Featured New Toyota Supra will reportedly launch at Geneva Motor Show (per Auto Express)

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by BrettS, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Anyone going to the New York Auto Show?

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. No

75.0%
  3. Maybe

12.5%
  1. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2011 gti
    Liked:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...o-debut-at-geneva-2018-in-four-states-of-tune

New Toyota Supra set to debut at Geneva 2018 in four states of tune

New Toyota Supra to be sold under Gazoo Racing name, and be offered in Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport and Supra GRMN forms in 2019

Toyota's revived Supra is just weeks away from launch, as the official unveiling is all set for the 2018 Geneva Motor Show. The sports car, developed jointly with BMW, won't be sold with Toyota badges, and will instead feature the Gazoo Racing nameplate.

Insiders claim tht the new Supra will come in four different states of tune; as the basic Supra, as a Supra GR, as a Supra GR Sport, and finally as a Supra GRMN. Expect a significant gap in performance and price between the base Supra and the GR sport, with variations in suspension tune also likely.

“The Supra will be by Gazoo,” the performance division, Shigeki Tomoyama, told Auto Express late last year. The news comes after it transpired that the Gazoo Racing team became more heavily involved in the car’s development – after Toyota president Akio Toyoda tested the vehicle and decided it needed to be “more mobile”. Prototype cars have since been given more of an edge to what was a fairly benign initial set-up.

The Supra’s sister vehicle, the BMW Z4, is expected in showrooms next year, but Tomoyama hinted that the Gazoo creation may not arrive until the second half of 2019.

While the BMW will be sold only as a convertible, the Supra will be a fixed-roof coupe. It’s likely that the Gazoo-badged car will use bigger, six-cylinder engines, too.

As the owner of a 600bhp carbon fibre-bodied previous-generation Supra, Gazoo boss Tomoyama said that the new car will need to attract fans of the classic models.

“The new car has to appeal to the existing owners first,” he told us. “The old cars had a straight-six engine, twin turbos and rear-wheel drive; the new car must have the same philosophy.”

There’s a chance Toyota and Gazoo will look to their Le Mans race cars for added hybrid tech. The new model is said to weigh between 1,200kg and 1,500kg, with Gazoo using the BMW M4 Coupe and Porsche 911 as benchmarks.

As with all other GR models, such as the Yaris GRMN, the company will offer an extensive range of aftermarket tuning parts for the new sports car. Prices will be announced closer to the car’s showroom debut.

Supra93, vb22, Spilner and 2 others like this.
  2. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    #2 Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
    Wow.

Supra. Supra GR. Supra GR Sport. Supra GRMN.

Sounds like they're pretty inspired by the 911 business model. :lol::confused1:

Geneva is what, March 8th? Article says "weeks away." Hm.

3. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    unknown
    Liked:
    Geneva huh? weird... :D

tisdrew, Blupra, 2JZ-No-Sh*t and 5 others like this.
  4. Guff

Guff Moderator
    Staff Member

Car(s):
    FR-S, BRZ, Supra, Mini Cooper
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Let's see!

A70TTR likes this.
  5. metzger

metzger Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    IS350F
    Liked:
    And also...

"The sports car, developed jointly with BMW, won't be sold with Toyota badges, and will instead feature the Gazoo Racing nameplate."

So you'll have a Gazoo Racing Supra GR? I'm still not understanding how everyone is saying that the car will be badged as a Gazoo Racing Supra, rather than a Toyota Supra GR.

6. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    So in other words: shitty 4 banger B48 w/ 200hp, slightly less shitty 4 banger B48 w/ 250hp, B58 w/ 350hp, and top of the line B58 w/ 385hp.

7. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    unknown
    Liked:
    yeah, I have no idea how they're going to reconcile 4 performance trim levels, but I also doubt NA will be getting anything more than two anyways (we've discussed that part before).

SupraStew85, vb22 and Mr.Jay like this.
  8. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    I just hope we get the tip-top trims in the USA. It seems like the Japanese are more willing to bring the good stuff here these days, but seems like they love to keep the best stuff at home.

After waiting for literally four years, Geneva can't come quick enough.

Supra93 and A70TTR like this.
  9. Nic.CH

Nic.CH Member

First Name:
    Nicolas
    Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    J'espère que c'est vrai et que chez Toyota Suisse reçoivent une voiture test pour le salon de Genève. Je suis impatient.

10. Spilner

Spilner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    earl
    Car(s):
    none
    Liked:

11. johnny_10196

johnny_10196 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:

12. RyleyMA61

RyleyMA61 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    People really took the "The new Supra will be by Gazoo" thing literally didn't they?

Supra93, A70TTR, johnny_10196 and 2 others like this.
  13. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Nissan 300ZX 5spd
    Liked:
    Software Engineer
    Garage Profiles:
    ...and I'm married to Minka Kelly.

14. Haros

Haros Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Seatless unicycle
    Liked:
    Considering Caymans outperform a base 911, i would be hoping for better performance, but maybe it's the 911 s?
    Current 718s have as much power as the base 370hp 911 but with significantly less weight and mid engined .

Of course I'm not expecting a super car ( and the 718 GTS is 90k here), I'm sure they are both guarded and conservative in their numbers.

I actually can't tell you what I'm looking for. Maybe not be embarrassed by the 2018 mustangs which I can safely say cost less.

15. Spilner

Spilner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    earl
    Car(s):
    none
    Liked:
    They sure did!

A70TTR likes this.