New Toyota Supra will reportedly launch at Geneva Motor Show (per Auto Express)

Anyone going to the New York Auto Show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...o-debut-at-geneva-2018-in-four-states-of-tune

New Toyota Supra set to debut at Geneva 2018 in four states of tune

New Toyota Supra to be sold under Gazoo Racing name, and be offered in Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport and Supra GRMN forms in 2019

Toyota's revived Supra is just weeks away from launch, as the official unveiling is all set for the 2018 Geneva Motor Show. The sports car, developed jointly with BMW, won't be sold with Toyota badges, and will instead feature the Gazoo Racing nameplate.

Insiders claim tht the new Supra will come in four different states of tune; as the basic Supra, as a Supra GR, as a Supra GR Sport, and finally as a Supra GRMN. Expect a significant gap in performance and price between the base Supra and the GR sport, with variations in suspension tune also likely.

“The Supra will be by Gazoo,” the performance division, Shigeki Tomoyama, told Auto Express late last year. The news comes after it transpired that the Gazoo Racing team became more heavily involved in the car’s development – after Toyota president Akio Toyoda tested the vehicle and decided it needed to be “more mobile”. Prototype cars have since been given more of an edge to what was a fairly benign initial set-up.

The Supra’s sister vehicle, the BMW Z4, is expected in showrooms next year, but Tomoyama hinted that the Gazoo creation may not arrive until the second half of 2019.

While the BMW will be sold only as a convertible, the Supra will be a fixed-roof coupe. It’s likely that the Gazoo-badged car will use bigger, six-cylinder engines, too.

As the owner of a 600bhp carbon fibre-bodied previous-generation Supra, Gazoo boss Tomoyama said that the new car will need to attract fans of the classic models.

“The new car has to appeal to the existing owners first,” he told us. “The old cars had a straight-six engine, twin turbos and rear-wheel drive; the new car must have the same philosophy.”

There’s a chance Toyota and Gazoo will look to their Le Mans race cars for added hybrid tech. The new model is said to weigh between 1,200kg and 1,500kg, with Gazoo using the BMW M4 Coupe and Porsche 911 as benchmarks.

As with all other GR models, such as the Yaris GRMN, the company will offer an extensive range of aftermarket tuning parts for the new sports car. Prices will be announced closer to the car’s showroom debut.
Sponsored

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Wow.

Supra. Supra GR. Supra GR Sport. Supra GRMN.

Sounds like they're pretty inspired by the 911 business model. :lol::confused1:

Geneva is what, March 8th? Article says "weeks away." Hm.

Last edited by a moderator:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Wow.

And also...

"The sports car, developed jointly with BMW, won't be sold with Toyota badges, and will instead feature the Gazoo Racing nameplate."

So you'll have a Gazoo Racing Supra GR? I'm still not understanding how everyone is saying that the car will be badged as a Gazoo Racing Supra, rather than a Toyota Supra GR.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Wow.

So in other words: shitty 4 banger B48 w/ 200hp, slightly less shitty 4 banger B48 w/ 250hp, B58 w/ 350hp, and top of the line B58 w/ 385hp.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, I have no idea how they're going to reconcile 4 performance trim levels, but I also doubt NA will be getting anything more than two anyways (we've discussed that part before).

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I just hope we get the tip-top trims in the USA. It seems like the Japanese are more willing to bring the good stuff here these days, but seems like they love to keep the best stuff at home.

After waiting for literally four years, Geneva can't come quick enough.

Nic.CH

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris GRMN, Toyota Corolla Levin 1600 GT (AE86), Toyota GT86
J'espère que c'est vrai et que chez Toyota Suisse reçoivent une voiture test pour le salon de Genève. Je suis impatient.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Toyota Supra to bow in Geneva in four trims under Gazoo Racing brand

he 2018 Geneva Motor Show, two months hence, will serve to intoduce the production Toyota Supra into the world. Rather, not the Toyota Supra, but the Gazoo Racing Supra; Toyota's new hi-po sportscar will retail under Gazoo Racing branding, after Toyota knighted Gazoo as the automaker's performance arm last year. According to Auto Express, the Supra will come in four trims: Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN (GRMN stands for Gazoo Racing tuned by Meisters of the Nürburgring). The report says a "significant gap in performance and price" and different suspension tunes are likely from bottom to top.

Last year, a leaked document made Supra watchers suspect three BMW-derived engines would serve the four-trim Supra range: the BMW 20i, 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder; the more powerful BMW 30i, 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder; and the BMW 40i, 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder. Commenters suspected that only the two most powerful engines would come to the U.S.

The latest intel, however, says that all versions will come with an inline six-cylinder engine sending all its grunt to the back wheels. That would align with statements from Gazoo Racing president Shigeki Tomoyama, who said, "The new car has to appeal to the existing owners first. The old cars had a straight-six engine, twin turbos and rear-wheel drive; the new car must have the same philosophy." The known benchmarks for the Supra, the BMW M3 and M4, and Porsche 911, lend more credence to the idea of six-cylinder exclusivity.

All-wheel drive and a hybrid powertrain might appear down the road, but it looks like a manual transmission will not. We're in the dark on the weight - many seem hopeful that the hardtop-only coupe will come in under 3,300 pounds - but we've been promised 50/50 weight distribution. A thorough aftermarket parts program is already in the works. There'll be a lengthy span between reveal and retail purchases, though – Supra deliveries might not begin until 2019.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/13/toyota-supra-gazoo-racing-geneva-motor-show/#slide-7132085

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
...and I'm married to Minka Kelly.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Considering Caymans outperform a base 911, i would be hoping for better performance, but maybe it's the 911 s?
Current 718s have as much power as the base 370hp 911 but with significantly less weight and mid engined .

Of course I'm not expecting a super car ( and the 718 GTS is 90k here), I'm sure they are both guarded and conservative in their numbers.

I actually can't tell you what I'm looking for. Maybe not be embarrassed by the 2018 mustangs which I can safely say cost less.

Status
Not open for further replies.