News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
taken from the behind the design of the new GR 86, but whats that under the blue cover? im just speculating but maybe an early mock up of the next Supra? :popcorn:

EyTJgvkVcAE3flX.jpg
Some things are pretty predictable... Got my popcorn ready for when everyone finds out its just an 86 under the tarp and then loses their collective minds because the a100 doesn't have a 1000hp 2jz like the mkiv.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It could be anything
Some things are pretty predictable... Got my popcorn ready for when everyone finds out its just an 86 under the tarp and then loses their collective minds because the a100 doesn't have a 1000hp 2jz like the mkiv.
It is most likely another 86 under there.

What concerns me is whether or not there will be an A100 generation the way Toyota has been hinting about the Supra ending after this current series. I hope thatā€™s just their way of keeping a tight lip about future projects. It would be completely stupid to bring the model back for only one generation.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
It could be anything

It is most likely another 86 under there.

What concerns me is whether or not there will be an A100 generation the way Toyota has been hinting about the Supra ending after this current series. I hope thatā€™s just their way of keeping a tight lip about future projects. It would be completely stupid to bring the model back for only one generation.
technically BMW does this with their M-cars, and while yes, they have a full lineup on that platform, but you only see that M car for 3-4 years before they move onto the next platform.

I totally see Toyota making the Supra a super limited run.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
technically BMW does this with their M-cars, and while yes, they have a full lineup on that platform, but you only see that M car for 3-4 years before they move onto the next platform.

I totally see Toyota making the Supra a super limited run.
But the Z4 and Supra 3.0L models are not M cars. Theyā€™re regular production models.

Toyota is beginning to sound like they plan to discontinue the Supra model yet again after only one new generation but that hasnā€™t been their way in the past. Part of the reasoning is suggested to involve their only wanting the driveline to be pure gasoline without any electrification. For the A90 thatā€™s totally fine and preferred honestly. But that shouldnā€™t be an excuse (which is what it would amount to) for Toyota to kill off their halo sports model just after having brought it back.

I can see them possibly doing this as well but it will be quite short sighted if they do. We already want them to try a little harder with the A90ā€™s features and lack of options. Not doing an A100 would be not trying at all.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
But the Z4 and Supra 3.0L models are not M cars. Theyā€™re regular production models.

Toyota is beginning to sound like they plan to discontinue the Supra model yet again after only one new generation but that hasnā€™t been their way in the past. Part of the reasoning is suggested to involve their only wanting the driveline to be pure gasoline without any electrification. For the A90 thatā€™s totally fine and preferred honestly. But that shouldnā€™t be an excuse (which is what it would amount to) for Toyota to kill off their halo sports model just after having brought it back.

I can see them possibly doing this as well but it will be quite short sighted if they do. We already want them to try a little harder with the A90ā€™s features and lack of options. Not doing an A100 would be not trying at all.
While the Z4 is a regular production car for BMW, the Supra isnt for Toyota. The Z4 currently also wouldnt exist without Toyota as BMW had stopped production of the last Z4 back in 2016 and had no plans to bring it back.

Halo cars also dont mean a car will stay in production. Theres been plenty of halo cars in the past that were very limited in their production. The LFA for one, the BMW Z8, and the Ford GT as some examples. Now while i did say that i see Toyota ending production in 2025 as has been hinted at, theres also nothing stating they couldnt release a MKVI Supra in another decade or so. Like Honda has done with the NSX or the GTR or the Ford GT. Remember Toyota has the GR Corolla on the horizon as well as there being a rumored MR-2. A small break in the production of the Supra could very easily make way for these cars.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
If they really are planning to end production of the Zupra in 2025 then right now would sound about right to start the planning process and draw up some new designs :yes:
There had been speculation about an EV Supra. As time marches forward there could be much stronger incentives to get away from gassers. Wonder if an EV version might be nearer than we think.

BimYotaZupra

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
The roofline on the two aren't even the same. The 86 is more bubbly while the car under the blue cover has more of angular slope. Reminds me a lot of the 07 FT-HS concept.
roof.jpg

There had been speculation about an EV Supra. As time marches forward there could be much stronger incentives to get away from gassers. Wonder if an EV version might be nearer than we think.
This is Toyota we're talking about. We won't see an EV Supra until 2040 :lol:

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Even if whatever that is laying under the blue car cover is related to an A100 a lot can still change during the early stage. It could just be one of several design proposals. Not to mention it could be scrapped by the bean counters and never see the light of day (FT-HS). I wouldn't get to overly excited until we see test mules hitting the streets.

BimYotaZupra

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
Toyota backed themselves into a corner for the A100 assuming BMW is no longer in the picture. The A90 chassis is incredible and I donā€™t see the A100 being an improvement if they are using a Mazda/Lexus commuter car platform. It would be great if they use the space frame chassis that Mazda patented, but thereā€™s no way an inline 6 will fit.
Mazda makes some great great handling cars. Even the hideous RX8 was pretty fun to drive.

OP
OP
vb22

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
The roofline on the two aren't even the same. The 86 is more bubbly while the car under the blue cover has more of angular slope. Reminds me a lot of the 07 FT-HS concept.
roof.jpg

This is Toyota we're talking about. We won't see an EV Supra until 2040 :lol:
The 86 from the same angle is definitely more round.

20210405-gr86-ext-01.jpg

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300