Updated GR Yaris with Automatic debuts at Tokyo Auto Salon

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
i can see the next STI having 400 hp , let's see.
Subaru has consistently stayed conservative and just enough to be relevant. I don't see the next STI having more than 320HP.
Sponsored

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I have a feeling Toyota will disappoint the market and give us a neutered GR Yaris.
There's almost no question that this is what is happening. Comparing what the GR Yaris is to what the GR Corolla will be at least. I mean the Corolla may have more power so no one in the US will notice it's actually worse, but it seems like it will be a much different car.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
I love the idea of the GR Yaris and canā€™t wait to see one. But Iā€™ll be honest, I don't think the 1.6L 3 cylinder belongs in a GR Corolla or C-HR. Those cars are considerably larger and heavier. The new baseline for a Corolla sized hot hatch is a 2L turbo putting out at least 280HP. I think 250-268HP from a 1.6L is a bit low.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I love the idea of the GR Yaris and canā€™t wait to see one. But Iā€™ll be honest, I don't think the 1.6L 3 cylinder belongs in a GR Corolla or C-HR. Those cars are considerably larger and heavier. The new baseline for a Corolla sized hot hatch is a 2L turbo putting out at least 280HP. I think 250-268HP from a 1.6L is a bit low.
if they are serious about the corolla they have to compete with the golf R which is awd , 310 hp and a 2017 model year , and the next one will have nearly 340 hp and it is priced around 40k. So even if the corolla is slower , at least it should not be much slower, my 2 cents.

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
Just found these pictures but they seem to be from the Tokyo Auto Salon which was already over a month ago.

Anyway I think tuners will have a lot of fun with this car because of its potential and because of general JDM car culture. This already looks very serious and good. Stance and height are on point.

tas_2020_dino_dalle_carbonare_25.jpg

tas_2020_dino_dalle_carbonare_26.jpg

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Just found these pictures but they seem to be from the Tokyo Auto Salon which was already over a month ago.

Anyway I think tuners will have a lot of fun with this car because of its potential and because of general JDM car culture. This already looks very serious and good. Stance and height are on point.

Super Taikyu car. Not exactly "Tuner"

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars

That looks ridiculously good. I'm so mad. :p

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
That's way lower than what most people including me expected. Toyota is certainly going all-in on this. There is no way they are making much if any money selling the car at that price but growing the GR brand is probably one of the goals and this Yaris will help a lot in doing that. I think way more than the limited edition GRMN models or the 60K two-seater sports car that is the Supra.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Again, I'm very angry. Might just buy one in Germany and spend all of my vacations with it over there. :p

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's way lower than what most people including me expected. Toyota is certainly going all-in on this. There is no way they are making much if any money selling the car at that price but growing the GR brand is probably one of the goals and this Yaris will help a lot in doing that. I think way more than the limited edition GRMN models or the 60K two-seater sports car that is the Supra.

Well..... they have to sell 25,000 of the things by next year sooo......

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Well..... they have to sell 25,000 of the things by next year sooo......
not sure if they have to sell this particular one, maybe these 25k include the gr sport one also.

Btw loving the pricing on these, it is just 4k more than the 86 and has tons more performance than the 86 and maybe everything else in that price range. An actual very pleasant surprise by toyota, bravo.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
not sure if they have to sell this particular one, maybe these 25k include the gr sport one also.

Btw loving the pricing on these, it is just 4k more than the 86 and has tons more performance than the 86 and maybe everything else in that price range. An actual very pleasant surprise by toyota, bravo.
Nah. 25k of this particular model because of how different it is.
Sponsored