New Toyota software updates for the 2020?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I am just curious has anybody contacted Toyota if they plan on releasing new software updates for the existing 2020 owners? I know some of us are a little bummed out about the 2021 and its new updates. But some software updates would definitely make some of us more cheerful.

"There are new strut tower braces made from aluminum that connect to the radiator, retuned dampers, and new front and rear bump stops. The programming for the active rear differential, adaptive suspension, electric power steering, and stability control has also been revised."

As far as the suspension dampening and power steering, from what I read, its a programming update? You guys think Toyota would at least offer free software updates to our cars for the new updated suspension, power steering, and active diff programming. As far as the front strut bar. That could be easily added from Toyota.. I mean its a small consolation. Somebody said Toyota said something about backyards compatibility, I am assuming they were speaking of vehicle software updates.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Until the parts catalogue for MY 2021 is a available, we won't know whether the new car has a different spring rate and dampers that have been valved differently.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Much needed gauges in sports displays

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Much needed gauges in sports displays
that alone would make me feel a-little better and let us know they didn’t forget about the 2020 owners. Lol

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
The statement said programming so I assumed that meant software revision.
I am hope we get more additional gauge information display updates as well....
The press release says new damper tuning which could mean that they have been valved differently, which means different hardware.

As I said previously, the parts catalogue for the 2021 MY will confirm whether the adaptive dampers have the same parts number as those for the 2020 MY.

"
Retuned Chassis for Supra 3.0
The 2020 GR Supra won praise for its ride/handling balance, but even the exceptional can be improved. Seeking increased roll resistance and enhanced cornering stability, Toyota retuned the Supra 3.0 chassis, adding lightweight aluminum braces that tie the strut towers to the radiator support to increase lateral rigidity, along with front and rear bump stops and new damper tuning. Revised programming for the electric power steering (EPS), Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Active Differential works in concert with the hardware changes to make the 2021 Supra more stable through quick transitions, such as compound turns. "

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
"
Retuned Chassis for Supra 3.0
The 2020 GR Supra won praise for its ride/handling balance, but even the exceptional can be improved. Seeking increased roll resistance and enhanced cornering stability, Toyota retuned the Supra 3.0 chassis, adding lightweight aluminum braces that tie the strut towers to the radiator support to increase lateral rigidity, along with front and rear bump stops and new damper tuning. Revised programming for the electric power steering (EPS), Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Active Differential works in concert with the hardware changes to make the 2021 Supra more stable through quick transitions, such as compound turns. "
After reading that I suspect the marketing department (and possibly we owners) may be making too much out of these programming changes. As you point out, there are hardware changes. Naturally, the systems that dial in adjustments all need to be tuned to work together to deliver the total driving experience with the new dynamics that hardware imposes.

I suspect it isn’t going to be much more than that - just making the adjustments to compensate for the new hardware.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
of course they won't, why would they? seriously surprised anyone expected anything less? If you buy a new PC and it's outdated within 6 months, too bad...

Any backwards revision updates will have to be paid for too

Prodrift

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
of course they won't, why would they? seriously surprised anyone expected anything less? If you buy a new PC and it's outdated within 6 months, too bad...

Any backwards revision updates will have to be paid for too
Can’t think of any PC’s I’ve had that cost me $62,000 like my Supra did tho lol if it was just a PC I wouldn’t care as much and I don’t think many other owners would either. Same thing with the $1,000 iPhone comparison...

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
GM allowed for the Transmission and Shock tuning flashes to older models... so it's 'possible'. Would be nice if they decided to offer it for a couple hundred dollars.

Best regards,
Dave

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Can’t think of any PC’s I’ve had that cost me $62,000 like my Supra did tho lol if it was just a PC I wouldn’t care as much and I don’t think many other owners would either. Same thing with the $1,000 iPhone comparison...
yeah. Those two were really bad comparisons. I mean the IPhone gets software updates monthly. Why can’t the 2020 Supra? Lol

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
like for like guys

If you buy an expensive PC, it's still going to be outdated. Just like a semi-expensive car.

It happens with every manufacturer.

W211 AMG, was 6.2, then update to 5.5 turbo
W210 AMG, was 5.4, then update to 6.2 just as examples

It is not uncommon - and we all knew it was coming.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
GM allowed for the Transmission and Shock tuning flashes to older models... so it's 'possible'. Would be nice if they decided to offer it for a couple hundred dollars.

Best regards,
Dave
Again, we’re assuming these code changes magically unlock some new capabilities or higher level of performance. I say it’s far more likely that the code changes are only compensation for the new hardware.

Will the new code+new hardware be better? Probably ever so slightly, but I wouldn’t expect flashing the new code onto our cars to be beneficial. Probably just the opposite without the new hardware.
Sponsored