold of Toyota's group of companies right now. To echo @jm6k somewhat, does this mean that the rumors of Subaru's new platform not being able to accommodate rwd is untrue?
-86: Toyota more or less ran the project and as such is still a very Toyota feeling car given that. Basically Toyota did a large part of the engineering/development and provided a few parts, and Subaru assisted and produces the car and vast majority of the parts. The FA20 engine was also co-developed by Toyota/Yamaha and Subaru and that's the reason it is as awesome as it is (D4-S included) for a boxer IMO.

-MKV Supra: Toyota tested parts, did some of the engineering/development, but most of the engineering, vast majority of parts, and all of the production are BMW.

-GR86: will be pretty much all Subaru while hitting the points on the Toyota's list of must haves, but there will be Toyota advisors. Toyota also owns 20% of Subaru at this point, so...
Sponsored

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Moto-san posted up about this GR Yaris on his FB. I mentioned that it's a disappointment that it's not coming to the U.S and he said he has "evidence to say otherwise... ;)"

Whatever that means but I hope it comes to the U.S.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A70TTR, after catching up on all the other exciting GR Corolla details I have a couple of lingering questions:

--If we aren't getting the same variant of the AWD system in the GR Yaris, is there any reason to believe the one coming in the GR Corolla can't be pushed as hard as the one in the smaller rally car?

--Will we get the front AND rear Torsen LSD package option just like the GR-Y?

--Alternatively if we don't get that option then what are the chances we could find those Torsen part numbers from the Euro or Japan parts system, buy them through an importer and actually swap them into the front and rear axles of the USDM GR Corolla?

Aside, this popped up on Motor1:
https://www.motor1.com/news/398028/toyota-gr-corolla-rumor/

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This also came up:
https://www.motor1.com/news/398375/toyota-gr-c-hr-rumor/

I'm not at all a fan of crossovers and the C-HR is no exception but I will say that when it debuted and I got a look at it up close my first thoughts were that by styling alone it suggested it was much more powerful and better equipped than it actually was.

I expected an up-level C-HR with AWD, a 200hp turbo four cylinder and a 6-speed manual. Instead it's just a FWD (for the U.S.), CVT only (for the U.S.), 1.8L 130hp-ish thing. I'm not sure how I'd feel about this thing being a "GR" vehicle but at the very least it would provide the specs that its looks suggest it should have had from day one.

That said, only the GR Corolla interests me.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
This also came up:
https://www.motor1.com/news/398375/toyota-gr-c-hr-rumor/

I'm not at all a fan of crossovers and the C-HR is no exception but I will say that when it debuted and I got a look at it up close my first thoughts were that by styling alone it suggested it was much more powerful and better equipped than it actually was.

I expected an up-level C-HR with AWD, a 200hp turbo four cylinder and a 6-speed manual. Instead it's just a FWD (for the U.S.), CVT only (for the U.S.), 1.8L 130hp-ish thing. I'm not sure how I'd feel about this thing being a "GR" vehicle but at the very least it would provide the specs that its looks suggest it should have had from day one.

That said, only the GR Corolla interests me.
Pretty certain a GR CH-R will get the 3 pot turbo + awd treatment.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
My only reservation about all this is the 2023 rumored date..... That's pretty far off. Maybe too far off even.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I just read something about a GR CHR
I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but I would be happy if it were true as I've always liked the CHR
2020-toyota-c-hr-by-gazoo-racing.jpg

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
If we aren't getting the same variant of the AWD system in the GR Yaris, is there any reason to believe the one coming in the GR Corolla can't be pushed as hard as the one in the smaller rally car?
It's basically the same system, it's just adapted to each platform (again modular TNGA). The one in the Corolla should be very close to/the same as the GR-Y system as far capability.

My only reservation about all this is the 2023 rumored date..... That's pretty far off. Maybe too far off even.
It's pretty far for sure, but that's more because the Corolla part of the equation is fairly recent.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Moto-san posted up about this GR Yaris on his FB. I mentioned that it's a disappointment that it's not coming to the U.S and he said he has "evidence to say otherwise... ;)"

Whatever that means but I hope it comes to the U.S.
Maybe I'm not looking at the correct post, but it looks to me like what you commented on was an article about the GR Corolla, so he probably does have evidence to say it's coming to the US. In the same post someone commented about how they'd rather have the GR Yaris and Moto-san responded saying this was "close enough, no?"

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe I'm not looking at the correct post, but it looks to me like what you commented on was an article about the GR Corolla, so he probably does have evidence to say it's coming to the US. In the same post someone commented about how they'd rather have the GR Yaris and Moto-san responded saying this was "close enough, no?"
No, it wasn't the post with the red Corolla. It was yesterday @ 3:30am and the article was Autoexpress.co.uk "New Toyota GR Corolla hot hatch to arrive with around 250bhp"

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DesmoSD, was it this article? This is what came up using that exact search term but once the article loads the main title changes from what comes up in Google fitting those exact words.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyot...a-corolla-grmn-hot-hatch-likely-to-join-range
My bad, it was about the GR Corolla. I went back and looked at this FB post. So the U.S is getting the GR Corolla and not the GR Yaris, right?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My bad, it was about the GR Corolla. I went back and looked at this FB post. So the U.S is getting the GR Corolla and not the GR Yaris, right?
Yep. Incidentally the UK seems to be getting the GR Corolla as well even though they’ll have access to the GR Yaris. But that’s the European market.

Not sure if the C-HR with the similar (likely not the same power) drivetrain is a U.S. only thing or also a global vehicle thing.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Same engine, manual, power output might actually be slightly more apparently (to compete with STI etc), and weight is unknown but expected to be more than the Yaris as it is a bigger car.

The GR Yaris AWD system is different from the system going into this new car, but both are based on TNGA modular config. Saying they are adapted from the system in the Rav is more or less correct, although a very simple way of putting it.

GR branding comes first on all models going forward: GR Supra, GR Yaris, GR Corolla.
Will this GR Corolla really directly compete with the STI? STI are 37k starting. I see this slotting above the Veloster N but below the STI. Somewhere in the 30k starting price range.

The next gen STI will most likely have the 2.4 turbo, which is why I don't see the 1.6 Corolla directly competing against it.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
i can see the next STI having 400 hp , let's see.
Sponsored